VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've decided to try using bin/cue for my VCD because my friend gave me a CD with a bin/cue movie on it and I burned it as VCD and this works on my DVD Player perfectly, no double CD's and no poor quality or anything. I've tried to make my other movies bin/cue with MagicISO and PowerISO. When I open my friends bin/cue it has all the VCD files like EXT and MPEGAV etc but when I convert mine it just shows the movie.avi as what is in the bin/cue when I open with Power/Magic-ISO.
    So I was wondering if I'm doing anything wrong here, I have the programs... And at the moment I'm converting the movie.avi to bin/cue then using Nero to burn this image to a CD.

If you can't understand what I mean just ask, It's not that I can't speak English, just that it's hard explaining these things with all the jargon.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bin/cue is disc image (bin is main data file, cue is support text file). To make a VCD in bin/cue form you have to:
    a)re-encode your avi into VCD-compliant MPEG1 file (using an MPEG encoder like TMPGEnc etc.),
    b)author VCD using e.g. VCDEasy application (it will produce bin/cue for burning).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmm... The mpg file after I convert is is close to a gig, but my friends movie as a bin/cue is about 756 meg.
    Does this mean my friends movie is under 80 minutes?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Choppa
    And at the moment I'm converting the movie.avi to bin/cue then using Nero to burn this image to a CD.

If you can't understand what I mean just ask, It's not that I can't speak English, just that it's hard explaining these things with all the jargon.

Thank you.
    How do you convert AVI to bin/cue?
    Its like converting chocolate into its tinfoil wrapper - they have as much in common as the box they both were in...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Choppa
    Hmm... The mpg file after I convert is is close to a gig, but my friends movie as a bin/cue is about 756 meg.
    Does this mean my friends movie is under 80 minutes?
    Yes, it's close to limit for a CDR with standard VCD bitrate (1150kbps for video stream; use VCD template in encoder). It's a bit more (in MB) than on data CD (different file system). There are also non-standard KVCD encoding templates for 2 hours per CDR but with not as good quality and compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 2 Hours per CD sounds good, how could I do this? Is there any good program to use? And when you say not as good quality do you mean the quality is greatly decreased?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You still use TMPGEnc, but a special (KVCD) template instead of the regular VCD template. However, I advise against using it, as it will look like crap and will be out of specifications, so playback may be hit and miss.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link to KVCD templates:
    http://kvcd.net/dvd-models.html
    You have to click on the resolution you want (in New Zealand I'm guessing you'll want 352x288) and save it to a file and then load that into TMPGenc before encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The simplest way to create (X)VCDs on a Windows machine is EazyVCD (the older version is free). As a previous poster said, compatibility with players is a bit of a hit or miss affair once you create these off-standard discs. That said, it's been my experience that, the cheaper the player, the more formats it will play. My $19 Coby plays XVCDs without a complaint, but my Sony pukes on 'em. Give it a shot and see if the output is acceptable to your tastes.

If you only need to watch these on a computer, not a standalone player, then DivX or h.264 are good choices (much higher quality for a given filesize).
    Quote Quote  
  10. TMPEnc seems good, I've spent like a day converting to mpg to see what will be the best with the file size closet to 600meg.
    At the moment I'm using the KVCD template and it seems alright quality, the sound is fine though.
    I estimate it will end up around 600meg because it's about 30% and the file is about 200meg so probably a bit over 600meg but i'll try that.
    Thanks for all your help guys.
    Quote Quote