VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What can I use to watch avi videos on a SD card on my TV. Is there a inexpensive
    interface?

I want to watch videos from my digital camera as well as other avi videos on my TV.

thanks
    Ken
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, best i can think of is to get yourself a Divx/Dvd Player which has slots for memory cards or a USB port. It's much to hard to find a TV which has a reader in it already so this is probably your best bet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Do note that the following options may or may not be problems in playing Divx/Xvid on a DVD player:
    1) GMC
    2) QPel (Quarter pixel)
    3) Packed bitstream
    4) Resolutions greater than 720x576
    5) Bitrates higher than 2000 Kbps.

If any of these issues cause playback problems for you, you'll have to re-encode. Well, you can fix packed bitstream with MPEG4Modifier without re-encoding, but you'll have to re-encode to fix any problems with the other 4.

If you want to connect your PC to a TV to watch the videos, that would eliminate the problems I listed. You'll need either a TV out option on your PC TV card or some kind of cable to connect your SD TV to your PC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does your camera have a video out port? If so, connect it to your TV and play the videos on the camera. The connection is usually composite and the video low-resolution so don't expect stunning reults...but it's an inexpensive interface.

If your camera can connect to your computer, transfer the AVI files to your computer. Or use an SD card reader to handle the task. You can watch the videos on your computer. If you have a DVD burner you can then encode the AVI's to DVD format and burn video DVD(s) of them. You can then watch them on a DVD player connected to your TV but your profile does not list a DVD player so you would probably have to buy one...a bit more expensive.

Or build an HTPC and output to your TV...but that would be expensive.

VH
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KenK
    What can I use to watch avi videos on a SD card on my TV. Is there a inexpensive
    interface?
    Your TV accepts SD cards? What does the manual say about video formats accepted?

In my experience, these cards are only supported for JPG slideshows and MP3 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a LG DVD player with an sd card slot and divx avi mpg compatabillty.
    The model number is LDA 511 I think I got it at circuit city.
    I think it cost me $150 when I bought it but that was 2 years ago.
    My question I have is about subtitles wondering if I could add subs to the SD card and make it work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not familiar with divx subtitles modes but you could encode divx with subtitles burned in.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not that many DVD players handle muxed subtitles. Best bet would be to use .srt subtitles, with the same name as the video; movie.avi + movie.srt in the same directory.
    On some players (like mine) you have to first select the subtitle file, then start the movie; Some will automagically pick up the subtitles using the "same name" principle.

/Mats
    Quote Quote