VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, new guy here.

I recently learned about Fair Use and downloaded version 2.6 LE. I am using it to back up my DVDs

of the television show “LOST”

After using a few other DVD to AVI ripping programs with poor results, I am very happy with this software.

I am having a problem however playing my disk on my home dvd player. Here are all the details of my rip/burn project:

In season 1 there are 24 episodes the last one being a 2 hour episode. All the one hour episodes were each ripped to a 350MB DivX file. The first time around I just doubled the size for the last 2 hr episode (700MB) But found it to be too large to fit all 24 episodes on my desired 2 dvd-r disks. So I re ripped the final episode to 630MB and that fixed my disk capacity issue.

I used Nero Burner version 6.6.0.1 to burn the 2 DVD-ROM (ISO) disks on DVD-R disks using the “no multisession” option.

On the 1st dvd-r I have episodes 1-12 and on the 2nd dvd-r I have episodes 13-24. Each episode is one track on the disk.

The first disk plays fine in my dvd player (model: LiteOn DD-A100GX) except for the last two episodes (tracks).

The second disk plays fine except for the last episode.

Is there a difference/preference between using a DVD-R or a DVD+R that would cause this problem?

All the files play fine from my hard drive. I just discovered that there are also issues playing the files from the burned dvd-r disks on my pc as well. So I believe this might be narrowed down to a burning issue or blank disk type?

I thought I would ask before investing a whole lot more time than I already have on this project.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

If I failed to mention any info here that might help in figuring this out, please let me know...
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My first suspicion would be the DVD media, especially where it fails close to the end of the playback. That would be on the outer part of the disc and the most common failure area for media.

I would try a different brand and see if that helps. Alternately try burning one just 2/3 - 3/4 full and see if it plays back properly. What media brand are you using at present?

Look here for a media quality guide: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDs burn from the inside to the outside. Because of the manufacturing process, the outside part of the disc is where problems are most likely to arise. The higher the quality of blank, the less likely you are to run into these sorts of problems. Not filling the disc to capacity is also a good way to reduce the risk.

Read www.nomorecoasters.com for a run-down on quality of various discs, and only buy quality blanks, and not just what's on special at the time. Don't fill your discs if you don't have. They aren't so expensive that you have to squeeze every last bit you can onto the surface - especially if you can't get it off again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Media I used for this was Sony DVD-R Ver.2.1/1x-16x 120min/4.7GB

They were burned at 8x speed

Here is what the disk identifier utility (I got from http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm)

Says about my blanks...

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:SONY16D1]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
    Manufacturer Name : [Sony Recording Media Co.]
    Manufacturer ID : [SONY16D1]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On that media quality guide, it says SONY16D1 media is 1st class media. I am considering buying these Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R Silver Thermal Lacquer on ebay just to try em out. But according to that list, they are in the same class as the media I am currently using.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally not a fan of Sony media. I use Verbatim and TDK without issue.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try different media as it's the easiest thing to change. If that's not it, then it may be a burner problem, assuming the files are fine before they are burned.

Since you are apparently using ISO format for the burn, I would try ImgBurn instead of Nero, though Nero usually handles ISO's fairly well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any difference between DVD-R and DVD+R with regards to this issue? I am inclined to think it may be a size issue as I maxed the disk out. I have a copy of these episodes that a friend downloaded and burned. As far as season 1 disk 1 (eps 1-12) The sizes are the same as the ones I have ripped, the disk they used was identical to mine (sony) except for the fact they were DVD+R where I used DVD-R. Only other difference is theirs plays ALL episodes just fine where mine plays all but the last two.

Also on the disk my friend used is has a small RW near the bottom but it is labeled DVD+R and NOT DVD+RW if that helps any...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I believe one type holds a bit more data than the other, but I don't recall which one. Still, with good media you should be able to burn to the size limit. But I always keep my burns to about 4.2 GB instead of 4.37, just to be on the safe side. A tiny bit more compression usually doesn't hurt that much.

Either type should work fine with all the newer players.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a simple way to slightly further compress my DivX files without ripping them all over again? I would like to decrease the size about 5-10 MB off each one if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only by re-encoding at a lower bitrate, or by cutting off the credits at the end.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I may have found the issue. I tried burning on a different burner and the result was successful.

Now I just need to figure out why the "no Multisession" disk I just burned using Nero can't be copied using Nero, it says the disk is too large...But the space it says is available on my blank DVD is the same as the size of the disk to be copied...

I am guessing that when I use "no multisession" this finalizes the disk which fills in all the unused blank space. I plan to experiment tomorrow, sleep is taking over...

Here is what I am thinking, tell me if this sounds right...

Make a "multisession" (not finalized) burn as my master, and use that to successfully make finalized copies that will play in my dvd Player?

ok time to pass out

I started another thread for this issue, but if you have any ideas...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most players won't play multi-session discs. If you only burn one session they *might* see it, but if you burn a second, the first will be lost when you try to play it back.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still up

Well the only reason I was thinking of burning a multisession disk was (not to play in a player) to use as a source to make copies. I dont want to keep all the files on my HD, takes too much space. But if I can use a non finalized disk to make a straight disk copy and finalize that copy in the process, that would be perfect!

I was figuring that the reason Nero tells me that the disk to be copied is too big, is because it is finalized thus preventing me from copying it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using imgburn instead. It can do data discs in Build mode, as well as make and burn ISO image files. I use it for all my burning - except audio disc creation.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote