VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I keep hitting dead ends with my searches, or getting what I'm not looking for. Please help me to learn the correct terminology so I can search my problem.

When you have recorded to a dvd and the picture is not sharp. Its actually making boxes. Especially when there is action. Also more apparent when recorded at longer speeds like LP and SLP versus HQ or SP.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Welcome to VH

making boxes
    Pixelation ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixelation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Artifacts

Click on the "GLOSSARY" button to the left and scroll down the "A" section until you get to "artifacts"

Basically - glitches introduced into the video (or audio) during the conversion process from one format to another.
    Don't worry.......we'll be alright...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The exact term is "macroblocks". Macroblocks are a compression artifact that happen when you don't give your video enough bitrate. It is not pixelation/aliasing.

Which DVD recorder are you using? There is no set standard for what "SP" or "LP" means, each company sort of makes up their own definition. Some machines are just not very good and add blocks to pretty much everything (Panasonic is very guilty of this).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an RCA Combo unit RCA DRC8335.
    Speeds on my unit:
    HQ: 1Hr
    SP: 2
    LP: 3
    EP: 4
    EP+: 7
    SLP: 8

I think that right. I'm at work W/o the manual.

Well I'm getting these Macroblocks on nearly every speed I try to record at. I stupidly tried the transfer of a SLP recorded VHS at the 7hr speed. Well that obviosly came out aweful. So I tried LP (3hrs) thought from what I read this is Equivalant to SP on a tape. Nopw still aweful. Then I said one last try: SP (2hrs) Ok its still no where close to the original and has these Macroblocks even durinf slow action or pans.

I searched a bit online and read that the HQ produced DVD quaility reproductions. The SP produced a quality a bit better then VHS SP. Then the LP was equivalent to SP on VHS. Well I have done alot of VHS to VHS recording in the past and had a good idea what I would expect from a VHS duplicate at SP and my results were not that.

I was hoping thru searching here I might determine if my results are typical of all units or just mine. Or even determine if I had a defective unit. I have found nothing in the manual showing that there is a way to adjust anything as far as color, picture resolution or size. Only aspect ratio and wether I want RAw or PCM.

As of now I'm ready to return this one and get a straight recorder that has more adjustabliity & a hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't call it Pixelation. That's very "last century".

Macroblocks is the correct term.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Don't call it Pixelation. That's very "last century".

Macroblocks is the correct term.
    Oh dear!
    Quote Quote