VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i need help deciding which wireless router to get. i had to return the linksys wrt300n because it wouldn't alow me to setup my own network name. after working with a linksys rep for about 8hrs I was finally told to try another one. What do you think, should I try another brand? If so, what do you suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, will review.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have set up several w/less network in-home sytems using D-Link 802.11 router and D-Link w/less NICs. Never had a problem in any way. Interesting review on your router: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wrt300n-router/4505-3319_7-31851121.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use an older dlink di524 WIFI G router. Love it - works great. Its worked with my laptops no name wifi pc card. Its worked with my xbox wifi adapter before I traded in the xbox. It's currently working great with my Nintendo WII. It also works with my Aptiva wifi G usb dongle I have on my hp vista pc.

Dlink seems to make good routers. I've had this one for years now without any issues.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my opinion, if you have little interference and obstruction of signals, just about any router will work.

If you have interference, concrete or brick walls, or other obstructions, you results will differ with various G, preN and other enhanced routers of varying brands. If the router is other than wirelessG, your adaptors should be from the same maker.

Remember when installing, that your neighbors have probably selected the default channel (6) and select something else. Even low signal strength networks at your neighbors will reduce your performance so find all of the networks within range and their channels.

If you have a 2.4mhz cordless phone, google search for channels to avoid.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    ranchhand: maybe that's where i'm going wrong
    old netgear, signal was useless, and it was 11mbps only
    current 'this is excellent, get this!' linksys, keeps locking up (!) and the 54mbps speed keeps dropping out, making it more worthwhile to lock it to 11mbit anyway.
    d-link, maybe it'll fix both these issues.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad I could help! Also remember that D-Link has superb support on 800 number. These guys know their stuff, and I *think* that it is domestic tech support if you catch my drift.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    hmmmm.... more stuff on that page suggests i may be suffering the "5 day timeout" issue (likely, as i can't see any way of altering the setting with the default firmware, and i often open LOTS of internet windows/tabs - and my brother likes hit bit torrents wayyyyy too much) and it's time to see if i can do a sideways upgrade to the homebrew Tomato firmware. Right now i have to reset it every few days when it breaks down. Usually at mum's request as it only ever reaches the limit just before she turns her laptop on...
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    one of the most embarassing things these days is to be in a wireless coffeeshop or somewhere using your laptop, and along comes somebody begging for help to sign on; and when you look at their machine, its a total confusion of customized gibberish; and when you can't figure it out in like 30 seconds, your entire rep as a geek in that coffeeshop is ruined, and so then you gotta move outta town and raise goats...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for your suggestions, i really appreciate it. I am also wondering if the wrt54gs with speedbooster really makes a difference or just get one without speedbooster. as suggested, i heard it would be better to hold of on n routers. I should wait till the new n routers come out. Also, the linksys reps kept on telling me to set the security on WEP and not WAP or WAP2. They said something about it not being the right security level and It would lock me out after some time. is this true or are they just being lazy? What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ade007, I think you mean WPA and WPA2 which is much more secure than WEP. Once ISP rep told me I should use WEP because the rep said it was more secure which is completely false, and I've never been locked out after more than 3 years using WPA. Just do some Google searches for wireless security to find that WPA is more secure if you don't know that already. BTW there's a Trendnet wireless router with excellent customer reviews that's just $5 after rebate from CompUSA if you may want to consider it. See weekly specials at www.bensbargains.net if interested. I have a Trendnet PCI wireless adapter that works well within 4000 square feet, and I have no doubt their router should be excellent too.
    Quote Quote