VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I've been searching for a batch processing tool for HCenc. I know I can write a bat file and batch encode that way but I'm not the greatest at that. Much simpler if there is a gui.

I found an interesting program called BatchCCEWS. It is a batch file processor for HCenc and some other encoders.

It serves my purposes well although there are a few bugs...(some of the settings don't work right, like setting a different destination output folder.) Development seems to have stopped. Last version was posted early 2006.

The good thing is the source code is posted so mabe some of you coders out there will continue development.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I do all the settings in HCEnc and then save it to a ini file from the HCEnc GUI. Then it is easy to just batch HCEnc to use those ini files. This way no options are missing because you set everything with HCEnc's own GUI.

It would probably be easy to make a GUI that creates the BAT-file by loading a list of HCEnc ini-files. Maybe I'll create such a program just for fun if I get time to do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ronnylov
    It would probably be easy to make a GUI that creates the BAT-file by loading a list of HCEnc ini-files. Maybe I'll create such a program just for fun if I get time to do it.
    Brother that would be great if you would. I'll try the method you described.

BTW If anyone is willing to look at BatchCCEWS the sourcecode is Micrsoft Visual C++
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, for me, a good (any good) batch GUI would be one that is drag n drop easy.
    Most of everything that I do is DnD. And I hate it when someone developes an
    app and it doesn't feature DnD. Just makes me plumb mad. Look it ffmpegGUI.
    Perfect example -- Baldrick, are you listening. been asking (hinting) for
    this a years. Anyway.

ronnylov has a point.. about a gui scenario for .ini files.

I guess there are multiple approachs for batch gui's

Actually, I'm working on a batch list tool, myself, and in much similar way
    to a GUI front-end to other tools, cause I need that flexibility to call other
    external tools. Doesn't really do much, cause its still in the drafting stages.
    If I get it to a point worth posting, I'll drop by again and post a screen shot
    of it.

-vhelp 4317
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For now, we'll call this, Batch List.

Ok. I thought I would post some ideas I have cooking in a tool I was working
    on, rather slowly. Anyway.

The idea behind this scheme is the follow a certain path, sort of like a cooking
    receipe where you start at Step A through Step Z. For instance, say you have
    the following:

** 5 videos to encode
    ** 2 to process through pulldown
    ** 3 to author through ifoEdit

Its not important to know why your procesing your videos this way, just that
    you can, however.

Thus, the Batch List tool would consist of the following:

Code:
    LN TOOL:    PARAMS  Filename/Command Strings/Projects 
    ========    ======  =================================
    01 TMPGenc          video1.avs
    02 TMPGenc          video2.avs
    03 TMPGenc          video3.avs
    04 TMPGenc          video4.avs
    05 TMPGenc          video5.avs
    06 PULLDOWN         video3.mpg 
    07 PULLDOWN         video4.mpg 
    08 ifoEdit          video3.mpg
    09 ifoEdit          video4.mpg
    10 ifoEdit          video5.mpg
    So you drag 5 (avisynth script) files to process through TMPGenc to encode to
    MPEG. Then, you add 2 projects to run through PULLDOWN, and then you add
    3 projects to run through ifoEdit. Sometimes, you can't drag files, so you have
    to add them manually. This is ok. If you had them in .BAT files, then you could
    have just thrown them onto the Batch List tool and batch [RUN] them all.

Under TOOL would be a pop-up list box of tools to choose. Also, there would be
    a PARAM field for any parameters to include for each tool. You can [x] Hide the
    paramater from view so that clutter is at a minimum.

The goal here (for me at least) is to create a bare-bones listbox like pad. Where
    you drop files or objects and make last minute tuning, such as params, etc. and
    then process.

Bare in mind that the above is a tool in progress. I'll post a screen cap of what I
    have so far, later. For now, my eyes are too heavy now and I'm falling asleep.

-vhelp 4318
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is what I was hoping for. I good pool of ideas.

Vhelp your gui sounds very interesting. When you get to the point where you are ready to test it please post it and I will be happy to test for you. I'm not a programmer but I will help where I can!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Came across a batch gui for quenc called Kuuess. I saw it mentioned in another thread. It seems useful.

Since quenc and HCenc command line parameters are almost exactly the same perhaps Kuuess could be modified to use HCenc.

Only problem is the source code isn't posted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ronnylov
    I do all the settings in HCEnc and then save it to a ini file from the HCEnc GUI. Then it is easy to just batch HCEnc to use those ini files. This way no options are missing because you set everything with HCEnc's own GUI.
    I said I would try it and I did. All I can say is.....Thank You! I loaded a few avs scripts into hcgui, adjusted the settings for each (using the GUI...love this), then clicked "save ini" (using file names with no spaces) for each avs script.

Next I did a little google searching to learn some bat commands...came up with this.

Code:
    for %%a in (F:\HC_ini_files\*.ini) do F:\HC_ini_files\hc\HCenc_021.exe -ini %%a
    I saved that text as HC Batch file.bat

HC_ini_files is the directory I saved the ini files to. I also saved a copy of HCenc_021.exe to this direcory (basically because in the past I have had problems with batch files and spaces in file names and directories).

This will work for any one just change the directories accordingly in your text file.

Worked great. Just double clicked the bat file and watched it work. One note ... make sure to point to the commandline exe and not the gui exe.

Thanks Ronny for the advice. Worked pretty well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ freebird73717

The problem with c:\S P A C E S.mpg inside filenames/folder/directory names is an easy fix.
    Just include quotes outside them.

Example 1: "c:\S P A C E S.mpg"

Example 2: "c:\my folder\SPA CES.mpg"

On another note..

Remember my ideas for the Batch List gui ??

Well, I'm still working on it, and got some more ideas I won't post demo pic
    (or tool) of it until I feel it is worthy. But, so far, I like how its comming along.

About the hardest parts or aspect of GUI 'ing tools for *other* tools is knowing
    what the other tools commands/functions are. And worse, if the tool(s) are
    DOS based. Then, it becomes a question of Console Piping debugging, where
    you "capture" the dos apps text, and bring it into your GUI tool for conenience
    or other purposes. I've had several bouts with this topic, console piping. It's
    not an easy area to code for.

Well, that's about it, for now. I hope ronnylov scored better, in his.

-vhelp 4327
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Well, I have not had any time to do any programming because when my small children (9 months old girl and soon 4 years old girl) finally fells asleep then I'm too tired to do anything useful...

However I am happy that freebird 73717 solved his problem himself. Your BAT-script is more complicated that I use to do, I just make a long list of the commands but you're solution is quite clever! I guess there's no need for a batch gui for HCEnc, everybody can use your script method instead.

Yes, the solution for filenames in BAT-scripts is to put them within quotation marks like "C:\My file with spaces.exe" just as vhelp told you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks guys for all the help.

Vhelp glad your gui is going well. When your ready for testing post here or start a new thread and pm me. I'll be glad to test.

Ronnylov I quite understand about the kids. I have two boys (19 months and soon to be 6 years). There both sleeping right now. Thats about the only time I can get stuff done.

Have a good one guys. I'm sure I'll talk to you both again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've created a small guide for the batch script. Posted it here.

Made sure to give proper credit to you guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Okay I took the plunge and have started learning to program c# using the ide sharpdevelop. If you guys get the chance you might check out the development thread for HCbatchGUI (requires .net 2) and offer suggestions or criticizms. Thanks for all the help you guys have offered.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic336128.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I've used HCenc for awhile now and was always impressed by the quality but always depressed when I wanted to encode many movies at once. I found no good batch methods.
    So, as a programmer, I decided to write my own. It allows BATCH encoding of your videos and you can of course set bitrates and resolution etc.. You can even CROP and ROTATE or add borders to the videos. It also handles AUDIO so that your final output is a playable MPG file complete with audio. My audio options allow bitrate, samplerate, stereo/mono/Dolby 5.1 etc.. and you can adjust the volume as well.
    So once you have all your settings in place for your project, you just run the batch button and then sit back and let it churn. All the encoding (HCenc) and audio encoding (ffmpeg) and merging (mplex) are done in the background so you don't have to mess around with anything. It's all automatic!!!!!
    You can download it at my site of....
    www.smatters.com/HCCompanion
    I noticed a lot of people mentioning the lack of BATCH mode and so I thought it would be useful to create such a program. If anyone likes my program and has any bug fixes or spelling error corrections or some other valuable contribution, I will give a free registration for it. You are not required to register, although I sadly have a "nag" screen in there, because my other freeware-donate endeavors didn't equate into much funds even though thousands of downloads and people telling me how wonderful my product was ;((((
    Tell me what you think
    Thanks
    Davie
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hey davie.

I'll have a look at your gui. But I will say spamming the board in two different threads is not a good way to start. Go to the tools page and submit your tool there. You can also open your own thread for your tool if you like. Jut like i did for HCbatchGUI almost 3 years ago.
    I've got to say though... a nag screen and registration for something that ties together a bunch of freeware tools won't garner much votes here. But hey. It's your software. You can do with it what you want. I prefer releasing opensource myself. No nag screens. No registrations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    edit
    reply to a spam post removed.
    Last edited by freebird73717; 21st Apr 2011 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote