VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a ton of home videos on VHS....I want to put these on my computer. Can someone explain to me how I can do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Similarly, I would like my VHS collection preserved onto DVD - however I'm keen to avoid the rather stuttery and blocked pictures I have experienced so far when using my cheap brand standalone DVD recorder (old VHS tapes faded with bad signals and glitches for example tend to digitise badly).

Two questions:-

1] Are there significant improvements in capture quality if I invest in more expensive DVD recorder?

2] What (basically) is involved in capturing and burning through my computer if this can achieve better results than any new DVD recorder? Could someone advise what hardware might be needed, and the general 'ripping/converting' method for best results?

I am assuming one should not 'encode' the VHS films to anything like AVI, to preserve quality - perhaps there is a more direct method.

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For starters you can read this: www.nepadigital.com/articles/analog-capture.php

Check the restoration forum here for advice on analog hardware to use prior to capture. The VHS deck you're suing can make a world of difference as can the capture device.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    like that nepadigital link, I second their nomination for the Hauppauge PVR-250 card that I have. Saved many of my VHS tapes from oblivion. Good thing about the card is it ignores Macrovision, so if you are doing a commercial tape, it's a godsend. You can also specify variable or constant bitrate, and the framesize, and even can choose between VCD mpeg-1 or DVD-compliant MPEG-2.
    Thanks to this card, I can finally watch Time Walker and Peter Paul and Mommy, Too over and over again, without fear of the tape wearing out or being eaten by my VCR.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hubie , you want an MCE edition ... And welcome

foxbox , you dont

It will also come down to current pc setup in relation to already installed pci cards ... You cant just jam them in just because you have an available slot , which is why many run into problems .

A few also like to be in a specific slot in order to function correctly , rather than other available pci slots .

Usb also have issues to be aware of as well , and may not get along with other usb connected devices concurrently connected to pc .

This is where you need to add up the current usage of each device , to find the total current draw max requirement .

My avertv usb2 devices (avermedia) , requires 2 amps just on its own , and there is no way in hell , such a device should be directly connected to a pc .

I use a belkin usb2 hub which comes with its own power adapter , that supplys a max of 2 amps , and it works well as interface between the avertv and the pc without fault .

These are the things you need to include when making the decision to purchase such products .
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just plugged my VCR into a dvd recorder and then just recorded it onto a DVD-RW. Took it to my computer and used VOB2MPG to convert files to mpg. Also you could have a vid cam (DV) that has AV in/out and plug the VCR into the camera and then plug it into the firewire port in your computer. Mine turned out very well, but the only thing was the way the tape was recorded... terrible. Dvd quality was great, but it didnt look like it because of the tape lol. WARNING: I am not a professional, this is from expirience
    LITEON man!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVD burner on my computer....is this the same thing as a DVD recorder? Also, I have the Haupage PVR-150 MCE so I think that would work. Here's the question...since I have the right hardware, what exactly do I do to make this work?

How do I record this onto my computer? WHat programs do I open or buttons do I press?

Appreciated,

Hubes
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hubie
    I have a DVD burner on my computer....is this the same thing as a DVD recorder? Also, I have the Haupage PVR-150 MCE so I think that would work. Here's the question...since I have the right hardware, what exactly do I do to make this work?

How do I record this onto my computer? WHat programs do I open or buttons do I press?

Appreciated,

Hubes
    A DVD burner is NOT a DVD recorder!

Yes, you can use the Hauppauge PVR-150 to do this. It's a nice capture card. Basically you connect an S-video out cable from the VCR to the PVR-150 S-video in jack, connect 2 audio out cables from the VCR to the 2 audio input jacks on the PVR-150, start the Win2000 application on your PC, play the settings for Source (you'll have to select S-video) and set the bit rate you want for audio and video and the resolution you want and whether you want MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video, and then press the record button on the Win2000 program. Um, you do have the manual for the PVR-150, right? Because you definitely should read that.

I'm a little concerned by your questions. I have a bad feeling that you don't know enough to really make recording to your PC a good idea. You should really consider buying a good VCR and a standalone DVD recorder to do this as I don't think you're going to get anywhere trying to do this on a PC. You've got a LOT to learn. Nothing wrong with that, but I find that usually most people are too lazy to do the work it takes to record video on a PC. If you want a simple solution, get a good VCR and a good DVD recorder, connect them up S-video and audio out on the VCR to the inputs on the DVD recorder, press play on the VCR, press record on the DVD recorder, and you're set.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on tapes as well ... macrovision found on commercial tapes ... cant tell if card ignores this , but if it dosent , you have to get a video stabilizer to remove it from the signal as it comes into the device .

You may have wintv , which is setup in the same manner as other capture devices .

Audio to linein on pc
    Video in via rca input on capture device
    Set app to source type (pal / nstc)
    Set to VTR only
    Set audio caps device to that of linein on pc hardware ... make sure linein is not set to mute
    Start tape
    Hit record

Its mpeg hardware encoder only , so all you can change is what form of mpeg , and bitrate used

Once thats setup , and recordings have been made , you need to find a method to either edit them or convert directly to dvd

----

Why via rca input ... because they can be as long as you need ... svhs cable's can not , there relatively short for a reason .
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have XP Media Center. That does not have WinTV. What is the Win2000 application? I understand your comments. I may not be an expert but I want to try to do this with the tools I have here (dont want to buy a DVD recorder)....
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You use the progam that comes with the card. If you recorded from TV then its the same thing. Look in the manual.

Once you have the file captured since it's MPEG2 which is already DVD compliant you are going to want to use editng/authoring software that supports MPEG2. The reason being is that it will only reencode where you have made edits preserving the original capture maintaining quality. Ulead Movie Factory or ulead video Studio are two good starter programs.

Get your self a RW disc, capture some short segments preferably with a lot of action in the video. Do some short test runs creating a few DVD's with your RW disc and view on TV, adjust the capture settings until you find a suitable setting. Most likely the "high quality" preset on the capture card is fine. The important thing is you make sure you have the software set up correctly to not reencode the video when creating a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That does not have WinTV.
    Dowload it from Hauppage's site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    Depends on tapes as well ... macrovision found on commercial tapes ... cant tell if card ignores this , but if it dosent , you have to get a video stabilizer to remove it from the signal as it comes into the device . .
    Hauppage cards don't look for MV.
    Quote Quote