VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    can you please tell me if it is possible to change a avi file from 16:9 to 4:3 and vice versa.is it possible to do that with auto gordian knot.what i mean is 4:3 to be fullscreen,fill up the whole screen.please reply a.s.a.p.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is possible. You have to use the cropping features in the hidden menu (ctrl + F9). You will have to work out for yourself exactly what the numbers need to be, as it will vary from avi to avi.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, it's possible (but stupid) to change a widescreen movie to a "fullscreen" movie. No, you shouldn't use AutoGK for the job. Yes, it's possible (and even more stupid) to change a "fullscreen" movie to a widescreen movie. No, you shouldn't use AutoGK for the job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you please tell me the best program to do the job.because i don't wan't to mess with the cropping feature in auto gordian knot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK is as good as any if you want a straight forward solution. Why don't you want to use it ?

I agree with my learned colleague about the sensibility of converting widescreen to fullscreen and fullscreen to widescreen. In both cases you have to throw away between 25 and 33% of the image, and in both cases, unless you are willing to hand track every shot to make sure the main action remains in shot and the focal point, all you get is poorly cropped video. Personally, I would not do it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you please tell me the best program that i can do that with.what i want do do is change a couple of movies from 16:9 to 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is no 'best program' to do this. AutoGK is as good as anything else, and easier than learning avisynth yourself.

If you are happy with a DVD as output, ConvertXtoDVD will do a fullscreen conversion, but it is a simple centre crop. If just cuts off the edges and lose whatever was there. That is about as easy as it gets.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i already have that program,it does not do what i want to do.i convert movies with that program all the time,the results is not what i want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand what you want them. AutoGK can be used to crop your image. For that matter, so can virtualdub, avisynth, Vegas, Premiere etc. Take your pick. Vegas and Premiere probably won't like working with over compressed avis like Divx/Xvid. Virtualdub will, but you will have to work out the numbers yourself, and set up the compression by hand. AutoGK will let you crop with numbers you calculate, but at least it works out the compression for you.

You haven't said what sort of output you want either. Are you after avi, DVD, ipod mp4 ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks.
    Quote Quote