VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, I would not even have gotten this far without all of your help so THANK YOU!

I have a layer 3 MPEG that plays fine on my PC. I burned it using ULEAD DVD Movie Factory (not by choice but I cannot find my copy of Nero) it burned but the audio is about 2 seconds off. I checked avicodec and it says V codec name unknown A.1 codec name mpeg layer 3 and F info "M encoder 2:1.0" Not even sure what this means but trying to get you as much info as possible. Type of file in explorer just calls it a "video clip"

I just checked the audio compression settings and it says LPCM audio. There is an option for MPEG audio. Should I burn using this one?

SO is there any way to burn this without the audio getting un-synched?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try checking the original file with Gspot 2.70 and see if it has MP3 VBR audio. That could be the cause of your sync problems. If so, you would be better off to convert the audio to CBR. Or, if your converter can accept WAV audio, just extract it with VirtualDub Mod and use the WAV. Here's one guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic280779.html

You can correct the sync error most times, but it's a lot easier to prevent it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! Not sure how to read all this but here is what it says:

Video: Codec,FMP4 But it says codec not installed which is odd because it is and I can see video

Audio: Codec MPEG 1 layer 3 48000 htz 135 kb/sec

Audio Frames - Alligend on interleaves

I also tried using TMPGenc and that did not recognize the file
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try changing the 4cc of the FMP4 to Divx or maybe better, Xvid, with AVI FourCC Code Changer and TMPGEnc may recognize it. It's probably playing back using those codecs anyway. And in Gspot, you want to look to the audio section on the lower left and see if the green 'VBR' is lit.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Try checking the original file with Gspot 2.70 and see if it has MP3 VBR audio. That could be the cause of your sync problems. If so, you would be better off to convert the audio to CBR. Or, if your converter can accept WAV audio, just extract it with VirtualDub Mod and use the WAV. Here's one guide: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic280779.html

You can correct the sync error most times, but it's a lot easier to prevent it.
    You NAILED it. It was this VBR thing. What the heck is that?

Anyway, I saved audio as a wav then re-integrated it and saved the whole 2 hour file. But is there any way to save via virtualdub as something other than a full .avi? The file was like 110 gigs!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VBR (Variable Bitrate) The problem with VBR is that the encoders seem to have a hard time reading the length of the audio file and error out. This happens with most MPEG encoders and VBR. MP3 VBR is very common with Xvids and Divx files off the net and is used to save a little space. I find it's worth checking in Gspot before trying to encode. Some converters like ConvertXToDVD can handle most VBR. But I would rather not wait a few hours till it encoded to MPEG to find out I have a problem. When you open a VBR file in VDM, it will tell you immediately that there is a problem.

After you save out the audio with VDM in WAV format, you can mux or 'Add' it back in as a WAV, then either use that with the video or have VDM convert it to MP3 CBR audio. (I use Lame MP3 for that as it has more options than the default MP3 encoder.) If your encoder accepts WAV, then just use that and avoid further quality loss by re-encoding.

If your encoder permits elemental streams (Separate video and audio files), then you don't have to mux it. Just select the original video and the new WAV for the audio. TMPGEnc encoder can use elemental streams, many others, too.

When you mux the audio and video together in VDM, select 'Direct stream copy' for the video and audio. You are not changing or encoding then, just combining the new audio file with the original video file. The WAV will be rather large, but it's only a temp file, you can delete it after the encode to MPEG is successful. Direct stream copy only takes a few minutes. If you select 'Full processing' which is the default, and leave the other settings at default, you will have a very large raw AVI file. You are only using VDM for demuxing and muxing the audio to the video file. No encoding.

I hope that's not too much to absorb. But once you do it and understand it, it's easy enough.
    Quote Quote