VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I repeatedly read of those who hate NeroVision because, among other things, it doesn't flag widescreen properly. I've found this to be the case. It's the same for Roxio & Ulead.

So can someone who says these are no good please tell me what is GUARANTEED to flag widescreen properly - preferably the lowest cost first?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try Tmpgenc DVD Author. If you want something free try GuiForDVDAuthor, not as easy as the others but supports most stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to fix this with PGCedit.

After producing the VIDEO_TS folder with your authoring app, open it with PGCedit.
    For each title: Domain/Domain streams attributes.
    You can see if the stream is marked 4:3 or 16:9 and change it if necessary.

Then save and burn.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried PGCEdit but came across two problems. One, it didn't work! But I may have done something wrong - though I triple checked what I did. Secondly, Though I had two titles - one 16:9 and the other 4:3, I could only find one title to change. Then both separate titles, when I watched the DVD, were affected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I still think PGCedit will work. But it's not terribly user-friendly.
    If you let it scan a VIDEO_TS folder, it should find all your titles.

Or possibly the problem is in the MPEG files before authoring.
    Restream can change the aspect ratio set in MPEGs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IFOEdit can also be used to fix the aspect ratio.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by markannab
    It's the same for Roxio & Ulead.
    Which Ulead product and version are you using? It's been many versions since all their video apps have had 16:9 support.

one 16:9 and the other 4:3, I could only find one title to change. Then both separate titles, when I watched the DVD, were affected.
    Are you trying to put both a 16:9 and 4:3 on the same DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Though I had two titles - one 16:9 and the other 4:3, I could only find one title to change.
    If both titles are in the same VTS, and one is 4:3 and the other is 16:9, then one will always play with the wrong DAR. You'll have to separate the titles among 2 different VTS's, because all the titles in the same VTS must have the same DAR (4:3 or 16:9).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We covered this off over here : https://forum.videohelp.com/topic330233.html

If you want it to work, stop using NeroVision, or compromise your expectations and encode everything 4:3, with letterboxing if necessary.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    We covered this off over here : https://forum.videohelp.com/topic330233.html

If you want it to work, stop using NeroVision, or compromise your expectations and encode everything 4:3, with letterboxing if necessary.
    Guns1linger, yes, I know how you feel about NeroVision . . . you've told us before. Others have also said how they feel. This is why I posted this forum topic. People bag out Nerovision (and possible they should) but don't say what is a good alternative - other than freeware where you have to mess around with text files, etc.

As for the version of Videstudio, I have version 9.

As for PGCEdit, it is probably something I'm doing wrong. But I don't have a clue how to make separate VTS's (folders?).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do apologise, my references to PGCEdit above should have been to IFOEdit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't about how I feel about NeroVision. It is about using the right tools for the job. You came along and said I want to build a box and I want to use a saw to knock int he nails but it doesn't work right. I said don't use a saw, use a hammer. A saw can't do what you need. But you used the saw anyway, and now you are back saying "how do I fix the box ? - Oh don't tell me not to use the saw"

If you want use NeroVision to encode then the simplest fix afterwards is to use Rejig to extract all the video and audio streams, use ReStream to correct the AR on the titles that have been encoded incorrectly, then re-author with a new menu in a tool that supports 16:9 and multiple titlesets.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm specifically saying I want to find an ALTERNATIVE TO NERO - based upon opinions in this forum. That means I'm paying attention to what you're saying. I don't really see the need for what is bordering on a sarcastic reply.

To simply the purpose of this thread:

Is there commercially-available software that is GUARANTEED to flag the DVD properly. That is, software that, in a similar manner to NeroVision, simply needs you to import the AVI's or MPG's - not software that requires you to edit the DVD files after having created them?

I do appreciate the various suggestions, using mostly freeware, but surely, there is software that does the job properly during the initial creation of the DVD files - even if it does cost a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The latest version of tmpgenc DVD Author, various Ulead products - they all correctly handle 16:9.

I encode with a variety of tools and author with DVD Lab pro and 16:9 always works correctly. HCEnc is an excellent encoder that correctly flags 16:9.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guns1inger. I appreciate your suggestions. As I have time, I'll look into each one.

Much appreciated,
    Mark.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As for the version of Videstudio, I have version 9.
    That supports 16:9 but I don't know exactly what the procedures are to specify 16:9 or if you can. It may just grab the aspect info from the header of the source. Drop Something on the timeline then click Share>Create Video>Custom which will open the "save as" dialog box. Click the options button and under the general tab see if you have a choice between 16:9 and 4:3 .

You can try the Ulead boards for better information as they will be more familiar with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As for PGCEdit, it is probably something I'm doing wrong. But I don't have a clue how to make separate VTS's (folders?).
    Most authoring apps will create separate VTS files for each title. Possibly Nero is combining them.

If they're separate titles, they should at least have a separate menu button to select them on the menu screen when you play the DVD. They can then have different specs.

Anyway, I use GuiForDVDAuthor to author.
    I've made DVDs with NTSC and PAL, 4:3 and 16:9 as separate titles and it all works (at least on a PAL or multi format player).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I repeatedly read of those who hate NeroVision because, among other things, it doesn't flag widescreen properly. I've found this to be the case. It's the same for Roxio & Ulead.

So can someone who says these are no good please tell me what is GUARANTEED to flag widescreen properly - preferably the lowest cost first?
    I use NVE3 alot. I usually first convert (PAL and NTSC), both WS and FS, with MainConcept to WS/16:9/NTSC first. If I'm in a hurry I'll use NVE3 for the final compilation. It does not re-encode MC's output. If I need a bit more tweaking I use Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD (a very cool app).

Here's a screenshot from PGCEdit from one of my NVE3 16:9 projects, seems to be flagged correctly.

The Womble projects produce the same result.
    Quote Quote