VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey, whats the best dvd player for divx/xvid playback?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They all have limitations. I'm very happy with my Oppo (971H). There are other cheaper models, including several Philips units. No matter which player you get, there will be files that it won't play.

The problem is necessarily the players, but infinite number of ways to encode a file and place it into an avi container.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by saxon
    hey, whats the best dvd player for divx/xvid playback?

thanks
    as in most compatible -- a PC

as for best picture quality -- the oppo mentioned above would be a good bet
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ahh but a Pc wont play back on its own, it needs software.. You should all really state what software you are using to play back with.
    (not Msoft media player I hope).
    I have heard great reports on the Philips 5980 and a Jvc Ht system.. also topfield or a panny ex77-s or a Pioneer 545hx or the denon £2000 device or maybe Onkyo should get going with something . Modified Xbox or xbox 360 even consider a netgear eva7000,8000 or Hacked Apple Tv, Linksys and Pinnacle showcentre.

There are loads I have left out for brevity's sake.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok, well lets say that if i had a divx dvd player that wouldnt play a certain divx file, is it easy enough to change the avi file to be able to be played on the player? (i have a hard time using virtualdub, it always gets me with the VBR audio, then when i rip the audio into a PCM wav. file, i try to load it onto the avi file throught virtual dub, but it just wont work (there is just no sound, even tho it doesnt give any indication that the wav. file failed to be imported.)

also does the Philips 5980 play xvid back also, and how do i find out the avi specifications that are needed to play back the files?
    and it says something about HD on there, do i need an HD tv to play this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what needs to be done to the video, to make it play on the player. VBR audio may or may not be a problem. For packed bitstream, which players may have a problem with, all you have to do is load the video in MPEG4Modifier, check the Unpack box, and save the video to a new filename.
    Other than that, though, you'll generally have to re-encode the video, which should take as much time as it normally does to encode a video on your system.

A DVD player capable of playing DivX shouldn't really have any problems playing Xvid; you just have to watch out for generally the same things that might prevent a DivX video from playing on that particular player, such as packed bitstream, GMC, QPEL, etc. (It all depends on the player.)

However, I should note that there are some older players that did look at the FourCC code of the AVIs and would only play AVIs if they had the DivX FourCCs (DIVX, DX50, etc., but not XVID). The newer players shouldn't have this problem.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LG LDA-53 is great also...
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. So, if a player says MPEG 4 and one says DivX which player should one choose?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DivX and Xvid are both MPEG4 codecs. I didn't know there were any players out now that are billing themselves as MPEG4 players, but I suppose they're probably doing it to avoid the confusion between DivX and Xvid.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do any of these display subtitles? I have a Toshiba SD-V394SU that pretty much plays any Divx/Xvid file I have tried, but it does not display subtitles (.rar and .idx subtitle files in the same directory).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .rar isn't a subtitle format, it's an archive format - like .zip. Yes, quite a few of the DivX/Xvid players do support subtitles, but how they do it is up to the player (some of them have direct support (especially the Ultra-certified players), and others require you to select them manually).

Also, they may only support text-format subtitle files (.idx/.sub pairs are usually bitmap subs). My Philips DVP-642 supports text-format .srt/.sub and one other text-only format, whose extension I've forgotten. It requires me to have the subtitle file with the same name as the video file:

movie.avi
    movie.srt

...I have to highlight movie.srt in the file selector and press the Subtitle button on the remote to select it, then load the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, there is no "best player". The bottom line, as with any other purchase, is to choose a player that has any options that you want/need and fits in your price range. For the most part, just worry about file compatibility later. As I stated before, there will always be some files that won't play.

For a quick reference, divx.com has a list of Divx certified players. Those units should give you the least issues.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  13. Good choices right now are the Philips DVP-5960 and DVP-5982 (newer). Both cost around US$70 and are Divx Ultra certified. In addition to playing Divx/Xvid from DVDs and CDs, both have USB ports so you can copy AVI files to a thumb drive (or hard drive), plug it into the DVD player, and play them. One drawback: they don't have s-video output.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for the MPEG4modifier suggestion, Ive been searching forever trying to find how to play a Xvid movie i recently grabbed w/out any luck. After I unpacked to a different location like you said it your post it played perfectly. THANK YOU
    Quote Quote  
  15. XBOX media cente, free on a modded Xbox, r is by far the best. Plays file formats like you wouldn't believe. Subs of all sorts too.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have just bought Phillips 9560 but it will not play HD Divx films are there any DVD players that do?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Yokel40
    Have just bought Phillips 9560 but it will not play HD Divx films are there any DVD players that do?
    A few that I know of: Zensonic Z500 series, LinkPlayer2.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by Yokel40
    A few that I know of: Zensonic Z500 series, LinkPlayer2.
    Thanks but have not heard of those in UK , are there any well known makes with this capability as many series available on line are in this format?
    Quote Quote  
  19. ".rar isn't a subtitle format, it's an archive format - like .zip"

XBMC can search for subs inside rar files.

I noticed OP asked which one is the best, not which one they should buy. shrug.

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Yokel40
    You should also be starting your own thread, not thread-jacking someone elses. It is in the rules of the forum.

Not too mention, that if you performed a search, you would see this has been asked before...many times.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote