VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I’ve read a bunch of different ways on how to burn mdf files onto disc media but how do you extract vob files from dvds made in the form of an mdf file? Is there a free program out there that will let me do this? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mount as a virtual dvd drive with daemon tools and you can copy the files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Mount as a virtual dvd drive with daemon tools and you can copy the files.
    thanks! that worked, well kind of. I did so and copied the files with dvd decrypter (cause it wouldnt' let me copy them manually) but I still couldn't open the 3rd and 4th vobs??!!! I can't figure out why. I had no problem opening up the first two. All of my movies were like this. It says the 3rd and 4th are copied but no player can open the vob up and I have no problems with playing video files because I have tons of different players for every extension possible. Any idea why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VOB files aren't meant to be played.
    Try extracting the mpg out of the VOBs with VOB2MPG.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    VOB files aren't meant to be played.
    Try extracting the mpg out of the VOBs with VOB2MPG.

/Mats
    maybe so, but why would i not be able to play the last 2 vobs? i usually just convert the .vob files into avi's, but none of the conversion software would even recognize it. i've never had this problem before with disc images, it only started when i first ran into the mdf format. I don't think it's going to work VOB2MPG, but I'll give it a shot. thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by uglijimus
    I don't think it's going to work VOB2MPG, but I'll give it a shot. thank you.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work with VOB2MPG - in which case it seems like the VOBs that refuse to play are somehow damaged.
    Have you burned the mdf to disk, to create the Video DVD? Did it play fine all the way thru?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Originally Posted by uglijimus
    I don't think it's going to work VOB2MPG, but I'll give it a shot. thank you.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work with VOB2MPG - in which case it seems like the VOBs that refuse to play are somehow damaged.
    Have you burned the mdf to disk, to create the Video DVD? Did it play fine all the way thru?

/Mats
    unfortunately i can't burn it to disc or else that's what I would do. My dvd rom won't recognize blank dvd media, but that's a different topic. However, when i did mount it to a virtual drive (DAemon tools) it played all the way through. I've read tons of posts on mdfs but most people are not trying to extract the vobs. But from what I gathered, the mdf is the main file and sometimes there is a md0 or a md1 inside the folder. These are usually much smaller than the mdf. In my case however, the mdf was around 2 gig and the other md0 was 1 gig which i thought was a little strange. Don't know if this anything to do with my problem. I'm thinking about getting an external DVD drive but it's going to be a big hassle to burn to a dvd, then extract the vobs from it. As far as the vobs being damaged, i wonder why only the last 2 vobs on both movies were damaged?? Too much of a coincidence I think...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mdf is just like an iso, but with the advantage that it can be split in chunks. Shouldn't affect the content at all.

/Mats
    Quote Quote