VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a International version of Pioneer DVR-640H-S with 250gb HD. Does anyone know the file system (line NTSC or FAT32 etc.) it's formatted. My PC (win2k OS) does not recognize the file system, says "unknown file system". I was trying connect the HD to my PC to transfer all the video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but as far as I know there is no way of hooking up the HDD directly to the computer and transferring the videos to your computer. You just have to burn them to DVD from the Pioneer 640 then rip these disc's on your computer. Even if you could see the files on your computer the files are encrypted and I haven't heard of anyone ever being able to break this encryption.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KTH
    Sorry, but as far as I know there is no way of hooking up the HDD directly to the computer and transferring the videos to your computer. You just have to burn them to DVD from the Pioneer 640 then rip these disc's on your computer. Even if you could see the files on your computer the files are encrypted and I haven't heard of anyone ever being able to break this encryption.
    I'm not asking how I can hook up to a PC.

I've can hookup the hdd to the computer w/o any problem. i've modified mine into an external hdd enclosure. i took the hdd to connect it to the pc. pc see's the drive but comes as "unknown file system"

I did the same thing with my older ILO DVDRHD04 and it works since ILO drive is in FAT32 format
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not trying to tell you that you cannot hookup the HDD to your computer. What I am trying to say is that as far as I know no one has ever been able to extract the video data successfully by directly hooking up the HDD from the Pioneer directly to a computer. In fact all the major Japanese companies (Panasonic, Toshiba, etc.) use this type of protection on their HDD equipped DVD recorders to prevent what you are trying to do. Another place to check for more info would be the Avsforum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=106
    Quote Quote  
  5. While I and Corona were busy extracting the TV Guide and timer functions from a Pioneer DVR-531H recorder's hard drive, we found the operating system for the recorder is related to Linux not Windows.

Linux has its own filesystem formats. Try the link below for more information about Linux formats,
    http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2intro.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Eclipsed:
    Would you please describe how you modified your 640 to use an external HD?
    Thanks
    Louis
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agdex
    Eclipsed:
    Would you please describe how you modified your 640 to use an external HD?
    Thanks
    Louis
    I had to use a special IDE cable (one end male & other end female http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=656 ) and a hd power cable extension. then brought both other ends of power cable & ide cable outside the box whch is then connected to an external ide box (somehting like this http://www.addonics.com/products/external_hdd/combo_removable.asp ). removed the hd from the recorder to the external ide box. I have a same external ide box in my pc. To connect to PC, I just swap the inside part of the external ide box.
    i can take some pictures and post later.

It worked great with my ILO DVRHD04 (for this i didn't even need any special ide cable).

some usb hack would be nice. i records stuff in highest quality with LPCM audio, so transferring via DVD is a big pain (only 1 hour at a time)
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trhouse
    While I and Corona were busy extracting the TV Guide and timer functions from a Pioneer DVR-531H recorder's hard drive, we found the operating system for the recorder is related to Linux not Windows.

Linux has its own filesystem formats. Try the link below for more information about Linux formats,
    http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2intro.html
    In some of those AVSforum threads, the file system of the Pioneers was described as being something proprietary, and hence non-accessible. (I guess encrypted would have about the same result.) If it was some sort of straight-up Linux deal, I have to think it would have been cracked a long time ago.

Hkan might know . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  9. eclipsed QUOTE
    "I had to use a special IDE cable (one end male & other end female"
    -------------------------------

Does Your Pioneer have a female connection on the main board.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe Pioneer uses a version of BSD for their HDD file systems. More about BSD at

http://www.seas.ucla.edu/classes/mkampe/cs111.sq05/docs/bsd.html

Corona
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LCSHG
    eclipsed QUOTE
    "I had to use a special IDE cable (one end male & other end female"
    -------------------------------

Does Your Pioneer have a female connection on the main board.
    yes
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks

That explains the spec cable. I don’t have a Pioneer but have a number of Liteon/ilo 5045, RHD04, 5005, R04 units
    I am interested in the Pioneer units and their specific issues.
    Having looked at a number of posts and sites, relative to the Pioneer I had found those and links given by
    [ trhouse and Corona ] --- very informative.

PS
    I think most formats/file-systems have been modified somewhat . More-so in the Pioneer and I’m sure other units in the use of different systems.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my ILO DVDRHD04 works great and it uses FAT32 system. Only reason I got the Pioneer is for LPCM audio. Also, Pioneer International version has a lot of extras than the US version (bigger HD and DV input). Looks like I'm stuck with burning 1hour chunk of DVD at a time.
    Quote Quote