VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped a DVD that I want to play over TVersity on the PS3, the video comes thru fine on everything, but only Video and AUdio work fine on the first VOB, every other VOB I get just video.

On the pc they all play fine. Its like the audio track or something is not being picked up properly on the PS3 for the 2nd VOBs.

Any Cluesss?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not much help, only some guesses.

I have had the exact opposite problem on a PS-2, where the First VOB would have no audio, only video, but all other VOBS played correctly.

Authoring exact same video, using same disks, same burner, and same burning software, only difference using GUIforDVDAuthor instead of DVDLab, all video and audio played perfectly. Test reproduced on three seperate disks and sets of video, problem and solution absolutely confirmed to my satisfaction.

Exactly what caused it is the question, I think it is in the muxing step but have no real confirmation of this. How was your ripped DVD created, is the disk completely full, can you rip just the first or second video for test purposes, or reverse the order on the disk? Is there something wrong with the first video or does the PS3 simply error on whatever is first?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used DVD Shrink with no custom settings at all. VOBs all play fine on computer and when DVD is burned. But playing over TVersity to PS3 it wont play audio on the other VOBs. TVersity says they dont transcode anything with the VOBs, they just pass them along to the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can you reverse the order and confirm that there is no problem with the second VOB, by showing that the same file will play if it is first instead of second?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tried rip to one vob with for example dvd decrypter? Or join the vobs with vobmerge.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem: only first vob with audio - and I found a rather simple solution.

This description is for those who:
    - want to rip dvd-films WITHOUT conversion/compression
    - have to be aware of the 4gb file-limit because they copy the films on a usb-hdd (fat32) and plug it to the ps3
    - use several vob-files but only the first has audio

To have sound in all vob-files follow these steps:
    1. use dvd decrypter to rip the dvd
    2. choose the IFO-Mode to rip
    a) The main movie should be selected on the Input-tab (normally done automatically)
    b) On the Stream-Processing-Tab: uncheck everything except the movie (first entry) and your favorite language.
    c) After that mark the choosen language and change its "map-to"-option to 0x80 (so this language is mapped to the default-stream). i am not really sure if this step is (always) needed.
    3. !!!The most important thing!!!:
    In the IFO-Settings use the File-Splitting-Option "By VOB ID". In most cases that will create 2 vob-files out of a movie (if you only rip the movie and one language). Don't worry: The outcoming files are smaller than 4GB.
    --> AFTER CHANGING/SAVING THE FILE-SPLITTING-SETTING PLEASE RESTART DVD DECRYPTER CAUSE OTHERWISE THE NEW SETTING ISN'T USED!!
    4. You can find more info on how to use dvd decrypter and especially the IFO-Mode on http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dvddec.htm

Explanation why cutting the movie into 4GB or 2GB pieces does NOT work:
    It looks like a DVD is separated into several VOB-IDs, which are separated into cells (you can see that on the Input-tab, if you move the mouse over the cell-name on the right you get information about VOB-iD). E.g. the first VOB-ID reaches from chapter 1 to 12. Chapter 13 to the last chapter are in the next VOB-ID.
    Each VOB-ID has its own audio-information at the beginning (?? perhaps in the first cell or chapter??). So while ripping you have to take care that the audio-information is in each of your created vob-files.
    But if you create the vob-files cutting them into pieces by using a GB-file-limit you have no influence if audio info is available in each file. (e.g. the audio-info of vob-id 1 and 2 could be in the first file which contains vob-id 1 and the beginning of vob-id2. the second vob-file starts in the middle of vob-id 2 and therefore has no audio information)

Why does it nevertheless work sometimes to separate the vob-files in 4GB-pieces?:
    Because on some dvds a new VOB-ID starts every 4GB, so choosing the file-splitting-option 4GB or "By VOB ID" get the same results.

Hope that helps...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have ripped a DVD
    It might actually be helpful if you provide the name of this dvd with issues

There are a few things that can be done to cause the first vob to play the correct audio stream first, and all others following to do otherwise.

Might be worth using pgcedit to load the ripped dvd on the hd up, and post the "pre" and "post" navigational commands for the main title here so we might check them for any faults.
    Quote Quote