VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Forum,
    I have a Compaq Presario V5233EA laptop which has a VGA port and also an S-Video port (7 pins). But my Sony Trinitron TV is about 4 years old and does not have an S-Video in (only the RCA jacks i think). What is the best possible way to connect them so that i get the laptop screen on the TV?

Out of the VGA and the S-Video ports which one will result in better quality on the TV?
    Please if possible can you guys upload a picture of the cable that i should buy?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the tv is that old you will need to spend quite a lot of money... the pixels in older tvs are a different shape to the computers so you need a converter (£300 the one i was considering...but got new tv instead :P) its not a matter of just a lead.

If your that desperate I'd suggest you treat yourself to new TV and then all youo need is a cheap lead.

(If you do still want to use that TV write back and ill give you a few links)
    HERE TO HELP

Ollie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Easy to do from S-Video out but don't expect great quality. S-Video carries luminance and chrominance on separate coax (4 pins). Composite (RCA) results from a sum of luminance Y and chrominance C.

Composite = Y+C

Female pins

It can be accomplished with a cable or adapter.

If your Video out connector has more than 4 pins, the 4 pin adapter will probably still fit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a 7 pin S-video out, you may already have a composite video out. S-video is normally 4 pins. With 7 pin out, two of the extras are likely composite video and composite video ground. But composite will look terrible on most TVs. You will be unlikely to be able to read any but the largest text and video may be a bit unclear.

I would take a look in your laptop manual and see if it discusses composite video out or suggest an adapter. Even with a S-video 4 pin output you can get composite by hooking two of the leads together. But I wouldn't advise trying it unless you really know what you are doing.

As mentioned, you can get a scan converter and use the VGA video out, but they can be expensive.

EDIT: edDV was ahead of me, with diagrams and illustrations, no less.

I think I have a couple of those adapters left over from ATI video cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pins 1-4 are usually Y/C

The other 3 pins vary for different display cards. Many NVidia cards use 5, 6, 7 for analog component video. Some cards or laptops even put sound on those pins. You need to see the manual.

Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for your replies and illustrations guys. Greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I cant buy a new TV at the moment nor that converter which electricsguy mentioned. Isn't there an easier way like a cable with 7 pin S-Video plug at one end and the yellow RCA plug to connect to the back of the TV at the other end? I already have a cable for the audio which has a 3.5 mm plug at one end and a red and white RCA plug at the other.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Connector widely used on ATI and other graphics cards. Carrys s-video and composite signals

Some sources report that pin 6 is Composite video, pin 7 - composite ground

Generally the first four pins on those 7-pin connectors on the same places as the standard four pin S-video connector have practically always the same fuctionality as those pins in S-video connector

Yes , the 4 pin will fit , but only black and white output under rca .

While quality on screen may not be the same as on the pc screen , it also depends if you set your pc screen to its lowest resolution , which helps .

Trying to send 1600x1200 wont ... and make any fonts impossible to be read which increase eye strain .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Bjs

Yes , the 4 pin will fit , but only black and white output under rca .
    So you mean i will not get colour under the current conditions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on how the pins were assigned by who ever made it ... not all have there crap squared away .

Well from dell , using the 4pin din , no , but thats also dependant on the chipset and its drivers ... mines the old Radeon Mobility M6 LY here on the laptop ... what the ? ... no pal bhg .

I have even asked dell australia , and even they are confused about the 7 pin adapter ... why install this component and not supply the adapter is plain stupidity .

I have the scematics for the 7pin din conversion to single rca output ... here somewhere ... crap just dissapears from online all the time .

Might take a while to find it in my backups .

----

I have seen a 4pin din conversion to rca , which apparently works , but if its done incorrectly , it can damage the system , as one person already found out ... they just connected the wire's without the other component , and that was that .

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html > schematic
    http://www.computerbase.co.uk/system/index.html > info on issue with manufacturers

----

You can buy a 7pin din > 4pin din conversion cable in ebay , which should work with units that support svideo input ... dosent help those who dont have this available option .

Do not touch the cheap crap ... or risk damage .

Just found these in ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Dell-CPt-CPi-C-Series-R-Series-TV-Out-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ28...QQcmdZViewItem

I'll grab the whole lot for testing purpose's ... if they do , it'll be dissasemble time .

====

More info :

http://tvtool.info/english/cablefaq3_e.htm
    http://www.epanorama.net/links/pc_video.html
    http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php < pin info
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks a lot Bjs. I will look into those links.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    Connector widely used on ATI and other graphics cards. Carrys s-video and composite signals

Your computer manual should give a pin connection list like above. An S-Video to composite adapter as shown in my drawing should sum to color composite if pins 1-4 carry S-Video. Most do. I see no reason why it would give monochrome.

Monochrome would result for PAL if the S-Video out was set to NTSC. Make sure it is set for PAL. Desktop resolution of 800x600 usually gives adequate results. 800x600 is only setting the scale of the desktop. Actual resolution on the S-Video or composite output is set by the PAL system to 576 scan lines. Horizontal resolution would be no more than 600.

BYW: The Compaq Presario V5233EA laptop is listed as using the
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 chipset.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I find it hard to believe your 4 Year old Trinitron has only composite inputs? Was it a really cheap Non Sony? I have lowend 27" SDTV Sony that has multiple inputs that have Composite and S-Video for each input. I have a Older 32" Sharp SDTV that has composite on the front and another input on the back that has both Composite and S-video inputs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. @TBoneit: What do you mean by 'Non Sony'? Do you mean a 'fake' Sony? If yes then i can assure you its a genuine Sony Trinitron 21" because i bought it from an authorized showroom. Anyways i checked again for S-Video input with new hopes but nope...no S-Video. Only composite.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edDV

Whats the question : 7 pin din to rca = color output problem

Manuals dont always clearly indicate the functions of each pin or never ... service manuals do , but do not come with pc's , laptop's , and other associated equipment , unless one specifically requests it , and pays for it .

One of the links actually shows how to make a conversion cable , which should work for those that find only monochrome output , even if set to pal , is displayed , which is what the op is wondering about and what is exactly happening .

While the 7 pin din may have became a standard in design , not all manufacturers used the same pins ... This is why some work , and others do not ... there's also a wide difference between cable designs , which is why the same problem appears again .

And this is why there are a lot of conversion kits made available ... finding the exact one that works with your equipment can represent its own unique problems .

As for the resolution of the tv ... most pcs can only be set to a minimum resolution of 800x600 anyway , so why bother with such details ... as you said .

usually gives adequate results
    I agree with this , but only so far as that it makes dealing with fonts a little easier to understand on a tv display , and is the only time it should be done ... for the purpose of display to a crowd , which is what I do most of the time .

What is more important is the frequency being sent to the display , which , if the manufacturer did not stick with the standards , is what that link I gave earlier shows ... how to build a conversion cable .

The compaq presario v5233ea manual makes only a mention of "plug it in > here , diagram" or "go to dick smiths" to get a suitable svideo cable .

Theres suitable , and not suitable , which was indicated in the original points I made earlier .

----

So in this case , for the OP , they should take the lappy down to their local electronics store , where several svideo cables from several vendors can be tried ... one must work ... it dose exist , but if its not in stock , you have to keep looking .

Most of these sales people wouldnt know the difference ... all svideo's cables to them are the same thing , unless they are informed that this is not the case .

Now that brings up the point about ... why the cable is not supplied with the lappy in the first place ... dosent it ?

I personally wouldnt receive one unless it is complete , including this cable , that actually works with the unit ... or it would be deemed as an unsalable item on the spot , and returned .
    Quote Quote  
  15. @ Bjs: Yes i was disappointed too that the cable was not supplied with the laptop. Actually my brother bought it for me. I checked on there website and they claim that the cable is NOT supplied with it.
    I may go down to an electronics store to try some cables but isn't that a bit risky? You once said i might damage the system if i try to do anything i am not too sure about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    edDV

Whats the question : 7 pin din to rca = color output problem

Manuals dont always clearly indicate the functions of each pin or never ... service manuals do , but do not come with pc's , laptop's , and other associated equipment , unless one specifically requests it , and pays for it .

One of the links actually shows how to make a conversion cable , which should work for those that find only monochrome output , even if set to pal , is displayed , which is what the op is wondering about and what is exactly happening .
    That wasn't the op question. Op asked how to get from VGA or 7pin din to composite in India (supposedly PAL).

Somebody else mentioned monochrome. My original post showed the normal 4pin to composite adapter wiring that should work since pins 1-4 are usually the same. Pins 5-7 differ. Pins 5-7 have been used to carry a composite, YPbPr analog component or composite+audio. Each needs a custom cable.

Originally Posted by Bjs
    While the 7 pin din may have became a standard in design , not all manufacturers used the same pins ... This is why some work , and others do not ... there's also a wide difference between cable designs , which is why the same problem appears again .

And this is why there are a lot of conversion kits made available ... finding the exact one that works with your equipment can represent its own unique problems .
    Yes but the 4 pin adapter should work for each. If not, research the exact match.

Originally Posted by Bjs
    As for the resolution of the tv ... most pcs can only be set to a minimum resolution of 800x600 anyway , so why bother with such details ... as you said .
    Not true. S-Video out selections are usually 640x640, 800x600, 1024x768 and others for "Desktop Area" This defines the desktiop size that will be downsized to S-Video.

Example ATI

Originally Posted by Bjs
    What is more important is the frequency being sent to the display , which , if the manufacturer did not stick with the standards , is what that link I gave earlier shows ... how to build a conversion cable .

The compaq presario v5233ea manual makes only a mention of "plug it in > here , diagram" or "go to dick smiths" to get a suitable svideo cable .

Theres suitable , and not suitable , which was indicated in the original points I made earlier .
    The 4pin adapter described in that link is the same as I described in the first post and the one I'm recommending be tried first.

Originally Posted by Bjs
    So in this case , for the OP , they should take the lappy down to their local electronics store , where several svideo cables from several vendors can be tried ... one must work ... it dose exist , but if its not in stock , you have to keep looking .

Most of these sales people wouldnt know the difference ... all svideo's cables to them are the same thing , unless they are informed that this is not the case .

Now that brings up the point about ... why the cable is not supplied with the lappy in the first place ... dosent it ?

I personally wouldnt receive one unless it is complete , including this cable , that actually works with the unit ... or it would be deemed as an unsalable item on the spot , and returned .
    Many do supply a video cable oir adapter but it soon gets misplaced.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indiannawaf
    @ Bjs: Yes i was disappointed too that the cable was not supplied with the laptop. Actually my brother bought it for me. I checked on there website and they claim that the cable is NOT supplied with it.
    I may go down to an electronics store to try some cables but isn't that a bit risky? You once said i might damage the system if i try to do anything i am not too sure about.
    They will probably have the 1-4 pin adapter. They probably won't have all the versions of the 7pin cables. Those are best obtained from the laptop manufacturer or online.

A laptop specialty store may carry the more popular 7pin cables.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by indiannawaf
    @TBoneit: What do you mean by 'Non Sony'? Do you mean a 'fake' Sony? If yes then i can assure you its a genuine Sony Trinitron 21" because i bought it from an authorized showroom. Anyways i checked again for S-Video input with new hopes but nope...no S-Video. Only composite.
    No, What I meant was that Sony isn't the only one that used Trinitron tubes. By Saying Trinitron it sort of implied a different brand of TV. Whereas if you Said Sony I would of course assume it was a Trinitron as I do not believe Sony used anything else since soon after they developed it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Wow... a 4-year-old TV that only has composite input?!

S**t sucks, man. I'm kind of amazed by that. Only Sony, in America, would try to pull that kind of thing

*puts it next to 6 or 7-ish year old off-brand 14" set that's sat in my cupboard... about as cheap as they come, but with composite, svideo and rgb inputs*
    ... in fact my laptop ONLY came with a straight 7 pin -> SVideo cable (which I then lost, and replaced with a completely standard 4-pin one), and with a scart adaptor, haven't bothered using anything else on any non-HD TV I've used it with... mostly very cheap ones

Hope this all works for you... don't be afraid of a little soldering if it comes down to it!
    Oh and don't forget to just leave it at 800x600, or 640x480 if you can...

/nothing better to add
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well , I finally got them , all 3 and a free one thrown in , and guess what .

I have colour now , so I know what I was talking about in the first place when it came down to how the standards had become muddled by manufacture's over this time and why there is much confussion , and why a cable that should have worked , simply dont in most case's .

Dell latitude , D series , use's pin 2 and exterior din shell > rca outer shell , and pin 5 > internal rca connector , for color output via rca .

So in the case of dell for the particular model mentioned , they do infact , go against the standards , but followed the s-video output standards ... pity its in BLACK and WHITE ... idiots .

----

As for edDV , and assumption on output resolutions supported , here's a HINT that cannot be ignored ... EVER

Some programs will NOT run on a display with a resolution set lower than 800 x 600 , the main reason I did not mention using 640x480 resolution in the first place .

----

Now that I found which dose what ... it's time to disect one of these cables to see if a diode has been used or not .

I'll have to check on australian law , but an item that has a feature enabled , yet cannot be used due to the required component not being supplied with it , or made available upon request when the part number is known (02415R) , is deemed as being of an unsalebale quality .

They could be peeved off bunnies if thats correct .

----

We bought a vacuum cleaner once from miter10 ... just for the workshop .

It stated the head unit was not to be sold in australia ???

What the hell would have been the point I ask ... now I see why it was not in the box ... I though we got fiddled ... well that sucks ... lol

A month later after I made a complaint and requested the part , and quoted the very law that covers such problems ... I got a phone call asking me if I was a lawyer ... no I said , but I know more than they do and I'll stick to my guns till they hand the part over .

The part arrived the next week ... not 1 unit , not 2 units , but 3 complete head unit packages , with an apology .

----

As for trying some cables at the local tandy / dick smith / radioshack ... it should not cause any problems because they usually only supply what is available in the main stream market .

It is highly unlikely for them to sell those cheap and dodgy cables as seen in ebay , which could represent issues .

My next though is on frequency outputs , in relation to plasma screens that run at 100mhz , and how this might be affected .
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    I had the same prob and I bought a 7 pin S video to 3RCA cable (something similar to the one on the figure) Name:  41-oprCyfeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 50931
Size:  10.2 KB. It half serves the purpose. I can see the images but not audio. Is it something wrong with the cable or the TV or is there any settings that I should setup to get the audio to TV?

some advise is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote