hi,

please help

need region free hack for "samsung dvd player p171"

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I also need this hack. I have tried the Samsung hacks in the DVD hacks section, but I am still unable to play my region 1 discs. In other words, the hack listed for the P171 didn't work for me and I would like to know if I'm doing something wrong.

I followed the instructions to the letter and the player comes up with the region display in the top left corner, I then press 'open' on the player and then 'standby' on the remote, but the region 1 disc still comes up with the "Cannot play this disc, please check the regional coding"

If anyone can offer any help I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Stu
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Samsung Support
    This hack was applied for the player with Region code = 1 (US, Canada). To hack a player with another Region code, use the following codes on step 3:

Region 1 (US, Canada) - 29334
    Region 2 (Europe, Middle East, Japan) - 38767
    Region 3 (South East Asia, Hong Kong) - 56732
    Region 4 (South America, Oceania) - 76884
    Region 5 (Russia, India) - 53814
    Region 6 (China) - 24462

1. Turn the player on, make sure there's no disc in the tray
    2. Press SUBTITLE button on the remote
    3. Enter 29334 on the remote, Region code will appear on the screen
    4. Press 9 for multizone (or 1 for Region 1, 2 for Region 2, etc...)
    5. Press SUBTITLE button on the remote
    6. Turn the player off (then turn it on)
    7. Enjoy your multizone player
    Worked perfectly!! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have the same problem, my Region 2 Samsung P171 won´t let me play a Region 1 DVD even when I have changed the zone succesfully. I´ve followed ALL the steps above with the right code, the "2" appears on screen, I changed it into a "9" for multizone or even for a "1" for Region 1, then I insert my DVD (region 1) and it says it won´t play the disc because of the regional coding.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are sometimes differences between players used in different regions preventing the codes from working. It is often common for newer versions of an existing player to have the firmware locked to prevent the codes from working.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The region 1 thing could be one of several different things. Certain region 1 discs cannot be played at all except on players that are set for region 1. Region free won't work on these discs because they are made in a sneaky way to prevent region free players from playing them. Such discs will never play on players set to region free mode. Region 9 is not multizone unless Samsung is using weird terminology. I've only seen multizone referred to as region 0 in the past. Finally, many models change slightly only months after they are released and there are chip and firmware differences and "hacks" don't work anymore as a result of these changes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It works by updating the firmware first as told in the latest post of the DVD hack by totalfreedom75.

I updated my firmware from the Samsung official page and then applied the hack as it is, and it worked perfectly. Hope this helps...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I just today updated the firmware on my Samsung DVD-P171 DVD player and the hack that you described does not work. I tried the European and the USA hack codes but I never saw the region code on the screen after I entered a code. Has Samsung closed this hack? Is there another? Is there another region hack code that I should try? I even tried the alternate code that was given later but no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stulaw
    Originally Posted by Samsung Support
    This hack was applied for the player with Region code = 1 (US, Canada). To hack a player with another Region code, use the following codes on step 3:

Region 1 (US, Canada) - 29334
    Region 2 (Europe, Middle East, Japan) - 38767
    Region 3 (South East Asia, Hong Kong) - 56732
    Region 4 (South America, Oceania) - 76884
    Region 5 (Russia, India) - 53814
    Region 6 (China) - 24462

1. Turn the player on, make sure there's no disc in the tray
    3. Enter 29334 on the remote, Region code will appear on the screen
    4. Press 9 for multizone (or 1 for Region 1, 2 for Region 2, etc...)
    6. Turn the player off (then turn it on)
    7. Enjoy your multizone player
    Worked perfectly!! Thanks!
    Yes. This hack works but only after you have upgraded the firmware. Mine was Australian-made (region 4). However, I noted that my player won't play a VCD. As I did not have any VCDs with me to play before I made any changes to my DVD player, I am not sure if this was the side-effect of the firmware upgrade or the hack. Now, when I insert a VCD, it gives the following message: "This disc cannot be played. Please check the disc."

Could anyone verify this?

I changed the region codes from 1 to 9 and even 0 but it still won't play VCDs. Can anyone suggest a fix?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, How can you updated the firmware? I have download the ZIP file from Samsung website, it has only one file "NP7CA.rom" , what you'll after that???

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The instructions for the firmware update are in the user manual.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi blackfox1234,

Were you able to, by any chance, play a VCD on the P-171 before you updated the firmware? Can it play such discs after the firmware update?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a zone 4 player (australian like BmZ) and was just wondering what version of firmware you need to upgrade too before you do the multizone codes. Do you use the firmware updrade from the Samsung Australian site (ver.0.0706073) or the upgrade from the international download site which has ver.1? Also, is there any way to see what firmware your player is currently running?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bcom77,

I don't know what firmware mine had when I bought it (1st week Nov 2007) but I later learned that there was a way to view your firmware though I was not aware of this back then. Simply press the INFO button on the remote after opening the tray (page 28 of the user manual). The hack posted above did not work until I upgraded the firmware downloaded from the Samsung Australian website (ver.0.0706073).

Lately, a new firmware was posted (build date : 2008-01-11 DVD-P171/XSA FIRMWARE AUSTRALIA) but it looks like the same one posted last Nov 2007 since they have the same MD5 checksum.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blackfox1234
    Hi, How can you updated the firmware? I have download the ZIP file from Samsung website, it has only one file "NP7CA.rom" , what you'll after that???

Thanks
    I have bought a new one and with the original firm it doesn't play svcd, and with the update it won't play either..

crossh
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    crossh - Please note that some DVD players won't play VCD or SVCD at all because of the firmware. Region free hacks won't fix this problem. It requires new firmware that supports the format (VCD and SVCD). Probably your DVD player will never play SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The manual and the specs only list VCD support. As noted above, it doesn't support SVCD.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, THIS didn't work with my player.

got the same one and even installed a new firmware.
    did everything you said:

"1. Turn the player on, make sure there's no disc in the tray
    3. Enter 29334 on the remote, Region code will appear on the screen"

THE REGION CODE DIDN'T APPEAR (just said NO DISK again and again)

"4. Press 9 for multizone (or 1 for Region 1, 2 for Region 2, etc...)
    6. Turn the player off (then turn it on)"

DIDN'T WORK!
    any other ideas?
    cheers
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think you should download the user manual and firmware upgrade at samsung website, then unzip the file and burn it onto a disc. The usage of the disc has been shown on the user manual. This step has to be finished before start hacking the region code.

For hacking the region code, I think you also have to try other number for other region as '29334' is only for US region. As in my case, I tried '76884' for mine one. So you better try others until there's a number (should be the region code) shown on the top left hand corner of your TV. Then you can keep going your process.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, I DID install a new firmware.
    I did enter ALL codes and the only think that appears is the words NO DISK!

I am desperate...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can't take you seriously with a user name like that.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made the newest update but I lost the Scart option on video output. why?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used this hack and it worked
    My DVD player was a zone 4, but now is a Zone 0 (multizone)
    The exact list of things to change didnt work, however, I just mucked around with the same buttons (subtitle) and it worked!
    THANKS EVERYONE!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I don't think fgermany is still looking for a solution, but just to add my experience, I used the code 57538 using the 'subtitle' button hack and it worked. THe other methods didn't work for my player.
    Quote Quote