VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have become used to and very fond of DVD Shrink's ability to control how much or how little compression I use as well as reauthor DVDs either by removing their menus or splitting them into two DVDs. Is there a DVD-to-DivX-converting freeware that will let me: decrypt CSS-protected DVDs, choose what version of DivX I want to use, choose how much or little compression, keep or remove a DVD's original menus, and allow multi-channel audio? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.

Why not ?

Because in most countries it is either illegal or at the least politically frowned upon to provide CSS decryption without license, and no-one will license it for format conversion.

It is also a lot more complex to convert a fully working DVD to Divx Ultra format than it is to simply transcode some video data the way Shrink does.

So far, the only reliable method of menu creation for Divx Ultra vertified players has been the pegasys derived products, neither of which will rip your DVD for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Well then, as Real Player converts PCM CDs to MP3s, what would be the most convenient way to convert comertial DVDs to a format with which I can put multiple movies on a single-layer DVD-R?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would convert to avi divx/xvid with FairUse Wizard, AutoGK. But you wont be able to keep the menus, extra material. Iif you want to keep it you can use the ratdvd format...but it will only work on computers and I think they have quit develop it also so I can't recommend it.
    Quote Quote