VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hiya

I have a VOB File which is appx 4.5GB. When i try to burn to dvd it says i must use an UDF format as the file is larger than 2GB.

Is there a way round this or do i have to split the VOB file up. It is a film so obviously when it plays it needs to be seemless.

Thx

Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why burn a VOB as data? If you must, try the UDF format as suggested. But a VOB on its own isn't really of much use - it's basically a part of a Video DVD taken out of context.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thx for the reply.

I am trying to burn it as a video. I put the VOB into VIDEO_TS folder and i get a message saying i must use UDF. When I burn as UDF, it burns it as a file, not as a DVD that will play on a standalone DVD player.

Anymore thoughts ?

Thx

paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Creating a Video DVD involves quite some more than "putting a VOB file inside a VIDEO_TS folder" and burning this with Nero.
    Try to persuade a good authoring app to accept your VOB as source material for authoring, such as TMPGEnc DVD Author.
    There's a reason why the DVD standard calls for max 1 GB VOB file size. Any real authoring app will split the VOB(s) in 1 GB chunks. Seamless playback is not affected by this.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using IFOEdit on your VOB, then use DVDShrink to create a DVD-5 disk backup...if you get an error in shrink then use FixVTS before shrink and try again..should work.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by paulwilko
    I am trying to burn it as a video. I put the VOB into VIDEO_TS folder and i get a message saying i must use UDF. When I burn as UDF, it burns it as a file, not as a DVD that will play on a standalone DVD player.
    Look at the files on a normal DVD video.
    Aside from the VOBs, there are IFO (basically indexes) and a number of backup files.
    Also, DVD VOBs are NEVER over 1 GB. Though on playback they will be seamless if a title extends over more than one VOB.

Some apps make a video files that are similar to these VOBs, but you can't just dump them to a disc and play them as a video.

Generally you can treat them as MPEG files.

One quick, free, way: try ReJig.

File Mode: demux your VOB, to produce a video and an audio file.
    if that works, then use
    DVD Author mode: select the two files you just made and a folder ("destination"), click "create".

This will create a complete VIDEO_TS fileset you can burn and play.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thx all

I tried what seemed the simplest (AlanHK)'s method and it worked, so thx for that

Cheers

Paul
    Quote Quote