VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using AutoGK to make an xvid AVI file.

I have no problems setting up AutoGK and creating the new AVI, however my new AVI - the audio and video are not in sync.

I have tried CBR Mp3 as well as VBR MP3 and either way it's happending.

I have verified that my original DV AVI file is in sync.

The original file is about 13 GB (1 hour running time)

I'm converting it to an xvid AVI - 350 MB is my target file size.

Can anyone give me any suggestions or let me know how I can fix the sync on my new file? (It's hard to tell if the sync is off at the same point throughout the video or if it continues to get worse, but the video definitly starts before the audio and the video is ahead of the audio the whole time!)

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How far off is it ? More than a second ?

Have you tried FAVC ? Pretty good too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It seems it's off by a second or so...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi-

Can anyone give me any suggestions or let me know how I can fix the sync on my new file?
    I'm going to assume it's off by the same amount all the way through. Unless the DV AVI has some sort of a screwy framerate (check in GSpot), there's no reason for it to get worse as the movie goes along. Here's how you diagnose and fix the asynch:

Open the finished AutoGK AVI in Media Player Classic. Right-click the screen and go Options->Filter->Audio Switcher->check the "audio time shift" box, and fill in an estimate of the amount of asynch. You said about a second=1000 ms. You said the video plays ahead of the audio, so you want to apply a negative delay. Hit "Apply" and test it out. Resume playback. Adjust until you get it right. At that point you'll know how much the audio is out of synch and how much to set the delay in VDubMod. Open the AVI in VDubMod, set the Video for Direct Stream Copy, go Streams->Stream List->Right-click the audio->Interleaving->Audio Skew Correction, and set the same delay as you found using MPC. OK your way out of there, go File->Save As, give it a new name, wait a minute or 2, and test it out.

When all done, either uncheck the box or set the audio time shift back to 0 in MPC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Instead of VDubMod, can I just use VirtualDub? If so, can you give me a quick run through with that program?
    Quote Quote  
  6. BTW thanks for the reply manono.

I just tried making the delay in audio about -1000 ms. It helps at the beginning, but the audio does gradually shift and go out of sync later in the playback.

I compared the frame rate in the original file (29.97) and the xvid avid which is the same (29.97).

Could it be since I'm using mp3 audio in the avi file that I'm getting the problem? I'm using CBR 128 Mbps mp3 format for the audio. Should I try something else in the AutoGK audio settings?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi-
    Instead of VDubMod, can I just use VirtualDub? If so, can you give me a quick run through with that program?
    I suggested VDubMod because AutoGK, by default, creates ABR MP3, a kind of VBR audio, something VDub doesn't support. Since, as you say, the audio is CBR, then you can use VDub, but since I don't use it or even have it installed, you'll have to track down a guide for its use, or get someone else to help if you can't figure it out yourself.

So, you have a progressive asynch (gets worse as the video goes along)? My guess is that something is going wrong with the audio reencoding. Let's find out. Open the source DV AVI in VDub(Mod) and go File->File Information and note the exact length (or use GSpot). Now open the AutoGK produced AVI and go File->File Information and note the exact length. They're the same, right? If so, that would confirm that it's the audio that is changing from source to output. But if the video lengths aren't the same from source to final AVI, then it's the video that's screwing up. Now I've never messed with DV AVI in my life, but AutoGK is particular about the kind it supports:
    5.12 What are limitations/features of AVI input mode?
    - your OS has to be able to decode input AVI via Dshow (note sometimes decoder, for instance ffdshow, has problems with certain type of video, so you have to change it. See here for example problem: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=92047)
    - no denoising is done for AVI mode except for DV sources
    - no cropping is done for AVI mode apart from the one needed to keep AR (if you need it then enable it via hidden options)
    - DV sources are detected via "dv" string in 4cc and appropriate AR resizing is performed (AR is 1.095 or 0.909). Original AR option won't work for such sources.
    - only DV type 2 files are supported
    - Analysis step is only performed for DV source (for deinterlacing)
    - BFF is assumed for DV sources
    - input audio can be PCM(always encoded)/MPA(kept/encoded)/MP3(always kept)/AC3(encoded/kept)/DTS(encoded/kept)
    - if your DV source is 16:9 then you need to enable this AR in hidden options as AutoGK can't detect that.
    - mp3 re-encoding is not possible due to LAME crashing on most mp3 sources
    - sometimes LAME has issues with 11KHz PCM input audio, so it might need to be processed manually.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=72679

So, if you have Type 1 DV AVI, that could account for it. I understand you can convert without reencoding. Don't ask me how. And GSpot can tell you if the audio is 11KHz PCM. If so, convert it manually and remux to solve the problem. I think/hope.
    Quote Quote