VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased a new 500 gig buffalo drivestation combo usb2/firewire drive

specifically for firewire use

the drive does not show up in my computer and cannot be accessed

in control panel/ system/ device mgr/hardware it shows as 'buffalo inc HDD IEEE 1394 SBP2 device

with a yellow conflict flag, nothing I do will enable the drive

I have uninstalled , deleted. disabled, rebooted, numerous times but i can't read or write to it, or access it from my computer. there is NO icon in my computer

I looked for a driver online 'nothing'

the power switch has been tried in both manual & auto modes, automode seems to only work with the USB cable

IF i hook the drive up as USB it works ( is in my computer and is accessable ) and is show as a samsung drive in system

but it does not function in firewire windows says my 1394 port is working find,only the drive is not accessible even thought it shows in system with the conflict flag, this is the ONLY firewire device i have, it is my first atempt at using a firewire drive

and my main reason for buying the drive was too gain the firewire speed for video transfers and processing

any help is appreciated, before i get too frustrated and take it back to the store
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you also have usb2 that would probably suffice speed wise. for firewire you could try going to the control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management and seeing if the drive shows up there but needs a drive letter assigned or something....
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i tried that, it doesn''t show up in disc management

and USB2 is too slow, i have another drive a 250 gig acom drive on USB2, its OK for a transfer, but is too slow for encoding, to use it as a source or destination drive. it really slows down cce and GFD

forcing me to keep space on the internal HHD and suffer with the drive thrashing i want to avoid
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it should be in disc management. try scrolling down in the bottom pane to see if it is listed but unallocated. if so right click on it and partition it. then it might also need a drive letter assigned. if it's not there at all it is defective.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My last computer was a store bought Sony Vaio that had FireWire but turned it off by default. You can to go into the control panel system hardware profile thingie and turn it on.

Just a thought.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what OS are you using?
    if VISTA, there's problems... google Firewire Vista to see what's up
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    win XP SP2, windows hardware device mgr says my firewire ( 1394 port ) is enable and working

in device mgr the drive is identified and has the YELOW EXCLAIMATION for conflict

i get an 'error 10' device will not turn on

error in device mgr

neither buffalotech.com knowledge base or google has been helpful yet
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it's showing up in even splatted, that means firewire is turned on. If you have any other firewire devices you can try, you might want to make sure the port is working properly.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be a bad port. Do you have any other firewire devices to test it? Like a video camera
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard

i get an 'error 10' device will not turn on
    Error 10 means that you have problem with driver or conflict. I had a simillar issue with USB2 and it was real pain in the ass to get this going.
    moved to another forum, nobody likes me here...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may want to uninstall it in control panel.

Then have control panel search for new devices.

If it doesn't install the correct driver, you may have to uninstall it, and clear it from the registry.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by theewizard

and USB2 is too slow, i have another drive a 250 gig acom drive on USB2, its OK for a transfer, but is too slow for encoding, to use it as a source or destination drive. it really slows down cce and GFD

forcing me to keep space on the internal HHD and suffer with the drive thrashing i want to avoid
    TRANSFER RATE
    up to 480Mbps (USB 2.0)
    up to 400Mbps (FireWire)
    Hunting, sure i'll go hunting. When is cow season?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgm4883

TRANSFER RATE
    up to 480Mbps (USB 2.0)
    up to 400Mbps (FireWire)
    Firewire is sustained rate, USB2 has far too much handshaking going on that it is, in real life, far slower.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Richard_G
    Originally Posted by tgm4883

TRANSFER RATE
    up to 480Mbps (USB 2.0)
    up to 400Mbps (FireWire)
    Firewire is sustained rate, USB2 has far too much handshaking going on that it is, in real life, far slower.
    Ah, did not know that. That's probably why there isn't a USB3 then
    Hunting, sure i'll go hunting. When is cow season?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is my only 'firewire' device, there is nothing else to conflict with and nothing else i can use to test the port, which device mgr, says is working correctly

I will have to try the control panel un-install, and maybe try installing during a safe mode boot up ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try uninstalling from devices. unplug drive cable. reboot. turn on drive and then plug it in.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tried that, same results..

I think i'll take it back to the store
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless I'm working with DV or uncompressed video, I haven't noticed any difference between my external fireweire and USB 2.0 HDs.

Surely USB 2.0 will still write faster than an encoder can churn out?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe too obvious but.... I don't have one but I wonder, is the drive properly formatted? Have you tried to boot to dos only and then run fdisk or your manufacturer's supplied partitioning and formatting software. If the drive is not already partitioned and formatted and it was on any other controller (ide, sata) I think you would have the same problems as you mention now with the firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What cable did you get with it ?

Both six and 4 wire cable supply comms for device , but only the six wire supplys voltage ... causes exclamation on device to show ... or error 10 .

Same funny bussiness with optical drives .

If 12 volt supply is at fault , both bios and system will show device as working , yet tray will not open .
    If 5 volt supply fails , both bios and system cannot see device , even through tray can be opened and closed by button .

If using 6 wire , check with a replacement ... could be bad cable .

----

Make sure you follow the precautions when it comes to connecting external devices via usb / ieee , or accidental short may cause device to malfunction .
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    Maybe too obvious but.... I don't have one but I wonder, is the drive properly formatted? Have you tried to boot to dos only and then run fdisk or your manufacturer's supplied partitioning and formatting software. If the drive is not already partitioned and formatted and it was on any other controller (ide, sata) I think you would have the same problems as you mention now with the firewire.
    from my first post
    IF i hook the drive up as USB it works ( is in my computer and is accessable ) and is show as a samsung drive in system
    the drive is formatted , it works as a USB drive, it is not working on the firewire port

@bjs this is a HARD drive 500 gig, NO tray, the cable is a 4 wire on one end at the PC and 6 wire on the other end plugged into the drive about 3ft long, it CAME with the drive, the drive has USB, 4 pin firewire and 6 pin wire wire ports

the instructions & pictures say & show using that cable to connect to the PC

i also tried another longer cable, with the same connectors, and got the same result
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    took the buffalo drivestation combo back to the store 'frys' and bought a Acomdata 500 gig firewire drive

brought it home hooked it up, and it is working just fine
    using a 6ft retractable fire wire cable

4 pin to 6 pin, the same cable i tried with the drivestation

the new acomdata came with a 6 pin only cable , and has (2) 6 pin wirefire ports and (1) USB port

I'll do some encode tests tommorrow

thanks to all..
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, i have done 2 conversions and am happy to report that the firewire drive is working nicely

source avi on C frame serving cce with out put on the FW HDD, 10-15% speed up in the conversion

source mpv on the FW HDD, DG pulldown output to C, 120min26sec source pulldowned in 23 minutes

done over twice as fast as c drive alone

author with GFD from c to FW 8 minutes, elapsed time about 6 times faster than R/W on c alone with 4 gig files and drive thrashing

like i said in the first post, it ried to do this with a USB2 HHD, and it was slower than using c alone

I am happy with the FW HHD
    Quote Quote