VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased the subject program and have been trying to troubleshoot why I can't see my DV movie on the capture screen. I can control my DV camcorder with the capture buttons and I see the timelog(?) running but the screen is blank. When I click the "stop video" button I get a pop-up window that says something to the effect of "image not recorded". I'm using a JVC GR-D72 camecorder and have the device setting on standard seeing how my model camera isn't one of the cameras on the device list. I have also selected all the other device selections to see if they were compatable with my camcorder but I still got the same pop up window. FYI my computer has plenty of hard-drive space and plays DVD's. Any suggestons would be great

Cheers,
    Keith
    Quote Quote  
  2. Windows-based video application communicate with DV camcorders on two levels. One is for device control (rewinding, play, pause etc) and the other is for the audio/video data. Only one program can connect to a camcorder and communicate at the latter level. For the device control level, there is no limit - multiple programs can be running and control the device.

In your case, it seems that you can control the device but not get at the audio/video data. My guess is that you have some other program running that has staked its claim to the camcorder. Common culprits are background applications installed by packages from companies such as Nero and Pinnacle. Another one is Windows Explorer/My Computer. With Windows XP, when you connect a DV camcorder, you get a folder created under My Computer with a name similar to "JVC DV Camcorder". If you open that folder, you should see a live feed from the camcorder. If you leave the folder open and try to capture via Elements, it will fail because the folder currently has exclusive access to the audio/video.

The folder is also a valuable troubleshooting tool - without any applications running, connect the camcorder, turn it on, wait for the "ba-dip" announcing "device arrival" and then open the folder. Check the following:

1. Did the "ba-dip" occur?
    2. If so, did Windows create a new folder for the camcorder?
    3. If so, can you see video when you open the folder?

If you can successfully pass all three checks, you can be sure that the connection between the camcorder and the computer is good. You now need to find any background programs that are running and possibly interfering with other programs (Elements).
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow great info John, I'll give it a try this eve. Maybe your help will change the way my wife feels about me being a threat to society when I'm trying to operate the computer!

Keith
    Quote Quote