VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I created a DVD from a VHS home video source but my DVD player(s) are having trouble keeping up with de-interlacing the material when displaying on a flatscreen. I get hot spots of areas that arent deinterlaced. I was hoping to send out a few copies but can't if it'll look this aweful for people with newer lcd displays.

PowerDVD in Windows studders and jitters trying to deinterlace unless I set it to Bob.
    WinDVD seems to manage fine.
    Faroudja based player has major hot spots
    $20 walmart player - very bad

I captured my old VHS tapes in 720x480 lossless avi, edited full res, exported uncompressed and then encoded in CCE VBR 6mbps average. Am I missing a step? Should I be deinterlacing and then somehow re-interlace with less complicated information?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sounds like you need a better DVD player. What do you expect for $20? Try a different one. It's also possible you reversed the field order. Did you keep the file interlaced all the way through your editing and encoding process? You should never deinterlace or reinterlace stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  3. One of his players is a $20 player. But he also has a Faroudja chipset player, which has about the best deinterlacer in the game. If interlacing gets through it, I suspect something went wrong somewhere along the line.
    Should I be deinterlacing and then somehow re-interlace with less complicated information?
    Possibly (bobbing, then editing/filtering, followed by a reinterlace), depending on the kind of editing/filtering you're doing. A small sample of the CCE result might help. But maybe not, if you did the encoding correctly. More detail on what you did and what you used to do it with might also help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wile_E
    reversed the field order
    Bingo!
    I used ReStream to set field order as lower first and now everything is smooth as silk.
    Thanks for the input!
    Quote Quote