VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sams club have this DVP5982 Divx DVD HD upscalling player for $67. I bought one with Belkin HDMI cable. Reviews are great but some how when I came home and try to play my Divx DVD with HDMI connected to my Samsung 42" HD Plasma TV, i do not see the option of progressive scan in menu. When i go to set up menu of DVP5982, it shows me the option of progressive scan in menu but skips it every time i try to selecte it to turn on. I don't know if this is a known issue or a regular behavior since I am using HDMI cable and upscalling it to 1080i.
    Would someone please let me know if there is a limitation of Progressive scan when used with HDMI or this is a bug?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does your HDTV support 1080p over HDMI? You also need an appropriate HDMI cable. Not all HDTVs and HDMI cables suppport 1080p.

I don't think a 42" plasma is likely to benefit much from 1080p vs 720p anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Does your HDTV support 1080p over HDMI? You also need an appropriate HDMI cable. Not all HDTVs and HDMI cables suppport 1080p.

I don't think a 42" plasma is likely to benefit much from 1080p vs 720p anyway.
    A good point. A 42" plasma can't truly resolve 1080 anything. Also note all the sports channels use 720p due to it's better/smoother handling of action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready
    Quote Quote  
  4. I dont think the 5982 does upscan to 1080p only 1080i, possibly you might get 720p?
    (iI bet the HDMI cable cost you as much as the dvd player )
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The whole point of the 5982 is the 1080p output. It's really the only thing it does that the 5960 doesn't.
    Quote Quote  
  6. you're right .. but its also Ultra
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You mean Divx Ultra certified? So is the 5960.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD player supports 1080P and my TV does not. My 42" plasma only supports 780p so that I m fine with. My problem is how to get Progressive Scan working. I have Belkin HDMI cable connected to TV an DVD does recognize it. However, some how it is not allowing me to select Progressive scan option. Does progressive scan work only in component cable mode or should it work in HDMI as well?
    Quote Quote  
  9. The 5982 seems to do a much better job of resuming a DVD than the 5960.

When I turn it on with a DVD I had been watching it offers to resume or option to start over without my needing to do any button presses. I never noticed that with the 5960. Of course I never upgraded the firmware since "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my belief.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, i pluged in the RCA cable to DVD player to connect to TV and now it does show the Progressive Scan option and allows me to select it to turn it on. So, has anyone tried this to check with HDMI to see if thats the issue? If you are using HDMI cable than Progressive scan may not be needed or may not work? I have set my HDMI upscalling to 780p and when HDMI cable is pluged in, DVD player Menu does not allow to even select the progressive scan option.
    Quote Quote