VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can you put a power point presentation on a writable cd and then show it on a dvd player?
    i just want to know . or can anyoe tell me. i want to make a photo thingy where you put music and pictures on a cd and then view it on the dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could put one on there, but only a computer would be able to play the PP. Or with a DVD, put it outside the VIDEO_TS folder, but still only for computer use. And they would need a PP viewer to play it back.

Or you could make a DVD or CD slide show. Some programs here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/photo-dvd-vcd There are also some guides for slide shows in our 'GUIDE' section to the upper left.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    CamStudio

Capture the Powerpoint slideshow as an avi and add audio within your favorite video editor such as Vegas or Videostudio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would play my laptop output to a DVD recorder.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Using special software capturing the PPT slideshow as VCD format,eg.MEPG-1,then you can play it on DVD player.
    Suggest you search "PPT to VCD" software.

Good day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are comfortable with creating slideshows in Powerpoint you can use Wondershare PPT2DVD http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/ to convert it to a DVD compatible format. I used it once (trial version) and didn't have any problems. However, the full version costs $99, so it may not be worth it unless you have several presentations to convert.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much.
    You friends give me so many choices, I appreciate all of that.
    But, my question is , can I create a DVD menu for my PowerPoint presentations? Can I use a DVD remote to control the playback such as " previous slide, next slide"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Create a video of your presentation with chapter stops for each slide. Use PGCEdit to add pauses at the end of the each chapter so the video doesn't proceed until you click next.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you seriously want to go from Powerpoint to DVD (which you would need to do if you wanted to use this on a settop player), you should look up my past suggestions (there's quite a bit).

A lot depends on HOW you want the final DVD to act:
    1. Auto-transitioning without user control (use most PPT-to-DVD converters or video-out to DVD recorder)
    2. User control with NO transitions/animations (get the defunct DVDxPoint, or export manually)
    3. User control WITH transitions/animations (the hardest-must do a number of export techniques and then assemble sections together in DVD Authoring app)

Good luck,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I like to use PowerPoint to make some fancy slide shows. And I hope to burn the PowerPoint slide shows to DVD with customized DVD menus.
    It think it would be amazing to put PowerPoint slide show on TV and share with my friends.

Can I control the playback just like what I do in PowerPoint ?

I've also searched in Google by " PowerPoint to DVD " .
    There are some tools which claim that they can do this.
    Camtasia from http://www.techsmith.com
    PPT2DVD from http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com
    DVD Presenter from http://www.sameshow.com/powerpoint-to-dvd.html
    Power DVD maker from http://www.prodvd.net

Have you tried these tools? Which is the best?
    I'm tired in testing all these tools,
    If someone can give me a right drection,
    I will appreciate very much.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried every converter that I can find to make my ppt presentations into dvd format that runs smoothly from a dvd player on a tv. Not a single one of them has worked. Unless someone has something new, which I doubt because I've searched all over the internet, there is no program that does what it claims to do. I would hope Microsoft eventually makes a converter that is compatible with PowerPoint.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, alot may depend on how you set up you presentations...

But honestly, I have done so many of these, with very pleasing results. And as I said earlier, it's best done manually--see my posts on good hints.

I'm moving in ~3 weeks, but after that, I guess I coud write a guide.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Cornucopia,
    I hope I can see your Guide as soon as possible. If you finish it, pls do let me know. Thank you in advance.
    I have tried DVD Presenter from http://www.sameshow.com/powerpoint-to-dvd.html .
    It works nice with DVD menus and all the PowerPoint animations remained.
    I think it is better than output as JPG image then burn to DVD.
    But, it is $99, a high price..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cornucopia,

I would love to know how you have done them successfully. My presentations are fully done in powerpoint. All of the animations and timings, also the music is inserted into powerpoint. My presentations include alot of photos and animation. Every program that I try has some sort of problem. Most of the time once it captures the slideshow, it does not play it back properly. Either the music plays and the animation doesn't, or vice versa. And then other times they both play but not in sync, that is, if it plays at all. Then if I do manage to get it recorded properly on a dvd, it doesnt fit the tv screen properly and you lose half of the slide all around the edges and the quality is so poor that it looks completely unprofessional. If you can offer any help after you move, I'd really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the difference between PPT2DVD and DVD Presenter? They are both from a Chinese company called Wondershare. At a glance at the descriptions, they look very similar. Both sites have butchered grammar. I don't know why Chinese companies insist on using garbage English - too cheap to have things properly translated I suppose. It makes you wonder how cheap they were in the development and testing of their software. If I had an important use for software like this, I would be a little nervous about using it. Has anyone used either of these products?

http://www.ppt-to-dvd.com/ppt2dvd/overview.html

http://www.sameshow.com/powerpoint-to-dvd.html
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Michelin,
    Did you burn PowerPoint to DVD successfully with the original PowerPoint animations, transitions and music without using some third-party tools? How to do that?

SCDVD,
    Did you try the two products? PPT2DVD and DVD Presenter?
    I only tried DVD Presenter. And I'd also like to know the difference between the two products.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    FWIW, and what I've seen so far, all PPT->DVD converter apps miss a few things (especially resolution/smoothness and animations).
    That's why I recommend a combination of tools (with later assemblage of the best features of each), in order to get an identical experience to the original PPT.

Quickly stated, I'd combine:
    1. Manual Pix exporting with canvas enlargement for oversampling, with subsequent downrezzing
    2. Using converters on "simplified/non-animated" versions of the PPT, to pin down the DVD navigation/structure (read with IFOedit)
    3. Slow down animations and then play while video screencapping (speeding back up later).
    4. Play while sending out through SVideo port to "TV" (actually DVD recorder)

Re-import all these things and take the best of each, including bookending lowrez transitions to hirez statics.
    Takes a little work, but ends up looking gorgeous!

In many ways, however, it makes sense to just use PPT as a pre-viz tool and re-originate everything in a standard video editor.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jrhx,

There is no way to put ppt directly to dvd without a third party. Microsoft only has a pack n go feature for cd, not dvd.

cornucopia,

I appreciate the run down, but to be honest, that was completely over my head. I know my way around powerpoint, but as far as the other authoring and editing methods, I don't know too much, so you lost me.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've done it with Camtasia Studio. Works OK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Michelin,
    If you honestly don't know much about the other stuff, and just some about PPT, I'd strongly recommend you go the [PPT -> S-Video TV out -> DVD recorder] method. As long as you:
    1. Don't have any clickable buttons/hyperlinks, loops, branches and other "interactive" features.
    2. DO have an S-Video out connector (common on better laptops)
    3. DO have a DVD recorder
    4. DO have a fast/powerful enough computer for smooth animations.

If you don't have one with all these, maybe you could load your material on a friend's laptop and borrow theirs for the day.

Set output to "TV" (or something labelled similarly, better than simultaneous "TV+Main screen").
    "Play" your Powerpoint while recording on your DVD recorder.

(Note: Some recorders could accept DV/Firewire in when source isn't a camera, but many don't--as was noted in a recent thread. This WOULD have been a slightly better quality option.)

** Don't forget the 1/8" stereo mini phono (for headphones jack) adapter cable which splits out to 2 RCA cables. For SOUND. You want sound too, don't you?

This kind of setup can be done in ~10 minutes (assuming you have the equipment). Least amount of hassle overall.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott,

Thank you! That's actually very helpful. I never knew how to get sound by playing it through my laptop on the TV since the S-Video obviously only transfers the video portion. I'm gonna try that. My only problem now is, finding someone who has a DVD recorder...

Is this what you do for work or it's just something you do on the side? You seem to have all the equipment and the know how.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Download.com has PP to DVD programs you can try. Depends on how complex your PP thing is. Also, is it pp 2003-06 or 2007?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I also wanted to ask, is it any easier to make a wmv into a dvd? Because I was able to succuessfully convert my ppt into wmv.

handyguy,
    my ppt is pretty complex. There are lots of photos and animations. It's not a business type of powerpoint. It's done with music and photos as almost like an animated, computerized scrapbook. If that makes sense. I used powerpoint 2002. I want to upgrade before I start this next one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WMM. Export to DV-AVI. Encode to MPEG2 for regular authoring a DVD.

If you need more details, there are a number of threads here already that go through this.

(This ppt/dvd stuff is one of the many things I do at work)

Was this "successful" transfer to WMV to your satisfaction re: resolution/quality, animation smoothness, etc.?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The wmv was perfect, expect for one slide where the words didn't show up, but I could live with that considering I can't get anything nearly as good. I would try changing the animation or something there and re-converting the powerpoint, except it was a friend of a friend who figured out how to do it for me, and I don't know what program he used. But the wmv is an exact replica of the powerpoint presentation. Considering you do this professionally, what would you charge me to put the ppt onto dvd if I sent you the presentation?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All depends on length & comlexity, but the rate is $50/hr.
    (Don't really want to "advertise" and solicit, as it's not kosher to Baldrick's rules, and I wanna be a good boy. PM me if you really need to).

Exact replica, huh? That's a tall order...

I'll try to get a clip uploaded by tomorrow as an example of this last process.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, yea. I don't wanna get you in trouble. Besides I asked, you didnt advertise. As I was explaining a little in my last post, it's like a computerized scrapbook. I made it for my grandparents 50th Anniversary so it has lots and lots of pics and animation. It's about 30 min long and contains 6 or 7 songs I think. So I would guess that's pretty long and complicated.

I don't expect an exact replica, just something that runs smoothly, fits on a tv screen, and looks pretty decent.

I'd like to see a sample of what you do when you get a chance to upload it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, here's a sample: http://www.cornucopiadm.com/goodies/PPT2DVD_cut.zip

It's a few seconds of a clip ripped from a DVD that I did for a consumer client who had already created the PPT for a family member. Shows animated text & photo fly-ins. Unfortunately, photos on this clip aren't fullscreen, so can't easily compare color accuracy. Maybe not the best clip for colorspace, but good to show text resolution, contrast, and animation smoothness (not perfect, but quite good).
    I took the audio out for size and copyright reasons.
    Unzip and play in MPEG/DVD player (will probably want to turn on De-Interlace).
    ~15MB.

Let me know what you think...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Scott,

That clip looks really good. I'm going to try getting my hands on a dvd recorder and give it try that way. Hopefully I'll get a good copy for dvd. Thanks so much for your help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Michele
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Need a reasonably quick system to pull this type of thing off so as to include "smooth" transitions capture .

Camstudio from http://www.camstudio.org/ , free and grab there compression codec for screen capture .

If you intend on ppt to dvd , then if ptt has greater resolution than pal (720x576) or nstc (720x480) , then set screen resolution to 800x600 , start camstudio , choose camstudio screen codec , set fps , and recording , then run ptt .

Stop camstudio , and it will then save avi .
    Reset desktop res to original .
    Run bbmpeg , hit add , select avi .

There are two windows to the right .
    Set width to chosen dvd width .
    Set height to chosen dvd height .
    Hit start encode .

Forgot snapshot :

In next box , hit setting .
    setup video settings as mpeg2 under video stream tab .
    Select pal or nstc (same as captured file fps) .
    Mpeg2 .
    Go to general setting tab .
    Select encode video only , and hit go .
    Wait .

If audio was also captured , you can let it encode the audio as well .
    Author streams using prefered dvd authoring product .

Keeps most fonts from being overly washed out looking ... which can hurt peoples eyes .

----

Or wait till you can author hd-dvd content ... lol
    Quote Quote