VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi,

i just have a quick question regarding dvd burning speed.

i'm using an LG branded dvd burner that is 18x for dvd-r

the program i'm using is power producer, just burning avi's mainly.

and (i don't even know if its relevant) i've got 256mb RAM

they're taking about 5 hours to burn about 4.5gb worth of video.

is this normal? is there something i can do to speed it up?

cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's taking 5 hours to burn, it's doing more than just burning. I would guess it's 're-encoding' and that will take quite a while with some computers.

A 18X burner, usually no matter what OS or memory, should take less than 10 minutes to burn at full speed.

But that is usually with DVDs. With data DVDs, you have a problem. Even at 1X, it wouldn't take anywhere near that long as no re-encoding should be involved.

First, I would try different software to burn. There is a problem.

One possibility is that your burner has reverted to PIO mode. That can slow down the process, but not normally that slow.

To check DMA/PIO mode within Windows:

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

From there, right click on one of the channels and choose 'Properties>Advanced Settings'. All drives should be DMA mode. The 'Current Transfer Mode' for Hard drives is usually DMA 4-6 and DVD burners DMA 2-4, DVD ROMs usually DMA 2. If you see any in PIO mode, that can slow things down.

Changing them back may be easy or complicated. First see if you can change them in that window. If not, I usually uninstall the channel the drive is on and let the OS reinstall it. This will usually take a reboot. This will not damage any files on the computer.
    BTW, 256MB or RAM will cripple XP. 512MB is the minimum I would use. With the present price of RAM, I would go for 1GB instead.

If you are just doing a data burn, you might try the freeware ImgBurn instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good old power producer , its re-encoding them to fit the media ... it came with mine as well , but rarely use it .

If you just want to stick the avi's onto dvd as is , then imgburn will do it quick smart , though , they may not all fit .

256mb of ram is ok but at the low end , more would be better , and any encoding would speed up .

keep burn speed to half the maximum rating of media , or 4x .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, this is rediculous!

i used dvd flick- its trying to re-encode them as well.

and i tried imgburn and it won't even recognise avi's!

why is it re-encoding? what is it re-encoding? that might give me a few hints as to what i need to do differently.

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're trying to create a Video DVD, the source video has to be reencoded and authored to Video DVD specifications. AVI is not in the Video DVD specs, so has to be reencoded.
    Either start reading here
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=&tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=AVI+...or+List+Guides
    or buy convertx2dvd or buy a player that plays AVI without conversion.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by nobbyiscool
    i tried imgburn and it won't even recognise avi's!
    You need to run ImgBurn in Build mode.
    Quote Quote