VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if this doesn’t make much sense but I’m new to all this, I’ve tried searching for this information before posting but I must not be using the correct jargon.
    I have about 400 videos in various formats and sizes mpg 1, mpeg 2, mp4 (mostly Nero digital), avi, divx, dat, xvid and probably some others.
    I would like to convert them all to a standard (widescreen) full screen resolution for playback on a TV. I don’t mind if the video is stretched, but would prefer not losing too much of the picture if it can be helped. I know some have borders as part of the video but hopefully I could trim the borders off first then recode to the same resolution.
    Ideally I would like them to play in some sort of media centre without having to install extra codecs.
    I would also like to be able to edit them in nerovision at the moment Nero doesn’t recognize half the videos.
    All of these videos play using vlc media player but some of them have problems with seeking.
    So my question is does anyone know of a program that can do this or am I expecting too much?
    If this isn’t possible does anyone know of a media centre style front end that I could use with VLC?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are expecting too much. SUPER is probably the closest, but the quality will suffer.

If you want VLC to be your main player for various formats, simply associate it with those formats in Windows, and it will be the default player.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most of those formats can be played on any half decent Divx certified DVD player. Then all you would have to do is burn the files as data and play.

Any reencoding that you perform on your files will result in loss of quality. So if at all possible, you want to only perform encoding when absolutely necessary to make a file playable.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote