VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Need an expert advise on converting AVI (or SWF) to MPG High quality video

Hi,

I downloaded the Super and it does look super. The only thing is I wanted to convert AVI to MPG file. File size in AVI was 1 Gb . When super converted it created a MPG file with a size 59KB !! whats going on here? There is no video can be seen in the 59KB file. I may be using it incorrectly. need some advise please.

Most importantly I need it to have mpg in very high quality since the file will be shown in a cinema. No sound files involved.

Can anyone answer to my problem please?

I want to convert Flash (swf) files that I have created originally from Flash to high quality MPG video.

OR

I want to convert AVI files that I have created originally from Flash to high quality MPG video.
    Downunder
    Gold Coast QLD
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For higher quality AVI>MPEG I would use a regular encoder. For freeware HCenc is popular. It takes a little setup, but does as well as most any payware encoder. For SWF, SUPER is one choice. The main adjustment for 'quality' is bitrate. Higher is better, but file size also increases.

Of course, your AVI or SWF will need to be high quality first if you want the same from the MPEG output.

There is a lot more to this, of course. You might look to our guides to the left under 'CONVERT'.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip.

When super converted it created a MPG file with a size 59KB !! whats going on here? There is no video can be seen in the 59KB file. I may be using it incorrectly. need some advise please.
    But as I said I need to also find out why this is happening. Secondly How do you convert SWF to MPG !! using Super. I am only interested in MPGII as MPG 1 I believe is not as good and for CD's.

I need to project this video on to a Cinema screen.

BTW the HC Encoder only accepting d2v and avs files. I need to either input AVI or SWF files. It does not accepts either of the two?...or does it?

I even created a ini file with

AVISource("F:\Downloads\Utilities\HC021\sweeny_7.A VI")
    and still not finding the avi file. Its in the same folder.
    Downunder
    Gold Coast QLD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to install avisynth in order to use that .

And besides , its not an ini you need to save , the file extension required is avs .

Open notepad , place you text in it , save as , change to all files , and name it ... example

Myclip.avs , and place it in the same location as the clip is better .

If avisynth is installed , you can then open it .

----

Not all socalled avi's will , some are protected , and must be playable on the system .

Use gspot or media info to check clip internals .

----

Super can bomb sometimes ... try changing the encoder used ... memcoder works better .

----

Hows the weather up your way ... lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do the SWFs contain Flash Video (such as in FLV files (you can find those in use on YouTube, for example)), with digitized video? Or are they just regular Shockwave Flash animations/games? If they're the latter, SUPER (and most of the other converters) won't be able to do anything with them.
    You'll either need to capture them with a video capture program like CamStudio or Fraps, then save to AVI, or one of the various SWF to AVI programs out there. (Most of those are shareware/commercial, so I can't comment on how well they work.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you both. Here is your answers.

AVI file I have is my own. I have generated from Flash. I wanted swf straight into AVI but there is no such animal will do it in high end quality.

I have also installed install avisynth

Can you please explain following?

And besides , its not an ini you need to save ,
    Which file do I need to save?

the file extension required is avs .
    I have changed own sweeny_7.avi file extension to sweeny_7.avs. Is this the correct way?

Open notepad , place you text in it , save as , change to all files , and name it ... example

Myclip.avs , and place it in the same location as the clip is better .
    I am confused here . Opening note pad then what?

If avisynth is installed , you can then open it .
    Open what? avisynth? I have been opening HCgui not avisynth. Can you please explain using my file name .

Thanks so much for your help much appreciated Bjs.

Weather here is crazy. Cold , windy but hey we have blue skys
    Downunder
    Gold Coast QLD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oavs
    I have changed own sweeny_7.avi file extension to sweeny_7.avs. Is this the correct way?
    No.

Code:
    AVISource("F:\Downloads\Utilities\HC021\sweeny_7.AVI")
    you write this in a plain text document (with notepad) and save the text file with an avs extension, like video.avs
    From then on treat the avs file as your video.

Open avs files in vdub to test them, vdub returns useful errors if things are wrong with the avisynth script.

gl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks again. I am getting closer I think.

I had to add to the script 'ConvertToYV12()'
    It has encoded with a file extension sweenyhc.m2v

In XP media player it shows and its beautiful. I have changed it manually and hey man this is awesome!!

Is there a way so that it automatically saves it as mpg file format extension? may be in the script perhaps ?

aha I think I can see whats happening here. I have changed it in the HC ini file output extesion. I think it will work.

And lastly where do you select memcoder ?

Ans where can I get some help files re what the rest of the settings for ?

If I wanted to have a highest quality output video, changing bit rate to higher it just does not get any better from its standard settings does it? It should be relative to the original file, therefore what is the optimum settings for the bit rate?

Super can bomb sometimes ... try changing the encoder used ... memcoder works better .
    Many thanks
    Downunder
    Gold Coast QLD
    Quote Quote  
  9. HC save it as a m2v file by default because it only does video, not audio. Changing the file extension in the ini file will work, but the file still won't contain the audio. The audio needs to be processed separately. I like to use QuEnc set for Audio only to encode to ac3.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

I do not use audio but if I did and I may in the future does QUenc produce same quality video?
    Downunder
    Gold Coast QLD
    Quote Quote  
  11. QuEnc produces good quality, but IMO HCEnc is slightly better because it does a better job of bitrate allocation. I suggest you try them both and decide for yourself if it's the same quality.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote