VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have been recommended in the past to use ConvertXtoDVD for putting my rmvb video files on a DVD. I did get it and burned the DVD, but despite the aspec ratio that my tv has (16:9 and automatic) I cant get the entire picture on the screen. I believe the file is 16:9. I'm using a 4.7 GB DVD-R. At this point, I dont know if the problem is the DVD player, TV, encoding process, or file type in general. Ask away for more information if it will be helpful, I i will give you what I can.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    do you mean the picture is too big OR is it too small, does it touch the sides but not the top and bottom

convertx will pad the top & bottom of the video before resizing to make the video frame 720*480, to preserve the aspect ratio, and keep objects and people the correct shape. the screen is filled with the frame but the frame has some black bars

avi's can be any dimension, dvd video can only be ONE dimension, the 16:9 is a DAR display aspect ratio.

dvd frames must meet DVD standard

to fill the screen and NOT have black space one must start out with a 720*480 video frame.

most avi's do not come that way,

to get a filled DVD frame, when converting, requires doing custom CROPPING & resizing, something not available with convertX

also the display will depend on what your TV aspect/zoom settings are

when i set mine to aspect the dvd does NOT fill the complete screen ( even retail DVDs ) if i set to zoom one, its a perfect fill of the whole screen

usually I just watch them in the aspect setting, as my player is not an up converting player.

i'm in the market for a up converting player that is UltraDvix compatible, keeping my eye on the prices and shopping
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks alot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @TheWizard - the image on a DVD can be any dimension as well. The only parts of the DVD spec that are fixed when it comes to resolution are the video resolution, and the pixel aspect ratio. Within that, the image can be any size you want, and most widescreen movies do not fill a 16:9 screen from top to bottom, if the player and screen are set up correctly (something that doesn't seem to happen in the US)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most "wide screen" movies are not at 16:9 ratio (1.77) as is wide screen TV.
    They are anywhere from 1.77(rare) to 2.4. Most are 1.88 and up, that is why when played on wide screen TV there is a black strip on top and bottom of the picture.
    ( no matter what country)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    @TheWizard - the image on a DVD can be any dimension as well. The only parts of the DVD spec that are fixed when it comes to resolution are the video resolution, and the pixel aspect ratio. Within that, the image can be any size you want, and most widescreen movies do not fill a 16:9 screen from top to bottom, if the player and screen are set up correctly (something that doesn't seem to happen in the US)
    yes, isn't that what i said, convertX will resize till the width fills the frame then pad the top & bottom, of the frame so it meets dvd video spec.

the same thing that happens with using fitcd & cce or some other encoder, except that we have more control over the process

yes the video image is inside the frame and does not fill the frame

I never said it did.. even with retail, I said 'video frame' dvd video frame
    Quote Quote