VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have had a problem copying a movie DVD to DVDR.

I used DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD, unfortunately there were errors, so after no luck with cleaning several times (and yes I do know how to do this properly and thoroughly), I set DVD Decrypter to ignore all errors.

Amazingly I was 'in luck' the only errors occurred right at the beginning of the first movie vob, about 17 MBs into the movie (in studio logos territory) and right at the end of the final movie vob at 965 MB (of 980 MB in total (so in end credits territory). There were about 3000 errors in both 'error sections'.

In the past when this has happened I've just loaded the copied DVD into DVD Shrink or DVD Rebuilder (depending on whether it's needed compression or not) and copied the movie, even with 3000 errors the result can be as little as a few seconds of screen pixelization.

However in this case DVD Shrink won't load the full DVD at all in 'Full Disk' mode and doesn't spot the 'Main Movie' at all in 'Re-Author' mode, just the menus and extras. DVD Rebuilder (using 'movie only' mode) loads the movie fine and as a test I ran it in 'no compression', it demuxed fine, but crashed right at the end of remuxing while doing its 'rebuild', the last message in the log is 'Updating NAVPACKS for VOBID_07'.

Next I tried demuxing the video and audio streams from the DVD Decrypter copied movie using VobEdit, no problems. Next remuxing using 'Author DVD' with IfoEdit, which simply crashes after a few mins saying 'too many frame drops'.

One final piece of info is that when looking at the movie in a video player, after the end credits have finished the player then shows less than a minute of a scene that occurs right before the end credits start. That short clip is still in the movie where it should be, but is repeated after the end credits. This happened before with a different movie that I ignored errors when ripping. In that instance the movie loaded into DVD Shrink, and I just manually set the end frame to stop at the end of the credits and so 'cut' the short scene duplication. The result played perfectly but obviously I can't do that in this case cos DVD Shrink doesn't load the movie.

Any advise on how to proceed would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FixVTS will fix problems like this sometimes. Its worth a try; it's a free program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    FixVTS will fix problems like this sometimes. Its worth a try; it's a free program.
    What a great utility, it worked a treat !!

Many, many, thanks for suggesting it to me.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote