VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am getting closer on this and encoded in another way using Total Video Converter, the resulting is 3 MPG files from my AVI file. The process only took about an hour or so (compared to 5 hours using AVI2DVD and HC).
    I am not positive if using TVC is the right path for me.

I was reading in the forums but didn't find specific answers.

1. Am I better off converting this way using TVC (about an hour) to burn my MPG files onto DVD, if so what would be best option. I think that Total Video Converter burns also but not sure how it works if there are a couple MPG files (don't have the DVD media right now)

2. Am I better off using the long way using AVI2DVD and HC (5 hours) and burn the resulting VIDEO_TS folder ?

I am reading a lot and understanding a bit better, but obviously I need help here and there. :P :P

Thanks,
    Resulting files using Total Video Converter:
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well , super would have been better all in one package when it comes to conversion to mpeg2 with ac3 audio .

So you now have to author those mpegs using a dvd authoring package ... hopefully the files will be acceptable in format , if not , you might need to reconvert the original file again .

It will depend on which product you have to do this .

Dvdauthorgui , ifoedit , muxman , rejig all required the mpegs to be demuxed into seperate video and audio sources .

Tmpgenc / dvdlab / uleadvideo studio / nero vision should beable to take those mpegs , unless the conversion process from tvc and output files are not compliant in some form or another .

The time it takes to perform a particular function depends on many things ... pc specs , os , program used ... its varied and extremely rare to get two pc's that match down the line .

2: might have been the way , it was slow , but an automated process ... should have been a log ... may have indicated dual pass encoding which would have made it run a long time .

Imgburn would take care of your burning needs ... and be reliable .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So based on your feedback on item2, you think that following the first process I did is better, is that because the process (even though is longer) gives me the VIDEO_TS folder and files needed to straight burn a DVD ?

Lastly, yes, the HCenc did 2 passes, each took more than an hour. Is that dual pass a must or I can control that? When I selected HCenc in Dvi2Dvd this setting is not editable to make it 1, see screenshot and thanks for the reply, wondering if I should've tried a different encoder other than HCenc, no experiences at all on this whole process, just learning as I go with the help from all of you guys:

Quote Quote  
  4. HCEnc is a 2-pass encoder. Nothing you can do about it. For a good, free 1-pass encode try QuEnc.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs

So you now have to author those mpegs using a dvd authoring package ... hopefully the files will be acceptable in format , if not , you might need to reconvert the original file again .

So, when files are in MPG format you must author them BEFORE you can burn a DVD, is that what you meant ?

If that's true that will add another process to using Total Video Converter and instead I'd just use the "long" way as described previously.
    Quote Quote