VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I want to move some of my usb devices (printers, camera docking station etc.) to another room. Also located in this room is my internet router.
    I found this device by Belkin

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=J4G2Z2COBIKNXKC4D3KVAHA?skuId=83745...=1178925992366

Will this do what I want? I am pretty sure it is what I am looking for but I never hooked anything up like this....
    I believe I just hook this up to my router via RJ45 cable and plug my devices into it....right?

Was also wondering...not that it is needed though but I assume both pc's hooked up to the router will recognize all of the usb devices??

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes ... but what is you router ... a multi port unit or not ?

You will need to install the drivers for all devices on each pc included within the network in order for them to access .
    If it was a dummy pc just setup for sharing the devices , there would be no need otherwise .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here's one, almost half the price:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329545&Cat...70#detailspecs

Don't know if it would work with a scanner, but printer is OK. It just connects to your network, through a hub or router. It should work with cameras that appear as removable storage devices to Windows. Most cameras can be setup that way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bjs: I am using the Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router. I am not actually concerned about the 2nd pc being able to use these devices...I just don't want them in the area of the 1st pc.

nic2k4: The one at TigerDirect is definitely much cheaper but only has 2 ports...I will be using all 4 on the Belkin.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Then might as well get the best price and only $3.99 shipping:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=184576&WT.mc_n=66&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven...&cm_keycode=66

Even if you added a hub to the Synology device, the price would almost be the same, but you might have to contend with compatibility issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sweet...thanks for the info. I will probably go get one tonight and see how she works.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Picked it up today...Best Buy priced matched Circuit City.
    Just got done testing it out.
    Works great!!!
    Just did some printing with it....it worked just as fast as if it was hooked up direct.
    I hooked a flash drive up to it first just to see if it worked...It took a decent amount of time to transfer 80 meg (about 3 minutes) but since it will not be used for that it is not a concern.

Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote