VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all.

I've been struggling for the last few days, because I usually think that you learn best by trying yourself. However, I've come to a stop and now I come here, humble, and hope a friendly soul can help me. I've searched the topics, but haven't come up with anything that answers my question. Anyway, here goes.

I use fraps to record movies, from the active output in windows. The source is a full screen application, running in 1920x1200 resolution. The recording works fine, and I get some nice output files.

Untill now I have edited it all in Windows Movie Maker, but wanted something a bit more flexible. So I went for Sony Vegas, I've fpound out most editing functions that I need and have made a project thet I'd like to make into a video. This is where my problem occurs. The raw material takes up around 16 Gb, then I add a soundtrack, Opening titles, a few basic transitions and credits. I render it and I come up with a file 100Gb+, which is okay since I render it uncompressed, wanting to compress it in virtual dub with Divx Codec and Mpeg3 on the sound. However I can't get Virtual Dub to compress it.

So basically I have a raw feed in 1920x1200 resolution captured with Fraps.

Which settings should I create the project with in Vegas?
    Which settings should I render it with when done?
    Which settings should I use in Virtual Dub when compressing?
    Is there a better codec for me to use than Divx for this?

The playback will be on computers, it will probably never see a tv screen or projector.

I'm sorry to ask such a trivial question, but I hope someone can help me to go a bit further.

Best Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Missing information.

What frame rate was your fraps source file?

Fraps is a progressive sequence right?

What project setting did you use for Vegas? 1080 50i? 1920x1200p?

What were your output ("Render As") settings?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The framerate is 29.97 on the sourcefile.

I have to admit that I don't know that. (I've made a quick google, but I'm at work so will have to get home to dig into this)

The current project settings for Vegas are: 192ox1200

The output settings: I've tried so many by now. But here's what I've found logical to use (and did a few times):
    .AVI file, best quality, project resolution and no compression on both video and audio.

I've read loads of guides on other resolutions, but it seems like this specific resolution is not very widely used, and I suspect this is the reason for some of my problems
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devizboy
    The framerate is 29.97 on the sourcefile.

I have to admit that I don't know that. (I've made a quick google, but I'm at work so will have to get home to dig into this)

The current project settings for Vegas are: 192ox1200

The output settings: I've tried so many by now. But here's what I've found logical to use (and did a few times):
    .AVI file, best quality, project resolution and no compression on both video and audio.

I've read loads of guides on other resolutions, but it seems like this specific resolution is not very widely used, and I suspect this is the reason for some of my problems
    Vegas is adaptable but I wonder if divx can handle other than standard 1920x1080 29.97 or 25fps. I've never tried.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so basically I want to create (or at least render the project) as 1920x1080?

Really appreciate your quick answers here
    Quote Quote  
  6. Divx and Xvid have no problems with large frame sizes and odd frame rates. The frame size does need to be -- I forget -- either a multiple of 2 or 4. So a size like 1921x1079 won't work. But 1920x1080 will. I've use much larger frames than that. You probably won't get smooth playback of 1920x1200 29.97 fps video. Actually, you probably didn't get a smooth capture at that size to begin with.

What exactly do you mean by "I can't get Virtual Dub to compress it"? Where exactly do you have a problem? When you open the source file? When you select the compression codec? As you're saving the file? What goes wrong? Is there an error message?

You should be able to open the fraps file directly with VirtualDub too. I believe a VFW version of the fraps video codec comes with fraps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I open the file in Virtualdub, I select the compression, but when I want to save it, it fails. My mind just went blank on me, so I can't recall the error message, but I'll be home in a few hours to follow up on this.

The capture is actually smooth, I'm no pro but with my eyes it runs smoothly. I can also do the playback. But now you mention it, when I have rendered it in Vegas the file size increase dramatically (the files from Fraps is around 16 Gb) but after render, where I've added a few transitions, titles and credits it's 100 Gb+ and becomes very laggy when played.

Maybe I should attack this from a different angle.

When I capture with Fraps I more or less have to do it in 1920x1200, since it's my native resolution on my screen. So I'm not sure this is a parameter that should be be changed.

When I got these raw files in 1920x1200 @ 29.97 FPS:

Which parameters should I set in the Vegas project? (size/fps etc.)
    Which parameters should I render it with?
    Anything I should know when compressing the output of the above mentioned in Virtual Dub?

I do know that there probably are quite a few options to go with, I'm mostly interested in a widely approved way, that will work. Then I can experiment a little more when I have more time.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try encoding the original FRAPS file without allowing Vegas to mess with it. This will be helpful in isolating your problem area.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, I'm back home and can give a little more detailed info.

I've just tried to compress a file captured by fraps. Which is a 1920x1200p @29,97 FPS.

I opnened the file in Vurtual Dub, selected Video -> Compression. I choose the Divx 6.6.1 codec. push "OK".

Then click File -> Save as AVI...

And then i get this error message:

Video compression error: The source image format is not acceptable. (error code -2)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Go to the Divx configuration dialog from VirtualDub and change the Certification Profile to Unconstrained.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I need to go pro to get the unconstrained option?

I only have these options:

qMobile Profile
    Mobile Profile
    Home Theater Profile
    High Definition Profile
    1080HD mode
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a pro-trial and it did the trick.
    Quote Quote  
  13. High Definition or 1080HD might work with the non-pro version.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll go on experimenting with that.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post, without you I would probably still be tearing out hair.

Cheers guys.
    Quote Quote