VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I had some video I had shot and converted to digital AVI. I wanted to send the entire thing to someone, in AVI format, so he could edit it and use it as he desired.

Every time I tried to burn an 8 gigabyte chunk of the video (the whole thing ran 13-14 gigs) the disk failed.

Can you only burn a file as large as one layer - say, 4 point something gig - onto a single layer? So a DVD-DL disk can only take that large a file, burned to a single layer? Yes, you might add a bunch of files that are smaller on the other layer, but you must fit your largest file on a single layer because they don't overlap when reading or writing?
    Animation and geeky reviews and podcasts at
    Cartoon Geeks (http://www.cartoongeeks.com)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you could try burning it as a data disc vs video disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not 100% sure but I think you may have to burn as data in UDF mode. The other choice is to break the original down into smaller chunks using Winrar.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. File size limit:

ISO format: 2 GB
    UDF format: 4 GB
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Take a look at max file size support under fat32 for win98 ... if your pc specs are acurate .

You might beable to use vdub to split it in direct stream copy mode for both video and audio , provided it was compressed using a suitable codec , then burn them as data ... provided the fat32 max file size limit dosent get in the way
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    His pc specs must be wrong because the FAT32 file size limit wouldn't let him have an 8GB file in the first place.

I think the question is, and I must admit I would also like to know the answer to this, can a file larger than a single layer capacity be burned onto a DL disc? If it is a DVD, it will have a layer break at a specific point, but if it is simply a data disc containing one very large file, does it still need a layer break point defining?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Richard_G
    the question is, and I must admit I would also like to know the answer to this, can a file larger than a single layer capacity be burned onto a DL disc?
    Not unless you come up with your own file system. I gave the limits for the two most common DVD file systems above.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    If it is a DVD, it will have a layer break at a specific point, but if it is simply a data disc containing one very large file, does it still need a layer break point defining?
    To add:
    A DL dvd video disc, even with a layer break, does not have files larger than what ? 1gb ? it is all split up into several VOB files, not one large 6-8gb file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I agree with that, but we aren't talking about a DVD video disc, we are talking about a data file. On a hard drive formatted to NTFS, I can store files of virtually any size. Is there any way that I can burn a file of, say 8GB, onto a DL disc?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe no help, but if you have access to a miniDV camcorder, why not "print to tape"? Sure, other questions exist, but it is an option. Sounds like you have about 1 hour of DV there.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tomreedtoon,

You can burn a single file sized up to the capacity of a dvdr dl if you use the UDF file system only and use +RDL media. To minimize the headaches, I would recommend you only use Verbatim +RDL, and ImgBurn. In ImgBurn, using "Build Mode", select the Options tab, and in the combo box at the top (labeled "File System"), select UDF (last entry on the drop down list). Then select the file you want to burn. That sequence of steps will keep ImgBurn from giving you an error message concerning the 4 GB limit of ISO9660.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wikipedia says:

What is the maximum size for a file under UDF file system?--Ctac 07:52, 12 July 2005 (UTC)

* I think it's 1 GiB - and I base that solely on how DVD video files are segmented. Don't trust me. Tokachu 00:09, 25 July 2005 (UTC)
    o Actually, it's 16 EiB. VOB files on DVD Video discs are broken up into 1 GiB chunks for backward compatibility with ISO 9660 and legacy operating systems. —Ghakko 15:30, 25 July 2005 (UTC)
    + The reason for 1 GiB chunks has nothing to do with backwards compatibility. In a file's allocation descriptors that describe the chunks a file is composed from, the length of a piece is 30 bits wide i.e. 1 GiB since the top two bits are used to hold flags telling its allocated, freed, free or if its specifying a continuation descriptor. Reinoud 22:11, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
    * To answer the question, the maximum size of a file is indeed 64 bits i.e. 16 EiB though only when sparse. Current UDF versions upto 2.60 allow only one writable physical partition descriptor thus limiting the size to 32 bit sector numbers i.e. with 2 KiB sectors this makes 32+11=43 bits giving 8 Tib. When multiple physical partiton descriptors are allowed an additional 16 bits are available giving 59 bits i.e. a half EiB spanning the whole disc. Reinoud 22:11, 4 January 2007 (UTC)
    ============================
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a nice, not-too-technical document named "UDF_Whitepaper.pdf" by Software Associates (one of the key members of OSTA that helped develop the UDF specification) that gives the maximum filesize restriction as 128 terabytes. Google should be able to locate the document for anyone who's interested.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Use HJSplit to split and rejoin later. http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

HJSplit 2.3
    Freeware file-splitter and joiner for Windows XP, Vista, 2000, NT, 95, 98, ME New release!

HJSplit for Linux
    Freeware file splitters for Linux.

HJSplit Classic 16-bit
    The original version for Windows 3, which also runs on OS/2. Splits and Joins.

MS DOS
    Splits and joins files on MS DOS.

HJSplit 1.4 Classic 32-bit
    The original version for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP. Splits and Joins.

HJSplit for Java
    Freeware file-splitters and joiners for any computer which has Java installed.

HJSplit for PHP
    Freeware PHP script for splitting files online (on your Web site). New program!

HJSplit for Amiga
    Split and join files on Amiga.

MAC joiner
    Chunk-joiner for the MAC platform.

Pretty much covers every need as I see it.

I'd just whack the file into 2 Gig bits and put four to a disk.
    Good Luck
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Richard_G,

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question:
    ...if it is simply a data disc containing one very large file, does it still need a layer break point defining?
    That's correct. There's still a layer break, but since it's a data file, ImgBurn just divides the total file size by 2, and adjusts the layer break (if necessary) so it falls on a ECC block boundary. As a result, user input isn't required, and you won't even see the layer break selection window in ImgBurn.

jagabo,

Thank you for providing a link to that paper. I swear I'm not lazy...just kind of busy right now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. VegasBud -- you provided the exact name so the file was easy to find.

I was able to burn a 4,491,771,904 byte (a little over 4 GB) file to a single layer UDF format DVD+RW.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UDF allows files at least as large as the disc itself. I've burned quite a few large files to SL and DL media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yeah I'm not sure why everyone is having problems burning large files. I've burned 8GB DV-AVI files too, to dual-layer. I've never had problems and use Nero or ImgBurn to burn. Tom needs to provide us with more info on his steps to burn the disc. Was he even using data mode?

To split files, you can also use WinRAR and split them into a size you prefer and burn these to discs. I sometimes do this and add recovery volumes to it on separate discs. So if one disc fails, I can still recover with the others.
    Quote Quote  
  19. UDF format allows you to fill the entire disc with one large file (8.5GB on DVD+R DL discs).

ISO only supports up to 2GB files.

I use Nero 7.5 and have burnt dozens of 8GB WMV files on Verbatim DVD+R DL discs in UDF format with no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomreedtoon View Post
    ...digital AVI...
    Huh? "Digital AVI"? What's that? Is that like... there's such a thing as an "analog AVI"?
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you thought about digital avi for 6 years?

Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Uhh, NOPE!

But have YOU?!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think he was referring to the numbskull who dug up a thread from 2007 to add that bit of wisdom....

Oh wait!!

That was you!!!

Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Subject:
    Numbskull = YOU!

Oh, really, huh? I didn't "dig" anything up. It just came up when I was looking for some help on something. Who the hell CARES how old the previous response is? I couldn't care LESS about that! Why should you?

Why don't you go beg for money under the freeway somewhere?

(Despite your dumb, rude response, I'm glad I'm having a nice Memorial Day.)
    Last edited by MaxxFordham; 27th May 2013 at 14:44.
    Quote Quote