VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

Is there any other Transcoder out there besides the following two ... that is "Fast" and "Good" ... and preferrably "Free".

1) DVDShrink.
    2) DVD2One.

I persoanlly LOVE DVDShrink .. Fast, easy and has many Controls. And above all is "FREE".
    I have mixed feelings about DVD2One ... does not have as many controls as DVDShrink ... and result varies depending on your Material. And of course is NOT FREE.

Thanks,
    G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dvdrebuilder is free but is not a transcoder. It uses an encoder to re-encode the files to fit dvd5.

It comes packaged with freeware encoders(hcenc and quenc) and will offer better results than a transcoder. Will take longer though.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Dvdrebuilder is free but is not a transcoder. It uses an encoder to re-encode the files to fit dvd5.

It comes packaged with freeware encoders(hcenc and quenc) and will offer better results than a transcoder. Will take longer though.
    I love DVDRB but you can't describe it as fast. It takes hours. I suggest trying the free trial of AnyDVD with CloneDVD2. It is pay but is worth it and the fastest and easiest around. DVDFabDecrypter is free and pretty good.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman
    I love DVDRB but you can't describe it as fast. It takes hours.
    Never said it was fast.
    ... will offer better results than a transcoder. Will take longer though.
    I use dvdshrink all the time for small movies that require little transcoding. For bigger movies or high action movies I MUCH prefer dvdrb.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never said it was fast.
    No, but the OP specified "Fast". No doubt RB is the best out there, but I didn't want the OP to think it was fast.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman
    No, but the OP specified "Fast". No doubt RB is the best out there, but I didn't want the OP to think it was fast.
    Agreed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder ships with Rejig, which is a transcoder. The problem with all transcoders is that their efficiency and quality are very much dependent on the source encoding. If I have to reduce by more than 5% or so, then I would rather re-encode in most cases.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Freebird, Ricoman & Guns1inger,

Really appreciate taking the time and responding ...

So, I guess as far as Pure Transcoder goes ... only thing available out there are DVDS, D2O and Rejig.

I tried ReJig ... but it is not fast and it actually goes thru the process of Demuxing and Remuxing.

@ Ricoman ... I have AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 ... but I hardlu use them ... I prefer the "Freeware" ... but I'll play around with them just to see how fast they are.

@ Guns1linger ... Wow ... only 5% and you will go for Re-Encode ... I usually go as far as 30% if I have to.

THANKS Again guys,
    G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am also looking forward somewhat. While you may not see the difference between 5% and 25% on a standard CRT, put it in an upscaling DVD player and watch it on a big plasma and the difference becomes more noticeable (and one day I will have that plasma)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 50" Sony HDTV and 2 upconverting DVD players OPPO & LG. I regularly burn at up to 70% with CloneDVD2 or Shrink w/ImgBurn and really can't see much of a difference from the original. Maybe a little on fast action scenes, but not much. 80% or better, I can't tell a thing and I am pretty discerning. Sure if you read some forums and see some fanatics blow-up a small portion of a picture, if you look hard you might see something. But in real life who the hell does that? From my view, 70% or better - CloneDVD2, Shrink or DVDFabdecrypter. Below 70% DVDRB with HCenc. I lend out my DVDs and everyone tells me how great they are.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no one has mention nero recode2, it is faster than shrink and its picture quality is better than all of the transcoders and closed to that of rebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi Babeflover,

Thanks for suggeting NERO Recode2 ... and you are telling me that is Faster than Shrink ... hmmmm ...

I'll check it out. Thanks again,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babeflover
    no one has mention nero recode2, it is faster than shrink and its picture quality is better than all of the transcoders and closed to that of rebuilder.
    But it's not free & never does it better job than DVDSrink.

I'm always using DVDShrink with 2 Quality Options enabled & I don't judge by % of reduction.
    My formula is - if the length of video I'm going to transcode is 2h30min (Main Movie + Extras) or less than the result will be fine (at least on my 32" SONY CRT TV. Didn't try it on anything bigger ). Although I've transcoded 'Braveheart' with Shrink & it's still fine.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!