VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please help!

I am using VirtualDub-MPEG2 to get a vob file from a dvd and convert the file to avi. I compress using Divx and the file comes out fine, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to make it smaller. It's a 20 min or so clip that projects around 300+MB while its rendering at 512x384, but I want it around 120MB, at the best quality possibilty. I know the lower size you go the worse the quality, but I'm trying to fit about 13 of these onto a 4.7 disc. If anyone has this program and can help tell me how to get the overall file size down to 120 or lower, please let me know!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. File size = bitrate * running time

Use a lower bitrate. Use a bitrate calculator to figure out what bitrate you need for the file size you want.

Use multipass (two or more) encoding for best quality. Set up everything the way you want. Set Divx up for Multipass 1st pass. Save as AVI. (During this first pass Divx is only examining the video.) Go back and change Divx to Multipass Nth pass. Select the bitrate you want. Save as AVI again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And make sure you don't inadvertently convert the audio to PCM WAV audio.
    I'm trying to fit about 13 of these onto a 4.7 disc.
    If they're all like the first - 20 minutes and 300 MB - they'll all easily fit.
    Quote Quote