FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maiden
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Maiden,
    1. Open .dv in QT
    2. "Export" [Movie to Quicktime Movie]
    3. Settings: Video=Apple DV/DVCPro NTSC (assuming you're US), Best qual, 29.97fps, Audio=None (uncompressed), 16bit, 48kHz (probably), stereo
    4. If "Allow Transcoding" isn't greyed out--Make sure Check is Marked.

That should be it.

(Just tried it on my system, worked for me. I'm a little worried that you couldn't see the movie in QT the 1st time, as my older copy could see a .dv just fine, even in Windows--maybe there are some other troubles we don't know about)

Scott
    Thank you so much! I'll try it out and see if it works.

Hmm..that's weird. I've tried to play the dv file many times with quicktime player on both my Windows PC and Mac OS - both of them end up opening the file as a video with a bunch of mixed colors and messed up audio. I wonder what's wrong..

If you didn't see the screencap from earlier, this is how a dv video file opens up on QT player on my Windows PC (Mac is the same as well):

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3961/screenshotyj7.png

Is there any information that you need to know about this? Maybe there's something I missed that's vital to the solution of this problem.
    Okay..I've encountered a few problems (sorry!):

1. You said to input "Apple DV/DVCPro NTSC". I only found "DV/DVCPro NTSC" without the "apple" part. Should I use that - and is it the same thing as the one with the "apple" part, or..?

Available "Apple" choices:

Apple Intermediate Codec
    Apple Pixlet Video
    Apple VC H.263

2. I went to the Audio (sound) section and could not find a selection where you could choose "none (uncompressed) thing anywhere. Am I supposed to chose this from the "format" list?

Formats available (well, at least for me):

Linear PCM
    A - Law 2:1
    AAC
    AMR Narrowband
    Apple Lossless
    IMA 4:1
    MACE 3:1
    MACE 6:1
    QDesign Music 2
    Qualcomm PureVoice
    u-Law 2:1

3. In QuickTime Pro, the "Allow Transcoding" selection is greyed out. Is that a bad thing? Is it also really important or just an optional thing to have? Is there anyway for me to "ungrey" the selection? ^^;

That's all I'm having trouble with in QT for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how big is the file? any way you could host a portion - 5 or 10 mb - of it for examination? (winrar can split large files) usenet posting would also work. since it's just a stream it shouldn't matter if you cut it up.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    how big is the file? any way you could host a portion - 5 or 10 mb - of it for examination? (winrar can split large files) usenet posting would also work. since it's just a stream it shouldn't matter if you cut it up.
    Hmm..do you think I could e-mail a file to you? That's probably the easiet way to view the issue. I could also send a file to anyone else who is interested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here, let me try posting one file here. (I'm on my Windows PC)

20070612-211036h01.dv.dv
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Our forum has a 2MB file upload limit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are the downloads available for Mac OS as well or just for windows?
    I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Oh..well I could e-mail it to anyone who is willing to look at it for me. Someone might know soemthing that I don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Oh..well I could e-mail it to anyone who is willing to look at it for me. Someone might know soemthing that I don't.
    Please..I'm seriously desperate here. I've had this problem for over two weeks now, and I'd really like someone to take a look at it for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you never said how big it is, but if you can cut an under 10mb hunk off of it i'm at aedipuss@hotmail(dot)com
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Please..I'm seriously desperate here. I've had this problem for over two weeks now, and I'd really like someone to take a look at it for me.
    Did you erase the Firestore and this is all you have? I think the Firestore can output to either Windows DV-AVI or Mac Quicktime.

If you are "seriously desperate" in such a way you can part with some $, then consult a local Mac or Win edit house. They have seen it all twenty times.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you never said how big it is, but if you can cut an under 10mb hunk off of it i'm at aedipuss@hotmail(dot)com
    Oh, I'm sorry. The dv file that I'm examining is 31.5 MB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a 9 second file?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have winrar you can use it to compress and split up the file into parts of whatever size you choose. free trial available i believe.
    http://www.rarlab.com/index.htm

31.5MB is about 10 seconds of dv. sound about right?
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have winrar you can use it to compress and split up the file into parts of whatever size you choose. free trial available i believe.

Okay, I've sent it to you in a WinRAR format, so it should open with you. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you very very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Okay, I've sent it to you in a WinRAR format, so it should open with you. Let me know how it goes.

Thank you very very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Oh, I just realized that the message didn't send..I'll go ahead and try resending it now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay..I think things are getting a bit clearer for me. From what I understand right now, the RAW DV video files I have are just completely raw footage with absolutely no codec on them. RAW DV actually differs from a REGULAR DV video file, which - as most know - probably contains some type of codec on it. I think I am unable to convert my RAW DV video files into MPEG, MOV, or anything else for that matter because I must convert it into a regular DV video file first.

Then from there, I would be able to convert the regular DV format into a Quicktime movie, MPEG video, and the like.

So..my questions are as follows:

1. Does anyone know of any programs that are able to convert RAW DV files into just plain DV? I'm sure there are some out there..please list all the possible ones! I'll even look in the video converters page that this forum has. Maybe that'll help

2. Does anyone have MSN messenger or something of the like? I know response here tends to get a bit slow ^^;..and if anyone is willing to help me..I could talk with you on MSN messenger and hopefully get the issue resolved quickly. E-mail would be good too, I guess. Please let me know.

3. Aedipuss, did you ever get my e-mail?

Please help! Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no nothing has shown up yet at my email. but email with attachments can take up to 2 days to come together at their destination, so there is still hope.

you are not quite at the point of understanding raw dv yet. all dv cameras collect the "raw" video data from the sensors and digitally process it using a codec (codec is short for encoder/decoder) before it is sent downstream. on tape it is raw encoded video and audio. from the camera it is "USUALLY" captured from raw DV to a computer into a container called avi (avi -audio video interleave : just a general term not a format/codec). it is still the raw DV but arranged for easier processing. what you may have was grabbed from the camera without the avi container. same exact video file, but nothing "knows" how to deal with it because it wasn't packaged with proper directions.

the best solution would be for the fool who transferred it to raw DV to try again and transfer it to DVavi type II this time. there don't seem to be any windows apps that will do the job. he should at least still have the original tape and it is a simple job to capture your 10 second video to a format you would be able to use.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay..I think things are getting a bit clearer for me. From what I understand right now, the RAW DV video files I have are just completely raw footage with absolutely no codec on them. RAW DV actually differs from a REGULAR DV video file, which - as most know - probably contains some type of codec on it. I think I am unable to convert my RAW DV video files into MPEG, MOV, or anything else for that matter because I must convert it into a regular DV video file first.

Then from there, I would be able to convert the regular DV format into a Quicktime movie, MPEG video, and the like.

1. Does anyone know of any programs that are able to convert RAW DV files into just plain DV? I'm sure there are some out there..please list all the possible ones! I'll even look in the video converters page that this forum has. Maybe that'll help

2. Does anyone have MSN messenger or something of the like? I know response here tends to get a bit slow ^^;..and if anyone is willing to help me..I could talk with you on MSN messenger and hopefully get the issue resolved quickly. E-mail would be good too, I guess. Please let me know.

RawDV is the DV stream as it gets recorded to tape or as it is streamed over IEEE-1394. It lacks the AVI wrapper that allows Windows DirectShow to access it as a file. To DirectShow it looks like jibberish data. The data does represent encoded DV format. It just isn't in a wrapper that DirectShow knows how to access.

Same goes for Quicktime except Quicktime includes some limited conversion tools.

1. Yes the program DV Converter v2.3 I linked above is designed to bridge the gap between the various flavors of DV format file structure.
    http://www.baobab.net/softcs.htm

In the future, get your DV in DV-AVI or Quicktime wrappers. DV-AVI is the safest choice because Quicktime can convert it for Mac.

If you ever shoot in high def (DVCProHD) expect major issues with MXF files. They have even worse compatibility issues than DV. Make sure the editing program supports the HVR-200 and the paticular Focus recorder's firmware version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey edDV... IIRC dv converter 2.3 can go from DVavi type I&II to DVraw but not the other way.

could be wrong...
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I missed that, but I'd give it a try anyway.

"DV Converter and .dv, .dif, .dvsd

DV Converter can extract and save the embedded timecode in .dv (QuickTime raw DV), .dif (Fast dv.NOW, Purple etc.) and .dvsd (DVMaster Pro). It can also convert DV avi files to the .dv .dvsd .dif format, making it possible to move data across platforms to Macintosh systems."
    http://www.baobab.net/dvconvinfo.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no nothing has shown up yet at my email. but email with attachments can take up to 2 days to come together at their destination, so there is still hope.

you are not quite at the point of understanding raw dv yet. all dv cameras collect the "raw" video data from the sensors and digitally process it using a codec (codec is short for encoder/decoder) before it is sent downstream. on tape it is raw encoded video and audio. from the camera it is "USUALLY" captured from raw DV to a computer into a container called avi (avi -audio video interleave : just a general term not a format/codec). it is still the raw DV but arranged for easier processing. what you may have was grabbed from the camera without the avi container. same exact video file, but nothing "knows" how to deal with it because it wasn't packaged with proper directions.

the best solution would be for the fool who transferred it to raw DV to try again and transfer it to DVavi type II this time. there don't seem to be any windows apps that will do the job. he should at least still have the original tape and it is a simple job to capture your 10 second video to a format you would be able to use.
    Oh, I never knew that. Heh, I must've gotten things confused then.

I think I understand now..so what my photographer probably did was pull out the videos in RAW DV format without pushing it to some format that is recognizeable with any application. So..is it really possible for him to transfer it to an AVI type 2 file even after we've saved the RAW DV videos from the camera to the computer? Hm..I'll see if I can check it out.

But however *points out* this isn't the only DV file I have..I have many more saved, and some of them are much MUCH longer than 10 seconds. Would your method still be able to work?

I'll try sending it again..earlier today, I tried sending the file to you, but I got an error message stating that the e-mail wasn't sent. Maybe this error occured again, so I'll try one more time.

Thank you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh, Look what Google found.
    http://www.swreg.org/soft_shop/2791/shopscr2.shtml

Seems like Firestore has the needed utility.

But it also looks like it isn't free.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/312289-REG/Focus_Enhancements_ASYF070515_Firesto...Converter.html

You can also buy it direct from Focus but I bet at least a lite vesion comes with the Firestore.
    http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=8
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

You're kind of mixing up terms here...

If you have a video stream, it's either a RAW (aka "containerless") stream or is multiplexed in a standard multimedia container file format (e.g.: QT/MOV, AVI, ASF/WMV, REAL, MKV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4/3GP, OGG). This is regardless of the presence or lack of compression (codec).

So, you could have a RAW uncompressed Planar RGB video stream, a RAW uncompressed YUV 4:2:2 stream, a RAW DV stream, etc.

But...THESE ARE RARE (unless somebody makes a big mistake).

Of all those, the RAW DV is the most common. Because of its ConsumerElectronics heritage, it is one of the few where a "RAW" stream is actually a multiplexed (Video+Audio+Metadata/Userdata) stream. It's possible others might, but I don't know of any.

If you "convert" from a RAW to a "Contained" multimedia file format, what should really happen is just that the multimedia container recognizes the type of stream, its parameters (including codec if any) and multiplexes/wraps the stream into its standard structure (with headers, padding, etc). It really shouldn't actually "convert" the stream itself, just contain it.
    That's what that "allow transcoding" thing is supposed to do. So if QT doesn't let you do that, it probably means that it's having to actually convert from one codec (or lack of) to another (with all its loss).

re: codecs
    Codecs are the algorithms that Compress/Decompress the audio or video streams. They're the processes that actually do the work. The stream itself is just compressed (a certain way, according to that particular codec's methods) or not. The stream doesn't contain the codec. The codec resides in an external program (or DLL/API/plugin). That's why you have to have already installed a codec to be able to recognize the structure/sequence/signature of a media stream.

So when you say "regular", I don't really know if you mean raw vs. contained, or dv vs. some other codec (or uncompressed).

If this thing is truly RAW uncompressed, Gspot ought to be able to tell you what it is, AND, you shouldn't really need a "codec" to read it, because NOTHING would be being decompressed, as it already would be stored that way.

However, given the sample file you tried to upload and its estimated bitrate (which nearly/basically matches DV bitrates), leads me to believe that it is DV of some sort and NOT raw uncompressed video.

BTW, LPCM is uncompressed/none in the choices.

Can you not see anything in QT (even before saving/exporting)?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Oh, I never knew that. Heh, I must've gotten things confused then.

I think I understand now..so what my photographer probably did was pull out the videos in RAW DV format without pushing it to some format that is recognizeable with any application. So..is it really possible for him to transfer it to an AVI type 2 file even after we've saved the RAW DV videos from the camera to the computer? Hm..I'll see if I can check it out.

But however *points out* this isn't the only DV file I have..I have many more saved, and some of them are much MUCH longer than 10 seconds. Would your method still be able to work?

I'll try sending it again..earlier today, I tried sending the file to you, but I got an error message stating that the e-mail wasn't sent. Maybe this error occured again, so I'll try one more time.

Thank you for your help.
    Nevermind on what I just said for the photographer thing..do you know of any programs (Mac OSX or Windows) that could transfer my copy RAW DV video files that are on my computer into an AVI Type 2 file? A program that could recognize RAW DV files and do this for me?

Because it's most likely my photographer erased all the footage off of the camera/tapes, and the only copies I have are the ones on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Nevermind on what I just said for the photographer thing..do you know of any programs (Mac OSX or Windows) that could transfer my copy RAW DV video files that are on my computer into an AVI Type 2 file? A program that could recognize RAW DV files and do this for me?

Because it's most likely my photographer erased all the footage off of the camera/tapes, and the only copies I have are the ones on my computer.
    He should have software to do the conversion or you can insist that he buy it at the above link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the blurb from the Firestore FS-100 for the HVX-200
    http://www.tvsdepot.com/product.php?id=105094&ref=nextag

"Nonlinear Editing System Compatibility

No matter which nonlinear editing (NLE) system you have, the FireStore FS-100 has you covered. When in DVCPRO HD or DVCPRO 50 mode, files are recorded to disk in P2 MXF format. When in DVCPRO/DV mode, files are recorded as RawDV, AVI Type 1, AVI Type 2, AVI Type 2 24p, Matrox AVI, Canopus AVI, QuickTime, QuickTime 24p, Avid OMF, Pinnacle AVI, or P2 MXF file formats. Simply connect the FireStore FS-100 to your Mac or PC editing system like a normal FireWire hard disk drive and you are instantly ready to edit -- no capturing, file transfer, or file conversion is required. Just shoot and edit."

Problem is he needed to choose a format before recording. It doesn't look like the conversion software is included with the FS-100.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, that's what I've been telling you: QT Pro (though you ought to do it in 2 steps Raw DV --> DV-QT/MOV, DV-QT/MOV --> DV-AVI).
    And QT Pro always exports DV-AVIs in Type 2 format. It doesn't understand type1 DV-AVIs (even though it understands raw DV which is basically type1 without the AVI header--weird huh??)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    Yes, that's what I've been telling you: QT Pro (though you ought to do it in 2 steps Raw DV --> DV-QT/MOV, DV-QT/MOV --> DV-AVI).
    And QT Pro always exports DV-AVIs in Type 2 format. It doesn't understand type1 DV-AVIs (even though it understands raw DV which is basically type1 without the AVI header--weird huh??)

Scott
    Oh, alright. Let me try this out.

The last post you made was rather confusing a bit. I'll read it over again and try to digest the information little by little. Maybe that'll clear things up for me a bit.

To answer your last question: No, I don't see anything at all in the video before I import/export in QT Pro. All I see is just a bunch of colors - nothing visual, like trees, sky, people, etc. Mixed up colors is all. When I open it up, all I see is colors, colors and colors!

Should I try sending the video file to you as well. Since you probably know more than I do, you would have a clue as to what's going on with this issue.

Here's a screenshot of the information I recieved after inputing the file in Gspot:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9328/screenshotwc1.png

I'll also be looking at that FS program as well..hope it's not too pricey or something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Maybe I missed that, but I'd give it a try anyway.

"DV Converter and .dv, .dif, .dvsd

DV Converter can extract and save the embedded timecode in .dv (QuickTime raw DV), .dif (Fast dv.NOW, Purple etc.) and .dvsd (DVMaster Pro). It can also convert DV avi files to the .dv .dvsd .dif format, making it possible to move data across platforms to Macintosh systems."
    http://www.baobab.net/dvconvinfo.html
    DV Converter seems to open only AVI files. How am I going to work with my video file if it is saved under extension ".dv"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone show me how to split and compress my raw dv file as well? I have winRAR on my computer, but I've tried the "compress and e-mail" "archive file" options millions of times - they're just too big and either don't want to attach to the e-mail or the e-mail doesn't successfully send to the required recipients at all.
    Quote Quote