VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to use a PC or a hacked slingbox to record tv. It seems very simple that someone would sell an HDD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't need one that records to DVD either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can, any of the many models, such as this one http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=rd-xs35 with a built in tuner, do exactly what you want. Maybe you are confused or I don't understand what you want.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why not get a Panasonic dvd recorder? I have those, they come with a tvguide thing you can program.
    Quote Quote  
  5. sony svr xxxx (in your country)
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think that Kinddomaker wants exacly what I want.
    Kind of a TIVO without any subcription fees, just a box with a tuner and a HDD ...No disc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have talked to people who own Tivos and they tell me that you do NOT have to buy the service. If you just want to manually program to record a show, say, Tuesday from 8:00 to 8:30, that you certainly can do so. Tivo can find the same show at different times and on different channels or it can find related things (ie. find me all the movies that have Robin Williams in them for the next week), which is why the subscription service sells. I don't own a Tivo myself, but the people who told me this are people who do understand technology and they've all told me that this is possible. Tivo and makers of similar devices don't like to admit this, but I think you can use all of them as VCR like devices without subscriptions.

Another option is to just build your own and use something like MythTV. Or if you want to run it under Windows, I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 card and you can set it up like a VCR to record shows to your hard drive and then play them later. PC prices have dropped to the point now that this is actually a realistic option.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I have talked to people who own Tivos and they tell me that you do NOT have to buy the service. If you just want to manually program to record a show, say, Tuesday from 8:00 to 8:30, that you certainly can do so. Tivo can find the same show at different times and on different channels or it can find related things (ie. find me all the movies that have Robin Williams in them for the next week), which is why the subscription service sells. I don't own a Tivo myself, but the people who told me this are people who do understand technology and they've all told me that this is possible. Tivo and makers of similar devices don't like to admit this, but I think you can use all of them as VCR like devices without subscriptions.

Another option is to just build your own and use something like MythTV. Or if you want to run it under Windows, I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 card and you can set it up like a VCR to record shows to your hard drive and then play them later. PC prices have dropped to the point now that this is actually a realistic option.
    But then why overpay for TiVo and use it as DVR, if you can buy a DVR itself - and cheaper?
    TiVo without their service makes no sense.

$100 will buy you ie RJ-2200DVRX (well, actually its a dvd-recorder + HDD, not a DVR/PVR, but you dont have to use dvd recording and use only its HDD storage for your "recordings" as you would with any DVR) /edit: price is without HDD, you have to add HDD of your choice (but 500GB are quite cheap nowadays)/
    And it plays all DVDs (any region / any stnadrd - PAL & NTSC) *and* it plays divx/xvid/mp4/svcd/cvd/vcd/...basically anything but Real/QT (so its a nice 'bonus').
    If that device is not enough for OP (or is too expensive) then I really have no idea what else he expects because to build your own computer-based DVR/PVR is not going to be cheaper than that, thats for sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am interested in this thread. I have a tivo and love it but I only singed up for a year subscription. So in essence I'll have a nice heavy paperweight if I decide I don't want to renew it.

I have read on the tivo's website that manual recording (ie vcr like dummy mode) will not be operable without subscription services. I believe it said only live tv viewing is available without subscription. No recording, manual or program based, is available without paying.

I think a year subscription is 200.00 (can't remember exactly what I paid) and i think two or three years is like 300.00. They don't offer lifetime subscriptions any more.

If I could get a harddrive recording unit for under two hundred with similar features as the tivo I would be interested - as long as they had the program guides.

Are there any dvd recorders with harddrives and free program guides for under 200.00?? That's probably a long shot.

But what about those rjtech harddrive devices?? Do places like Bestbuy sell them??

EDIT - I remembered reading about devices like the tvix. They do make ones with tuners that can use harddrives. I did not see a mention about program guides but to they make standard defintion models? The two they were boasting were the high def models and I would only need low def.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening everyone.

I think that the real question or issue (in setting up a TIVO like system) is finding weather
    or not there is a TVGUIDE available for easy (daily/weekly) download. This is what I have
    been after, but not smart enough in my search queries to find the answer. Maybe the
    answer lies in the question..

Q: Is there a website where you can download a tv guide and utilize it in your own
    personal course ??

Now I've been interested in this area too, because I don't want to have to always go to
    a tv guide website, wait for it to download all the pics/gifs/javas/ads/flash, etc. and then
    finlly have a partial (2-3 hrs worth) of tv listings. Then, if you need to got further, you
    have to wait again for all the pics/gifs/javas/ads/flash, etc. to download. This becomes
    a time-consumer ordeal. It would be better to just download a .zip of the days or weeks
    tv listing. This is what I'm looking for, now.. but am making no progress of.

If such a tvguide (or listing) would be available for easy download, one could build a
    offline/external database -- weather in ms access or programming langues -- and make
    it an easy GUI like tool, to working closely with ones pc capture card. I would assume
    that one's card would be one of the hardware MPEG, based. Lots of cheap ones' of those
    anybody can get. So if there is a website that houses such a needed item, that would
    be a great start in this endeavor, for everyone!

Show me the GUIDE

-vhelp 4330
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-9332_7-6381535-1.html

This is the solution I do not want. And the TV wonder Elite cannot be found to buy, just lilke the Toshiba RD-KX50 less you want a used one. I can get a VCR for 20 bucks for crying out loud. Yet I cannot even find a simple good DVR for 200 bucks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also I want nothing to do withTV guide or VCR+.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RJ-2200DVRX does it include intructions on how to install an HDD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kinddomaker
    RJ-2200DVRX does it include intructions on how to install an HDD?
    most harddrive installations are simple plug and play jobs. Though some manufacturers might make you go through more hoops than should be needed.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp

If such a tvguide (or listing) would be available for easy download, one could build a
    offline/external database -- weather in ms access or programming langues -- and make
    it an easy GUI like tool, to working closely with ones pc capture card. I would assume
    that one's card would be one of the hardware MPEG, based. Lots of cheap ones' of those
    anybody can get. So if there is a website that houses such a needed item, that would
    be a great start in this endeavor, for everyone!

Show me the GUIDE

-vhelp 4330

it exists for long time

http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/

And yes, it creates xml from available info downloaded daily from Zap2it.
    You can export them or use in other ways probably.

I use it on my PocketPCs for long time.
    It is greatly searchable (up to 3 weeks in advance), updates daily, works perfect with my PPC.
    Even creates nice entries in Outlook Calendar (both on PPC and PC) for each show you want to be reminded of.
    I can't praise it enough... and did I mention its absolutely free and NOT bogged down by any ads etc crap?
    It also include 'regular computer' viewer, but its main purpose is to be used on PPC, thus its PC 'viewer' is kinda small and not as handy as ie TVGuide+ from ATI (that used to come with older A-I-W Radeons), but once you get used to it it is really great.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hard to believe it is free after seeing the tvguide channel for many years shrink the viewable listing screen down and down while the ads get bigger. But so it is true. Still Channel, date and time is the best way to program, especially with Toshibas so I hear.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess this is what I should buy.

http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-rd-xs35-multi-drive-dvd-recorder-with-160gb-hard-drive...202506530.html

I even have a 7% off coupon, it won't cover the sales tax...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That thing does not review at worth 323 bucks. Also I want one that can handle HD as I am about to pay the 96 bucks a year for it to my cable company. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jman98
    I have talked to people who own Tivos and they tell me that you do NOT have to buy the service.
    You can only do this with Series 1 Tivos (hard to find, no longer made).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kinddomaker
    I guess this is what I should buy.

http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-rd-xs35-multi-drive-dvd-recorder-with-160gb-hard-drive...202506530.html

I even have a 7% off coupon, it won't cover the sales tax...
    That's exactly what I have. Love it. Very reliable TV Guide On Screen, unlike the Pioneer 633 I had previously.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It must be nice to live in a country where the TV guide actually means something. Over here you are lucky if a show starts within 10 minutes of the guide time, even on Digital where there is an EPG broadcast with the signal. If you use a guide (or G-code or similar) to record anything over here you will definitely miss at least the last 5 minutes of the show, if not more. For my money, program guides are a complete waste of time for programming recorders.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    For my money, program guides are a complete waste of time for programming recorders.
    Doesn't your guide scheduling software allow "start early" and "end late" options? They would probably solve most of your problem, except in cases where you want to record back-to-back shows on different channels.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Get a dvd recorder with a HD. They have a TVGUIDE you can program it just like tivo. It costs nothing at all. You can search for programs alphabetically or by category. Select to record daily, weekly, Etc. It's called GUIDE Plus & it's free. I have been using it for about 8 years. Even some tvs come with it.

Or this:

Model : LRM-519
    Digital Media Recorder with Microsoft® Program Guide
    Digital Video Recorder: Pause live TV and rewind up to 90 minutes. Record up to 160 hours of your favorite shows.

Versatile, High Quality DVD Recording: High Quality DVD Recording High quality DVD recording onto DVD±R, DVD±RW, and DVD+R Double Layer

Connect to Home Network: Share TV shows,photos and music with your Windows XP® photos and music with your Windows XP® or Windows XP Media Center Edition® - based PCs. Move content via Ethernet and USB ports

Access to Microsoft® Program Guide: Up to 14 days of satellite, cable and terrestrial guide listings

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video_digital%20video__LRM-519.jhtml
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by apocalypse
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I have talked to people who own Tivos and they tell me that you do NOT have to buy the service.
    You can only do this with Series 1 Tivos (hard to find, no longer made).
    Pretty much what I rmembered.

I have a Series one Tivo, Lifetime sub. When I bought it and subbed it who knew Digital was coming and analog was on the way out. So much for lifetime sub.

For the next two years a option would be find a Tivo with a lifetime sub. The Sub is for the unit, not the owner as I understand it. Thus You buy it and the sub keeps working.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Tivo is now offering a sub transfer from a series 1 to a series 2:

http://www.tivo.com/promo/series2plt.html

It will cost $299 but does include a new series 2.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    Tivo is now offering a sub transfer from a series 1 to a series 2:

That is not a "transfer", but more like they try to sell you new Tivo, thats all I see in this promo
    Quote Quote  
  27. Well they are trying to sell a new Tivo, OTOH You are replacing an old series one that is at least 4 years old with a new SD Tivo and transferring your lifetime sub.

OK lets see. You can buy the box for $99 currently and pay $179 for a years service so after approx 14 month you are ahead.

"Record from two basic cable channels, or one basic cable and one digital cable channel, at once. Does not support recording from two digital cable or satellite channels at once. Supports recording from cable and satellite sources only; does not support recording from over-the-air antenna."

So a better box than my old series 1 just a bit pricey. If I were thinking of dumping Satellite TV and going cable I'd jump on it .
    Despite paying $200 for a transfer fee.
    Quote Quote  
  28. "transferring your lifetime sub. "

Lifetime is for that specific box only too.....
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by TBoneit
    OK lets see. You can buy the box for $99 currently and pay $179 for a years service so after approx 14 month you are ahead.
    If they're charging you $299 for the transfer package, doesn't this mean they're charging you $200 for the lifetime sub you've already paid for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by next
    Tivo is now offering a sub transfer from a series 1 to a series 2:

They also have/had a similar promotion for the new series 3 box.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote