VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have audio problem with my WinDV. While capturing a material everything goes smooothly, but there is no sound in created avi file. I've checked with type-2

(prefered for further compression to DivX or Xvid) and type-1. The result is the same = no sound. I've tried Windows Movie Maker, ScenalyzerLive and Ulead Video Studio 7 and all gave video and audio. However WMM produce type-1 and ScenalyzerLive is paid (if anyone have suggestions regarding this matter feel free to send me a PM. Thanks). I've checked in two codecs situation. First I've installed a seperate codecs:
    DivX 5.2.1
    DivX 3.11 alpha
    DivX 412
    XviD-1.1.2-01112006
    x264VFW r108
    AC3 audio filter 0.70b
    MPEG2 codec installer
    Morgan Stream Switcher v0.99 (wma)
    WMV1 codec
    Lame v3.94 (win32 installer)
    Panasonic DV codec

Than customized K-Lite Mega Pack.
    Both with the same results. No audio after capturing iwith WinDV

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 1GB RAM.

Must to mention, that WinDV has never made any problem for me before. Tried it on different computers and always was given perfect results. Above is my newest

computer and I am starting to make divx/xvid movies from my minidv collection. A couple of days ago I had to give my camcorder for repair and after receiving it back,

problem with audio occured. I am wrting it, because I've read different forums some pointed, that it may be a camcorder problem. But while WMM, Scenalyzer and

Ulead Video Studio 7 works, so it seems to me, that there is nothing wrong with the camcorder.

Is there any solution for such situation? Could it be a problem of whole pc configuration? Any clue?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    J.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use our Enosoft DV Processor - captures to Type-1 and Type-2. For personal use, it is free.

Re WinDV specifically, I recall reading that disabling device control can help.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    (...)disabling device control can help.(...)
    Thanks Johnny for quick answer. Will try your tool !
    But what you mean about disablin device control. Where and what I should disable?
    J.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Make sure the checkbox between Config and Capture is not checked. Then click capture and manually start playing the tape.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks gadgetguy,
    I hope this can solve the problem.

BTW, I found (with your help too) other capturing programs than WinDV. Do you have any other (not big ones) to add?
    DVIO (free)
    AVI_IO (one month trial)
    DV Processor (free for personal usage)
    Scenalyzer (paid)
    STOIK Video Capturer (free - doesn't work for me either)
    Exsate VideoExpress (paid)
    CaptureFlux (free)

tried also WMM and UVS

Are there any more - free and small capturers/copiers?

thanks
    J.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    Then click capture and manually start playing the tape.
    This should fix the problem, there's a bug in WinDV and it's camera controls:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic208025.html#842293

I've found I get the best results by starting the tape, waiting for the WinDV "preview" window to start displaying the video, then press capture.

Hope that helps,
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Jim44

I've found I get the best results by starting the tape, waiting for the WinDV "preview" window to start displaying the video, then press capture.

Hope that helps,
    Jim
    I generally have my VCR connected for pass-through so I always have a valid signal even when the tape's not playing, so I never have a problem and I don't miss any of the video on the tape. (Although I usually have to edit out a few seconds of "TV".)
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jim44

Hope that helps,
    Jim
    Wow! Jim44,
    What a topic! What a source of information! I will defenately try your method : "What I did this time was start playing the video with the camera's controls THEN select "Capture" in WinDV. " Acctually I tried eysterday to switch of the device control and start capturing manualy, but with oposite sequence: first start to capture then start the camera. Result = no sound (AVI type -2).
    I've checked other programs yesterday:
    DVIO - same results (start to capture then start the camera)
    EnoDV Processor - no sound
    Virtual Dub Mod - no sound
    CaptureFlux - video + sound (yuppie!!!) - BTW, it's a nice program and it's free.
    STOIK Capturer - no sound
    Scenalyzer - video + sound
    and as mentioned in previous post Ulead Videro Studio 7 - movie + sound
    I am desperate to use WinDV, because I do like this prog and it worked for me just about a month ago. I wonder if it could be a camera thing (I had to repair it lately).
    Jim44,
    may I ask what codecs do you have installed on you pc? I went back to limited and installed seperately codecs I mentioned in my first post. What do you think about that?

Take care and many thanks for help!
    J.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Somej
    We haven't received any reports of this, so it does seem odd (especially since the other apps also yield no sound).

In our program, there are audio indicators below the video windows. If you just start your tape playing (no need to capture), you will see the video in the left-hand window. Do the audio indicators show anything? If they don't, it means that no audio data are within the live DV stream. If the audio indicators are showing the presence of audio, what happens when you capture it? The right-hand set of indicators will show the audio present in the DV stream being written to disk. What happens if you capture to Type-1 instead of Type-2?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Somej
    What a topic! What a source of information! I will defenately try your method : "What I did this time was start playing the video with the camera's controls THEN select "Capture" in WinDV. " Acctually I tried eysterday to switch of the device control and start capturing manualy, but with oposite sequence: first start to capture then start the camera. Result = no sound (AVI type -2).
    Please try it in the order I wrote it. I recently transferred Type-2 vid from my camera using this exact method (and I actually was too quick to press "Capture" in WinDV and ended up with no audio as well, so I had to re-transfer. Make sure the video starts playing in WinDV, than press "Capture").

If that fails, follow JohnnyMalaria's advice, you may have other issues than WinDV.
    Jim44,
    may I ask what codecs do you have installed on you pc? I went back to limited and installed seperately codecs I mentioned in my first post. What do you think about that?
    I think loading only the codec you need, rather than a codec pack, is a VERY good idea. I happen to use an old version of the Mainconcept codec for my DV work, so that's only difference I see that might be relevant to this issue.

Jim
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by Somej
    We haven't received any reports of this, so it does seem odd (especially since the other apps also yield no sound).

In our program, there are audio indicators below the video windows. If you just start your tape playing (no need to capture), you will see the video in the left-hand window. Do the audio indicators show anything? If they don't, it means that no audio data are within the live DV stream. If the audio indicators are showing the presence of audio, what happens when you capture it? The right-hand set of indicators will show the audio present in the DV stream being written to disk. What happens if you capture to Type-1 instead of Type-2?
    Hello Johnny,
    sorry for the huge delay. yesterday I did what you asked for and ... . Below preview window (window on the left) there are four indicators named with letters a, b and c,d. I assume that a,b are for video stream and c,d are for audio. Am I right? So, a,b shows coloured bars, but c,d not.
    Of course no sound was heard throu the speakers. Tried also capturing, but nothing changed. No sound at all. (tried type-2 only, but I think it doesn't matter in that case = propable no input sound). I spoted also one more think. A little bit darker video (preview of captured video) than the original. Have no feature ticked from those which are in the middle of the proggie window.
    I don't understand anything, because CaptureFlux read audio and video, and makes proper AVI, after capturing. It makes me to think that input audio is readable. So why Enosoft and others doesnt recognize it???

One more thing came to my mind. Could it be the wire which I connect my camera with the computer? I bought it for the FW card dedicated to laptop (it wasn't included to the FW card, but bought seperately. Now I have a "normal" pc with the card included but the same wire, as before. Could it be a problem. How to check it. Could it be a FW card? I don';t think so, because wire is connected to the same slot everytime and some of the capturing proggies works , but the other not.
    the only think I could blame on, are codecs.
    I am messed up.
    Do you have any idea, where I can look for an any errors?

@Jim44
    "Your" method for WinDV doesn't work also
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Somej
    sorry for the huge delay. yesterday I did what you asked for and ... . Below preview window (window on the left) there are four indicators named with letters a, b and c,d. I assume that a,b are for video stream and c,d are for audio. Am I right? So, a,b shows coloured bars, but c,d not.
    Hi Somej,

The four indicators are all audio. DV supports one stereo pair at 16-bit resolution or two stereo pairs at 12-bit resolution (and 32kHz). So, it is normal to see the upper two indicators active and the lower two inactive when capturing 16-bit audio (at 32kHz, 44.1kHz or 48kHz). The fact that the upper (a, b) bars are active means that there is a valid audio signal in the DV stream and that our software can recognize it.

Unfortunately, not all valid DV audio formats are supported by all DV software. Support for 44.1kHz is sometimes missing.

For some reason, your screenshots aren't in your post. You may email them to supportATenosoft.net if you wish. It would also be helpful if you can post a very short clip somewhere - no longer than one second to keep the size down. I can then look at the DV information inside each frame to see if something is wrong.

A little bit darker video (preview of captured video) than the original. Have no feature ticked from those which are in the middle of the proggie window.
    This might have to do with the hardware video overlay of your computer. Only one window can use the hardware overlay, any others have to use the traditional Windows way. It is common for the hardware overlay to show video differently. There should be some settings to adjust it (somewhere under Display Properties or a specific icon in Control Panel).

Could it be a FW card? I don';t think so, because wire is connected to the same slot everytime and some of the capturing proggies works , but the other not.
    Very unlikely, if not impossible. It would require that the FW card selectively remove/mess up only the audio data in the DV data stream.

The fact that you see the audio bars responding in our software and that some other apps seem to render the audio correctly implies that the audio is there and is getting into the computer.

Of the list of apps you posted earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if all the ones that don't play the audio use DirectShow and those that do work use either proprietary decoders etc or use Video For Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks JohnnyMalaria,
    so there is a hope! ) Excellent!!!
    Actually I'haven't posted any samples and I will not able to send one for you. I just borrowed my camcorder and will have it back in the second half of September. However I mentioned "preview" to decribe the left screen in the main window of DV Processor. This where I can look at playback of the movie recorded on the dv tape. And yes I saw the movie and a,b indicators showed aomething (moving colour bars).
    Regarding the movie sample, I can send you a small clip, but it will be a 1 or 2 second of the non compressed avi, taken directly from the camcorder via CaptureFlux. is that ok for you?

regarding the list of apps provided and DirectShow - how to check if proggies from the list use Direct Show or other decoders. maybe I have to instal some DirectShow codecs? What is the solution for that?

Thanks for helping me,
    J.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am bringing this back cause I too was having this problem with
    no sound sound on avi clips when download from canon elura dv camera.
    About 1 out of 10 clips would not have sound. If I used another capture
    method the sound was fine. I used the advice in this thread as a work around and it solved my problems. THANK YOU!

Uncheck the box next to the capture button. Start the camera playback manually, then click on the windv capture button when the playback window plays your DV.

I have been messing with this for years. I even changed firewire card and cable. Turns out it was a bug with windv and my canon elura 100.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  15. from my old experience with WinDV...

There is a problem if the tape you are trying to capture is recorded in different SP/LP modes (mixture)
    The audio will change from 16bit to 12 bit (48KHz to 44.1) SP to LP mode
    WinDV cant handle the change in audio mode so audio is dropped.
    Make sure your capture file(s) do not cross recording modes

ALSO
    When uploading back to camera any footage via WinDV the is a bug at approx 7 seconds (13 cant remember) that causes a temporary audio glitch in video recorded Back to Camera.
    (Altering Windows buffers doesnt seem to fix the problem and it only occurs once during the upload in the first seconds, like a dropped frame)
    I have noticed this glitch on different capture hardware (PC) so its not specifically one model (Sony) camera or Pentium, or Win2000, WinXP

other than that WinDV (1.2.3) is a brilliant little program
    Last edited by kiwiDV; 17th Feb 2010 at 22:03.
    Quote Quote