VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maiden
    Could someone show me how to split and compress my raw dv file as well? I have winRAR on my computer, but I've tried the "compress and e-mail" "archive file" options millions of times - they're just too big and either don't want to attach to the e-mail or the e-mail doesn't successfully send to the required recipients at all.
    Anyone? If I could get this done, I could at least e-mail a part of the file to anyone here and (hopefully) my issue will be resolved quickly. I think my descriptions and info aren't enough to get through this problem.

(I'll stop being a nuisance now. )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much! I'll be sending the raw dv download to two of you now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Send me a link. I'll have a look.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Maiden,

Got your email, AND your link (BTW, please don't email something that huge again unless asked, it bogs down my system terrible).

I am able to see it as "RAW DV" and convert to MOV or AVI.

Problem is, it really is corrupt. Or at least it leads you to think it is, given the "usual" settings.

You need to right now get back to your photographer and have them give you the EXACT settings they used. Have them WRITE THEM DOWN. EVERY MINISCULE DETAIL. Then get back to us with that info.

I have a feeling that you've got a file that should be DVCPro50 or something similar (different subsampling, different blocksize?, different A+V sector interleaving), but since it isn't named specifically and since it isn't contained in a usual multimedia container, it can't explicitly and automatically tell a decoder/player/editor how to work with it correctly. Thus the "Random Blocks of Colors" and the "Choppy Audio". Obviously something is there, it's just now a matter of doing some detective work (possibly quite a bit) to get it to something recognizable.

IMHO, the photog should be in deep trouble at this point and they better bend over backwards to help you...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i threw everything i have at it and nothing will accept it or identify it as a video file. even AVID Express Pro HD which will use rawDV as input said no go it's not a movie file.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Maiden,

Got your email, AND your link (BTW, please don't email something that huge again unless asked, it bogs down my system terrible).

Problem is, it really is corrupt. Or at least it leads you to think it is, given the "usual" settings.

You need to right now get back to your photographer and have them give you the EXACT settings they used. Have them WRITE THEM DOWN. EVERY MINISCULE DETAIL. Then get back to us with that info.

I have a feeling that you've got a file that should be DVCPro50 or something similar (different subsampling, different blocksize?, different A+V sector interleaving), but since it isn't named specifically and since it isn't contained in a usual multimedia container, it can't explicitly and automatically tell a decoder/player/editor how to work with it correctly. Thus the "Random Blocks of Colors" and the "Choppy Audio". Obviously something is there, it's just now a matter of doing some detective work (possibly quite a bit) to get it to something recognizable.

IMHO, the photog should be in deep trouble at this point and they better bend over backwards to help you...

Scott
    Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know that. Thank you for telling me (and I hope your system is okay!).

So it all leads back to the photographer, huh? *sigh* I'll see what I can do. I'm hoping he still remembers the settings and stuff in mind or at least have them down - seeing as we shot the footage back around June 12 and 13.

So your saying that if I get all the meticulous information about the footage, there could be someway we could turn the file around into a recognizable format?

When you converted it into a Mov or Avi file, did the video/audio come back clearly, or was it still corrupt?

Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by aedipuss
    i threw everything i have at it and nothing will accept it or identify it as a video file. even AVID Express Pro HD which will use rawDV as input said no go it's not a movie file.
    Yeah, I think your having the same issue as Cornucopia had.

Here is the download link if anyone else wants to take a shot at it: http://www.divshare.com/download/1061874-53b
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia is quite right...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maiden,

Scott
    Thank you for your help again.

This is what really happened:

We shot the movie on the Panasonic HVX 200 as 1080i60 High Definition. We recorded the footage on a Firestore 100 external hardrive, and the hardrive has two settings. One is called P2 and the other one is called RAW DV. The photographer made a mistake of setting the hardrive to RAW DV. The file you've seen is an exact clip from that RAW DV batch. The only thing that we know is RAW DV is DV without any codec. This is all the technical information that we have. High Definition, HD1080i60 on the camera, and recorded as RAW DV.

SOS.

Thank you again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing that has bothered me about this thread from the beginning is the slow delivery of real information. When the HVX-200 was mentioned it made no sense that that camera would be used to shoot normal DV format or that the "photographer" would output RawDV.

I think you should have gotten your facts straight at the beginning before asking for help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess my assumption from the beginning was to simply state my problem in hopes of a quick and easy solution out of this mess. I didn't realize that my issue would be in such a complicated situation.

I also stated in my first post that I would give out such information if anyone needed anything from the start before giving me any suggestive solutions.

But I guess I should've done that from the beginning.

I apologize. I hope that there IS a way for me to get out of this mess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you need to put a call in to Panasonic (makers of the HVX200) or FocusEnhancements (makers of the Firestore), or both and tell them your problems. They would have had more troubleshooting experience for this particular problem than most people here (myself included).

One clue about what to try: you mentioned that you were shooting 1080, but shooting DV. If both statements are "true", then you must have actually been recording DVCPro100, and for some reason the RAW DV stream didn't retain all the pertinent parameters. This would explain the "corrupt" look and sound with assumed "normal" outcome.

On this and most boards, better & quicker solutions come from more exhaustive and detailed explanations of problems/questions.

Your photog also needs to learn about how to use and save HVX's "camera presets", which IIRC include shooting mode and fileformat.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you need to put a call in to Panasonic (makers of the HVX200) or FocusEnhancements (makers of the Firestore), or both and tell them your problems. They would have had more troubleshooting experience for this particular problem than most people here (myself included).

One clue about what to try: you mentioned that you were shooting 1080, but shooting DV. If both statements are "true", then you must have actually been recording DVCPro100, and for some reason the RAW DV stream didn't retain all the pertinent parameters. This would explain the "corrupt" look and sound with assumed "normal" outcome.

On this and most boards, better & quicker solutions come from more exhaustive and detailed explanations of problems/questions.

Your photog also needs to learn about how to use and save HVX's "camera presets", which IIRC include shooting mode and fileformat.

Scott
    Okay. I'll try giving Panasonic a call about the issue sometime tomorrow (I hope they have a customer service or something).

If this fails, I don't know what I'll do..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it does seem to have been recorded at 60fps. i extracted the audio and after doubling the speed of playback came up with this.

still no luck with the video.

maiden2.wav
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not a usable .mxf file even though it should be if it were DVCPro100. doesn't seem to have the mxf wrapper even though the video and audio have been combined. not big enough either as a 1 sec. dvcpro100 file is about 50mb and at 60fps this seems to be about 5 sec. so it should have been 250mb not 30mb.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, at least this thread is good at demonstrating the talents of a lot of smart people. Great info regardless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I called both Panasonic and FocusEnhancements. Panasonic couldn't relate to such an issue, so they couldn't help me, but FocusEnhancements said they'd get back to me if they found any software that deals with my kind of problem. So far, I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Someone was kind enough to let me know how to make my RAW DV video file in a better position for sampling. Maybe if you guys viewed the video file below, you'd find something that could hopefully help me with this annoying issue.

RAW DV file download: http://www.divshare.com/download/1084037-029

Thank you so much for your help.

Maiden
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok now gspot can identify the file as - File Type: Raw DV - IEC 61834 (.DV)

i can import it to avid express pro HD, but the file is still a mess and unusable. still just the colored blocks and distorted sound.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keep pressing on Focus for help. They know the issues.

This sounds like an operator error to me. DVCProHD should result in an MXF file. MXF files themselves are a world of horror as well as documented here. You need specific support for the HVX-200 in your edit system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MXF
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem.
    I used cannopus procoder to convert the dv file and it did well with the video, but the audio is corrupted. It sounds like aedipuss sample. Tried to import the audio directly to protools and in the preview the sound was the same. so now I'm not sure if the dv file has a problem or if it is a conversion problem....
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, there is a "raw DV" format. It is as has been described, the raw data directly from the camera without any wrappers around it. It is the default format when you are using the Kino video editor in Linux to capture data from your camera.

I know this because I was in the same shoes as TOP. I captured data in Linux using Kino and used the default format and created a whole bunch of "raw DV" files. (You can also tell Kino to create dv-avi type 1, type 2, and Quicktime DV formats when you import.) When I first did this, it seemed best to use the "native" format, rather than put some wrappers around the video and create an AVI format.

Now it's a year or so later and I want to use a Windows-based video editor, and none of them seem to support using raw DV. So I found myself in exactly the same situation as TOP.

Here's what I did:

I still have a running copy of Linux and a copy of Kino. That means that I have dvgrab, which is the underlying tool that Kino uses to grab data from your camcorder and store it in a dv/dv-avi/qt-avi file. You can tell that command to read from a file and store the results in a file in a format of your choosing.

dvgrab -f [dv1|dv2] -I <filename>

(dv1 saves it as dv-avi type 1, and dv2 saves it as dv-avi type 2.) Dv-avi type 1 saves the result as dvgrab-001.avi. I then move that to the right filename. (The latter part is kind of lame, but there doesn't seem to be an option to change the filename.)

I realize TOP has probably long since moved on to other problems. This post is for anyone else reading this.

I know it means you have to load Linux somewhere, but it IS free.
    Quote Quote