VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that there are plenty of DVD compression softwares out there. I've used CloneDVD2 and Amazon's DVD Shrinker. I noticed DVD Shrinker did a better job of compression, by creating less distortion and coming closer to the custom target disc size.

I am actually merging two full length movies into one file, then compressing them to fit on 8.5MB disc. My question is, are their any softwares out that are notoriously popular for superior quality? Or are they all the same?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Rebuilder with either HCEnc or CCE will produce superior results to a transcoder under most circumstances simply because it uses a better technique. Transcoders reduce the size of the video by removing data from the current stream without re-encoding. This has the advantage of speed, however it also quickly degrades the quality in many circumstances. Re-Builder actually re-encodes the video from scratch, which allows for proper analysis of the video stream to best determine where the saving can be made with the least impact.

Regardless, there is always a point where too much compression will do damage. However with Re-builder you can usually push that point a lot further than you can with a transcoder.

That said, some people cannot see the difference between the original disc and one that has been transcoded down to 50%. If you are one of those then it probably doesn't really matter what you use.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've always found DVD Shrink / Nero Recode did a good job when the quality settings are enabled. In Shrink, after you click the backup button the configuration panel comes up. Click the Quality Settings tab and check both boxes. Do the same in recode; here the settings are on the burn page. This is like doing a two pass encoding i.e. it takes twice as long, usually around an hour. That's still shorter than a complete re-encode and for backups to play in the van or for viewers that don't know any better, I don't think the extra quality is worth it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink, max smooth AEC, deep analysis on, takes a few hours at most, sometimes less

DVD Rebuilder, use HC Enc (or CCE Basic or Procoder), re-encodes for best quality, but takes quite a few hours (8-10 on average, on a 3Ghz AMD/Intel setup)

DVD2one, most recent versions, not sure on settings (all the "quality" ones would be enabled, no doubt), I just know output looks fine.

Only options I would consider.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You everyone for your input. I just want to share with you, something I read, and I'm wondering how you guys feel about it, with regards to (CCE)...

Both versions of DVD-ReBuilder come with two different free MPEG encoders - HC (Hank''s Encoder) and QuEnc. Both are good encoders, although not quite as good as the best commercial MPEG encoders available. In addition, Cinema Craft Encoder (CCE) and Canopus ProCoder are also supported. These two encoders are generally considered the best available. CCE comes in two versions - CCE Basic and CCE SP.

Can anyone confirm that Cinema Craft Encoder, is really the best encoding method available?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please post dvd backuping in the DVD to DVD FORUM! Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noy2014
    Can anyone confirm that Cinema Craft Encoder, is really the best encoding method available?
    This basic question has probably been asked and answered a few thousand times across many different video forums. You're best bet would be a Google search. You'll find screenshots, comparisions, opinions, scientific explanations, and specific examples related to the source material etc.

That said, being a 'Movie Only' guy, the original DVDShrink serves me well on movies of around 2 hours or less. By my eye and on my equipment they look great.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero recode2 with deep analysis and AEC.
    Shrink with deep analysis and AEC.
    dvd2one V 2.13.
    these three are my way. dvd2one is the fastest and the quality output is great.
    Quote Quote