VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just built a pc for someone using a Intel Allendale 1.8ghz cpu. When I run the latest CPU-Z it gives me a core speed reading of 1200.6 mhz. Isn't it suppose to show 1800mhz? I already updated the bios of the motherboard which is a Biostar 945P-A7A. I have this same mobo in my Conroe E6400 computer which CPU-Z shows the core speed of 2.38ghz.

BIOSTAR MOBO:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138034

INTEL ALLENDALE DUAL CORE CPU 1.8GHZ:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116036

KINGSTON DDR2 PC25300, (2) 512MB MEMORY:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144199

Now the weird thing is when I tried to capture the CPU-Z screenshot to show the core speed is 1200.1mhz, it would change to 1800.1mhz. I'm puzzled as to why this is happening. I've never experienced this situation with my core2duo computer. Is this how it is with these newer Allendale core2duo cpus? I have 7 days to return the cpu if it's defective. I'd appreciate any comments/advice. Thanks in advance.

Here's the text of CPU-Z showing core speed of 1200mhz:
    CPU-Z version 1.40.5
    -------------------------

Processors Map
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1
    Number of threads 2

Processor 0
    -- Core 0
    -- Thread 0
    -- Core 1
    -- Thread 0

Processors Information
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
    Number of cores 2
    Number of threads 2 (max 2)
    Name Intel Pentium E2160
    Codename Conroe
    Specification Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz
    Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 0h)
    CPUID 6.F.2
    Extended CPUID 6.F
    Core Stepping L2
    Technology 65 nm
    Core Speed 1200.6 MHz (6.0 x 200.1 MHz)
    Rated Bus speed 800.4 MHz
    Stock frequency 1800 MHz
    Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, EM64T
    L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line size
    FID/VID Control yes
    FID range 6.0x - 9.0x
    max VID 1.213V
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: At redwudz suggestion I ran a cpu intensive program like DVDSHRINK to see if the core speed in CPU-Z would increase to 1800mhz. Low and behold it now showed 1800mhz in CPU-Z. As I mentioned before is this a new thing with the newer INTEL CORE2DUO ALLENDALE processors?

I'd appreciate any comments since this is the first time I've come across a situation like this. INTEL CORE2DUO fans please feel free to comment. Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it is to do with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep which you can toggle in your bios...
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem running an E4300 in a Gigabyte 965P-S3 motherboard. I went into the BIOS and found the clock multiplier was at x6. I reset it to x9 which it should be and that solved the problem for me.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think ChrissyBoy may have the correct answer. It sounds similar to 'Cool and Quiet' that AMD uses. With the AMD CPU it seems to change the CPU multiplier depending on load. The system works best with a four pin PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) CPU fan. There are some motherboards that also have a four pin PWM case fan output that the motherboard can control.

As long as the CPU fan cools properly under load the system should work fine. It does reduce CPU fan noise with a PWM fan. And the CPU will run cooler when idle. I just left it running as it doesn't seem to have any effect on encode times as the CPU speeds up for those type of tasks. But it should be easy enough to disable in BIOS if wanted.

My AMD AM2 Vista computer CPU runs at 1100Mhz when idle, then goes to 2700Mhz under load. This lets the CPU fan run at about 680RPM when the CPU is idle, then it can go up to about 2000RPM with a load. It shows a multiplier of 5 at idle and a 12.5 multiplier when encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't see any clock multiplier in the BIOS of that BIOSTAR mobo.
    I don't see anything in the BIOS that will allow me to change anything w/regard to the CPU. Perhaps this mobo is locked when it comes to changing the clock multiplier. Is there something that I'm missing?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by redwudz
    I think ChrissyBoy may have the correct answer. It sounds similar to 'Cool and Quiet' that AMD uses. With the AMD CPU it seems to change the CPU multiplier depending on load. The system works best with a four pin PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) CPU fan. There are some motherboards that also have a four pin PWM case fan output that the motherboard can control.

As long as the CPU fan cools properly under load the system should work fine. It does reduce CPU fan noise with a PWM fan. And the CPU will run cooler when idle. I just left it running as it doesn't seem to have any effect on encode times as the CPU speeds up for those type of tasks. But it should be easy enough to disable in BIOS if wanted.

My AMD AM2 Vista computer CPU runs at 1100Mhz when idle, then goes to 2700Mhz under load. This lets the CPU fan run at about 680RPM when the CPU is idle, then it can go up to about 2000RPM with a load. It shows a multiplier of 5 at idle and a 12.5 multiplier when encoding.

Other advantages of cool n quiet are less fan noise much of the time. Less energy use by the processor, and of course if the fan is running slower longer fan bearing life and less dust build up since lower speed has a lower air velocity the heatsink should stay clean longer.

There may be other advantages I didn't think of yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Found on the net the ALLENDALE processor has "Enhanced Speedstep". Thanks again for all the replies and enlightening me with the information. With every computer I build I always learn something new.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might also look in the BIOS for the following items and disable them if present. CPU Enhanced Halt State(C1E) - CPU thermal Monitor 2(TM2) - CPU EIST - CPU Throttling. Disable them if you find them. I go by what I read on Tom's Hardware Guide "if you don't know what it does,disable it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't see any settings in BIOS, perhaps the MB has a hidden BIOS page, similar to what Gigabyte does with 'CTRL/F1'. You could always try all the function keys, along with the control key when you are in BIOS to see if anything shows up. Usually the motherboard review sites will list such hidden pages, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109
    You might also look in the BIOS for the following items and disable them if present. CPU Enhanced Halt State(C1E) - CPU thermal Monitor 2(TM2) - CPU EIST - CPU Throttling. Disable them if you find them. I go by what I read on Tom's Hardware Guide "if you don't know what it does,disable it.
    Thanks wulf109 I found the C1E was set to "AUTO" so I disabled it. CPU-Z now shows the core speed of 2091mhz! I raised the CPU speed to 230mhz to overclock it just a tad bit. The mobo CPU speed can only go up to 300mhz.

With the SPEEDSTEP disabled is it at a disadvantage to the temperature of the cpu & the longevity? Especially if it's overclocked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Overclocking is always a risk. I've run overclocked CPU's for years without a problem. I ran a Celeron 366 at 500 for at least 5 years. I'm currently running 2 E4300's,both at 3.0Ghz,a 66% overclock. I'm not concerned. Personally I doubt that running the buss at a higher speed has much effect. Raising the core voltage is much riskier. I avoid overvolting the CPU or use very small boosts 5-10% at maximum. When Intel makes a batch of CPU's they select the output by retail price point. That's why a 2.13 Celeron will run at 3.2GHz on a 200Mhz bus. The slowest CPU in a "family" will usually run at speed of the fastest member.
    Quote Quote