VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When recording with my Sony "DVDirect" VRD-MC3, I get the error, "Copy Protection Signal Detected: Cannot Record". This is occuring when trying to transfer specific content from my comcast cable box's DVR to a DVD so I can free up room on the DVR. Some content I can see as "sensitive" to recording (i.e. recent Sopranos) but other content works fine. Any solutions? Do I need an additional device? If I can get a refund, should I and put the money into another DVD burner that may not have such extensive copyright issues? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help one may offer.

thanks, cw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The copy protection flag is being used more and more in the US (and will eventually pollute the rest of the world as well, I guess). Putting a TBC between the two devices might strip out the signal. I believe all DVD recorders being sold in the US must, by law, observe and honour the copy protection flag. Expect the situation to get a lot worse over the next year or so.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Return the dvd recorder for a refund - cancel HBO - and go back to a vhs tape recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A friend of mine had the same problem with the copy protection flag of cable and satellite broadcasts. Although I thought it was a bit pricey, he bought the unit shown here...

http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

...and says it works like a charm.

I, however, have DVD recorders that have been hacked so they do not recognize any copy protection be it Macrovision, CGMS/a, or the broadcast copy protection flag. Since they are no longer in production, I use them only when needed, but they can be found on eBay.

Gateway AR-230
    ILO DVDR04
    LiteOn LVW-5001

I don't know of any recently manufactured DVD recorder that can be hacked in order to not recognize copy protections.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIR Liteon 5001 never had any built-in 'crap protection' so Im curious - what exactly have you 'hacked' in it? (and othe r2)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Return the recorder. It's primary purpose is to convert widescreen DV camcorder footage directly to DVD without use of a PC.

"Record your favorite TV shows and movies", or similar words, are used to "SELL" DVD recorders. And I think this was true of all the older ones, EXCEPT perhaps the ones from Sony. And this may still be true with the new ones if you record to a $10.00 DVD-RAM disk.......one copy only!

I've never used anything but VCR's and PC based TV tuner cards. The Hauppage PVR 250 is immune to broadcast flags and MV....add $50 for VideoRedo and don't buy the MCE version....will need to edit the registry to increase sharpness and lower both the tuner and line-in volume.

Why not archive the Sopranos to VHS? I doubt if the comcast box outputs a MV signal. And really, how many times will you watch them anyway? If you like them that much, there are other alternatives when they are released on DVD.

A friend recently purchased the cheapest DVD recorder he could find at Sam's Club and used it to burn PPV movies from DirectTv which were recorder on an older Tivo Box. He had no problems.

For every hour I record on the PC, I probably record 4 hours with a VCR. Effortless portability, no processing time, far better recording time verses quality than any DVD recorder, commercial skip when needed, and the ability to tape over that which you don't want anymore.

The broadcast flags may soon become almost universal on Cable and Sat TV and the OTA boys are pushing hard for it as the analog deadline nears. The newer DVD recorders will then be nothing more than expensive DVD players.

I never did see the value in HBO....maybe 4 or 6 decent movies a month and the rest trash. If it's movies you want, drop HBO and open a netflix account. Let netflix be your archives and let HBO suck air.

I personally don't watch enough movies per month to benefit from netflix. But I know several people who have dropped all their movie channels, turned to netflix, and saved some real doe.
    Quote Quote