VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I want to burn my mkv files into a DVD. I used mkvextractgui to extract the video, audio and the srt files. However, in my recent attempt to extract from a certain file, I can't seem to extract the video part of the mkv file. So far here's the error I'm receiving:

Even though this came from a mkvextract 1.5, I already tried 1.6 but 1.6 doesn't show the error as 1.5 does.

Are there other tools used for extracting mkv? I already read Baldrick's guide but also couldn't extract mkv from VirtualDub.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use ConvertXtoDVD instead if you want a dvd...or do you want an avi on a dvd?????????? Then use alltoavi.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks!

But I want to go to the traditional route of:

mkv to avi
    avi to mpeg2

So I'm really trying to extract the mkv to avi.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shadowofthedarkgod
    But I want to go to the traditional route of:
    mkv to avi
    avi to mpeg2
    Aha...
    What ever for?
    You haven't given info on what video you have within the mkv.
    Use mkvinfo.
    You really want to go from mkv->mpeg2 though. With raw format and frameserving possibly in between.

When refering to version 1.5 and 1.6 I can only surmise you're actually talking about mkvextractgui.

Update mkvtoolnix to update mkvextract to version 2.0.2

I'd say you've got native AVC, are working with way outdated software and are set on taking unnecessary steps.
    You'll probably need acv2avi, if you insist on going to avi.

If you find it a persistent problem, ,upload a sample for me and i'll give it a shot

gl
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yup, it is AVC. I still can't seem to extract it the video part of the mkv though even with the upgrade of mkvtoolnix
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try super it might convert it directly to mpeg2 for you

I had a hi-res mkv file a couple months ago and super converted it to mpeg for me
    Quote Quote  
  7. I already tried SUPER, but SUPER is really good only at converting small files. SUPER has synch issues when converting large files.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you can try extracting raw with mkvextract or avimux-gui.

If you find it a persistent problem, upload a sample for me and i'll give it a shot
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by 45tripp
    you can try extracting raw with mkvextract or avimux-gui.

If you find it a persistent problem, upload a sample for me and i'll give it a shot
    Thanks! avimux_gui has extracted the avc. Now on to the conversion to AVI!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I already tried SUPER, but SUPER is really good only at converting small files. SUPER has synch issues when converting large files.
    In SUPER, sync issues are (apparently) usually caused by not making sure the frame rate of the output file is exactly the same as the input file. (At least, that's the answer they continue to give.)

Another thing you can try (yes, I know you've just had success with AVIMux-GUI ) - if you have AVISynth installed, and your encoder accepts .avs scripts as input, is to frameserve the video direct to the encoder. All you have to do is make an .avs script with the following line:

DirectShowSource("video.mkv")

...or...

DirectShowSource("C:\path-to-video\video.mkv")

...and then feed that to the encoder.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never had sound sync issues with super, maybe i do things differently

in my case i use super to create an mpeg2, then i used it to create an ac3 sound file (2) streams

I used cce to process/encode the mpeg2 with NO sound selected to get an MPV used dgpulldown to change the frame rate from to 29.97 mv2 file

then used gui4dvd to author to dvd, using the mv2 file and the ac3 from super

perfect high quality video with perfect insync sound
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you're using pulldown, then you're not changing framerate.
    so you're not likely to encounter the problem described by Ai haibara

re-encoding super's mpeg2 output with cce is unnecessary, pointless and silly.

one or the other.
    preferably the better one, cce.
    it's just a matter of finding a way to import your video straight into cce without re-encoding.
    (avisynth)

Or just super if you find it difficult to import your video directly into cce.
    (and stop, no cce encode)

Or if you're so attached to super as an intermediary, at least a method that makes a bit more sense, like going to huffyuv.

gl
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK it changes the flags, so it plays differently, same number of frames, BUT it plays like 29.97 which needed fo DVD

lets stick to topic, trouble converting the MKV

at the time ( the way i did it it ) was the only way that worked, cce wouldn't accept it the file, no matter what the 'avisynth script' said, it was being served correctly,

and ConvertX didn't accept it either

after i did my way guimkvextract was suggested NOT before

that way also worked, I was able to extract the avi, and frame serve it

since i was working with a 900*620 file the end result of both methods was very close

the mkv extract to avi to cce to gui4dvdaythor showed quality increase in some scenes

avisynth and virtualdubmod are great programs, BUT there are files they 'CHOKE' on and the MKV container is known to cause problems

if MKV extract is not working for him, it is not going to hurt to try super and see if he can get satisfactory results
    Quote Quote  
  14. Also, I tried following Baldrick's guide in MKV conversion to AVi, but whenever I open the mkv file from Virtualdub, I always get this error:

How do I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I fix this?
    and ends with the warning:
    "vdub requires a vfw codec..."?

You can get ffdshow, if you don't already have it, and set up vfw configuration, enabling the h264 decoder.
    Vdubmod is not the tool to be using though.
    If you want avc in an avi, extract the raw stream with mkvextract and the use avc2avi to put it in the avi container.
    If you're going to mpeg2, there's no need to switch containers.

Originally Posted by theewizard
    at the time ( the way i did it it ) was the only way that worked,
    but you know better now.

cce wouldn't accept it the file, no matter what the 'avisynth script' said, it was being served correctly,
    Directshowsource should work.
    i wouldn't be happy if i couldn't get it to work.
    If you've got a 'problem' file, re-try, I'll help.

the mkv extract to avi to cce to gui4dvdaythor showed quality increase in some scenes
    obviously

avisynth and virtualdubmod are great programs, BUT there are files they 'CHOKE' on and the MKV container is known to cause problems
    avisynth doesn't choke on anything.
    vdubmod is not the right tool.

if MKV extract is not working for him, it is not going to hurt to try super and see if he can get satisfactory results
    Of course not.
    there's nothing wrong with one-click, if it works and if results satisfy.
    Then re-encoding your one-click one-pass result with cce, is wrong though. Wasteful. You stop with super there and pulldown.
    Or you seek the better result by going straight to cce, with a bit more effort required.

gl
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by 45tripp
    How do I fix this?
    and ends with the warning:
    "vdub requires a vfw codec..."?

You can get ffdshow, if you don't already have it, and set up vfw configuration, enabling the h264 decoder.
    Vdubmod is not the tool to be using though.
    If you want avc in an avi, extract the raw stream with mkvextract and the use avc2avi to put it in the avi container.
    If you're going to mpeg2, there's no need to switch containers.

gl
    Yup, it ends with that error.

My first option really was to use mkvextractgui, but as you can see in my first post, it can't seem to extract the video part of the mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah but it should.

And you said you got avi-muxgui to work ok.

and
    to open in vdubmod.

Upload a sample if you're still having trouble

gl
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    theewizard wrote:

cce wouldn't accept it the file, no matter what the 'avisynth script' said, it was being served correctly,

Directshowsource should work.
    i wouldn't be happy if i couldn't get it to work.
    If you've got a 'problem' file, re-try, I'll help.

theewizard wrote:

obviously

theewizard wrote:

avisynth doesn't choke on anything.
    vdubmod is not the right tool.
    yes avisynth did choke, it would NOT frame serve the MKV file to cce, cce was reporting frame size errors, the problem was what avisynth was trying to serve to cce

it did NOT work not with avisynth source NOT with directsource

it only accepeted the avi after i extracted it from the mkv file

and since gui4dvdauthor wants elementry streams NOT muxed streams and using cce on the mpeg2 gave me my mpv which the changed with dgpulldown.

lets not criticize past solutions that solved the problem before the correct help was offered.

at the time everybody said i was using FITCD and cce wrong, when i used the scripts & suggestions of everbody involved

your suggestion of mkvextract came AFTER i had accomplished it my way.

mkvetract would have solved the problem in the begining, but nobody suggested, except you, after i did it my way

MKV's suck, they cause problems, even with the correct tools
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes avisynth did choke,
    worth trying again.
    and again.

and since gui4dvdauthor wants elementry streams
    demux
    with tmpgenc's mpeg tools, or dgindex or something.

lets not criticize past solutions that solved the problem before the correct help was offered.
    No,
    but lets not repeat them

MKV's suck, they cause problems, even with the correct tools
    Matroska is a great container.
    Sometimes they just need a bit more care.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it seems the MKV container will accept almost anything, makes it easy to Mux, but not so great for those that have reason to convert to something else, it goes together easier than it comes apart
    Quote Quote  
  21. I've finally managed to extract the video and convert the video to avi using avc2avi. I've also managed to put in the audio using Virtualdub. My problem now is I want to put subs in it but Virtualdub's only only option for it since its h264 is direct stream copy. Any other tools should I use? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where do I download this avc2avi?
    It comes with a 7z container and can't seem to extract it. thanks!
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89979

Winrar can open 7-zip files, or download 7-zip
    http://www.7-zip.org/
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks, I got it. It just needed .net tools. But still having problems with putting subs on it though
    Quote Quote  
  24. Finally got it working! Thanks to all that replied!

1) Uninstalled mkvtoolnix/mkvextract and reinstalled it (latest version)

2) Extracted the audio, video and subs using mkvextractgui.

3) Converted the audio by lamemp3.

4) Converted the video to avi using SUPER.

5) Combined the audio and video via VirtualDub (Baldrick's guide)

6) Combined the "with audio" to the subs. (Baldrick's guide)

Thanks to all!

MKV is a really troublesome container. Took a lot to convert it. I'm not against SUPER though, but it really felt like I was cheating in conversion (I like having control in conversion), but its really great nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
  25. See the pages 9 &10 of the AVS forum....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852855

Method with no reencoding!!

Kevin
    Quote Quote