VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone noticed that going from DV to MPEG2 using Main Concept MPEG Encoder it seems to add to frames? Does anyone know how to fix that?
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post an example ? Something like a before g-spot of the DV, and after g-spot of the mpeg, and all your settings in Mainconcept. The Mainconcept encoder is in a lot of software - Premiere, Vegas, etc. If it had such a fundamental flaw then it would be a very widespread problem. Until proven otherwise, I would be leaning toward operator error at this time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I not sure how to post a whole DV video file here and then a MPEG file too. The DV is made from Final Cut and on the timeline it ends on the exact time as specified.. 15 sec is 15 sec etc. THen it's transcoded in Main Concept to MPEG2 and thats when it adds two frames. I can try to do screen shots of settings in Main Concept I never posted like that before though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by neftv
    I not sure how to post a whole DV video file here and then a MPEG file too. The DV is made from Final Cut and on the timeline it ends on the exact time as specified.. 15 sec is 15 sec etc. THen it's transcoded in Main Concept to MPEG2 and thats when it adds two frames. I can try to do screen shots of settings in Main Concept I never posted like that before though.
    Is the number of added frames the same for a 15 sec clip and a 15 minute clip? This could indicate a process start stop error. If the number of frames added is proportional to duration of the clip, the encoder may be the source of the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only did a test at 14 sec and 10, 15, 20, 25, 29 frames and it was consistant with two frames.
    THat GSPOT software can't completely read that DV files like it can from the MPEG file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I only did a test at 14 sec and 10, 15, 20, 25, 29 frames and it was consistant with two frames.
    THat GSPOT software can't completely read that DV files like it can from the MPEG file.
    Is there anything odd about the first and last frame?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Is the number of added frames the same for a 15 sec clip and a 15 minute clip? This could indicate a process start stop error. If the number of frames added is proportional to duration of the clip, the encoder may be the source of the problem.

I was able to get a 5 minute DV file and converted it to MPEG2. In Main Concept Mpeg encoder it showed the input DV file having 8992 frames when converted to MPEG 2 it showed that there is 8993 frames. So in this instance it is a one frame addition.
    Quote Quote  
  8. How are you determining the number of frames? If the last frame number on the timeline is 8992 then there are 8993 frames because the first frame is number 0.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    How are you determining the number of frames? If the last frame number on the timeline is 8992 then there are 8993 frames because the first frame is number 0.
    The software is giving me the actual number. Like I said, in Main Concept there is an input section shows the information on the file it says there are 8992. And I used properties of the final MPEG2 file to get the frames 8993 using ULEAD and MPEG WIzard both gave me the same thing. Not sure how its starting the count but Main Concept seems to add two frame in the transcoding. 2 frames would not bea big deal except when you have a broadcast server that rounds up to the second when its not on the second. I would have to get production to end their peices at 28 frames unless there is a revelation here.
    Quote Quote