VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, this is a pretty basic question and I feel kind of stupid asking it since I've been backing up DVDs for a while now. But I have a DVD that is Region 3 and I would like to back it up but have it be region-free. How would I go about doing this? Does DVD Decrypter automatically make it region-free when it rips it to your hard drive? I plan on using CCE/DVD-RB to get it to fit on a DVD-5 it that matters at all. Please let me know, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hiimbored
    Hi, this is a pretty basic question and I feel kind of stupid asking it since I've been backing up DVDs for a while now. But I have a DVD that is Region 3 and I would like to back it up but have it be region-free. How would I go about doing this? Does DVD Decrypter automatically make it region-free when it rips it to your hard drive?
    Yes, unless you specifically want to retain a region code.

You may find however that DVD Decrypter by itself is no longer able to bypass copy protection on the latest releases.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Hi, this is a pretty basic question and I feel kind of stupid asking it since I've been backing up DVDs for a while now. But I have a DVD that is Region 3 and I would like to back it up but have it be region-free. How would I go about doing this? Does DVD Decrypter automatically make it region-free when it rips it to your hard drive?
    Yes, unless you specifically want to retain a region code.

You may find however that DVD Decrypter by itself is no longer able to bypass copy protection on the latest releases.
    So then what do you suggest I use, AnyDVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've always used RipIt4Me myself but it's days are numbered and I expect I will soon be forced to use DVDFab Decrypter instead.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I;m doing it now! A region 1 disk in a Region2 locked drive.
    And the answer is yes! DVD Decryptor is ripping the disk using "Brute Force" rather than key exchange but it doesn't seem to make any difference to the speed of ripping.

The resulting files are region 0 (ie region free) or at least by the time I ran them through DVD Shrink and burnt them to a DVD they were.

I'm just rerunning the test again comparing the rip speeds between my region free drive and region 2 drive but it doesn't seem to make much difference (ie it takes about 20mins to rip a 7.8GB disk)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought the question was about how to make a region-free backup from a region-coded disc, not how to rip a region-coded disc from a region-locked drive?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can I tell if just using DVD Decrypter by itself results in a region-free DVD? I don't want to go through all the reauthoring in DVD-RB just to find out that it is still Region 3 when I burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    I thought the question was about how to make a region-free backup from a region-coded disc, not how to rip a region-coded disc from a region-locked drive?
    LOL, that was the question, I don't know what this guy is talking about.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And it does not matter what region the drive on your pc is locked to unless you are trying to watch it with a software player, for ripping it to your HDD it does not matter if the disc region matches the region of the drive.

And if you rip it with any program, DVD Decrypter, Ripit4me, DVDFab Decrypter, ect. the region coding will be gone, just do what ya gotta do with it, then burn the resulting files to dvdr with imgburn.

I've never had a problem with region 2,4,6 disc's backing them up so i doubt region 3 disc's would be any diff. unless they are PAL and you can only play NTSC disc's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How can I tell if just using DVD Decrypter by itself results in a region-free DVD? I don't want to go through all the reauthoring in DVD-RB just to find out that it is still Region 3 when I burn it.
    If you're really worried, do a fast, low-quality rip first and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hiimbored
    How can I tell if just using DVD Decrypter by itself results in a region-free DVD?
    In DVD Decrypter select Tools -> Settings then look at the settings for the mode you ripped in. If Remove IFO RC Protection and Remove IFO RCE Protection are selected, and you haven't changed them recently, then the rips are region free.

For stuff you've already ripped you can use an IFO editor.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well it seems my DVD drive is a region locked drive. I'm using a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S, and according to everything I have found, there is nothing I can do about it. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hiimbored
    Well it seems my DVD drive is a region locked drive. I'm using a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-841S, and according to everything I have found, there is nothing I can do about it. Anybody have any suggestions?
    You can buy a Lite-On and put it in a external case,then use LtnRPC.
    Quote Quote