VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am trying to convert a tv series that in mkv format however i am having real trouble in finding a solution with the subtitles.

I have extracted it using mkvextract and the sub is in a .ass file with additional ttf files. Someone suggested to use Subtitle workshop but even trying to load the .ass file it coming back. This format is not support despite it clearly saying it does. My only guess is that the .ass file must be in some irregular format.

Can someone help or better still suggest a better way of getting the subtitles to .srt to allow me to at least try and convery with avi2dvd.

any better suggestions would be much appreicated.

Many Thanks

Kyo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

SubResynch (comes in the VobSub package) can open ASS files and convert them to SRT. But if something's wrong with the ASS format subs, then I don't know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the problem is that the ass file doesn't contain the text for some reason. The subs come from the ttf etc? It really weird and i can't figure it out. The .ass file is only 3k so not really sure
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I see it's image subs and you can't use subtitle workshop then(information from your other topic). Did you try subresync? It can ocr image subtitles to text.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .TTF files should normally be TrueType font files.

What do you get if you load the .ass file in, say, Notepad?
    (Edit: Baldrick, I don't know if it's an image-based sub file if Kyo says it's only 3k. That's why I'm curious about what shows up in Notepad (or any other text browser).)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am experiencing this exact same problem also, Ive converted the .ASS to ANSI
    The file is 2kb's in size and mainly filled with things such as aspect ratio etc.

but it is surrounded by many true type font files.

Subtitle work shop refuses to work " The file "X" is a bad subtitle or an unsupported format.

Subresync does nothing when I drag and drop. or sub mux.

.Ass into .SRT sure is a challenge!

Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, I will post everything I have done if I can get this to work so others may use it as reference if they're as unlucky as me and OP
    Quote Quote  
  7. Subtitle workshop has worked for me from .ass=>srt

You lose all the formatting, colors, fancy stuff, but it should keep the text. Sometimes there are a few character errors, but that's to be expected going to a text based sub

Another idea is to search for the .srt movie subs on a database. e.g. opensubtitles.org, many others
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DSRT
    Just drop a mkv-file (damaged MKV & ASS/SSA also accepted) into DSRT.
    Alt+Shift+I - Convert ASS to SRT
    Ctrl+F7 - remove overlaps and other errors
    or
    Alt+F11 - remove errors and... just try it. 8)
    Ctrl+S - save. Ctrl+Shift+S save as ASCII.
    F4 shift.
    Alt+V edit with video.
    See. "Script" menu & readme for other options.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, people.
    As simple process, convert ass to srt is available for many progs, but HOW MAKE this operation without lose formating and, especcially, colors. It's very important! I can't find any soft, which could do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's because you can't do it. .srt format subs are plain text only, and don't allow for formatting (styles, positioning) and colors.

While I'm on the subject, does anyone know if it's possible to render .ass subtitles into Vobsub format, yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by woodelf
    Hi, people.
    As simple process, convert ass to srt is available for many progs, but HOW MAKE this operation without lose formating and, especially, colors. It's very important! I can't find any soft, which could do it.
    As previous, this can't be done (unless you use non-standard SRT with HTML styles).

If formatting is important why can't you use the ASS? What is the target application?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 Ai Haibara, AlanHK,
    It can be done, assure you both.
    SRT vol.2 (AlanHK, exactly, with html tags) can do this operation,
    but why is not in internet convertor from ass to srt vol.2?!
    I need 2 formats, modern (ass-ssa) and popular (srt), for choose.
    But my subs are bi-lingual (eng (orig) + rus), so I need use different (two) colors for 2 langs. Just, it is not so simple to do colored srt by hands, after then ass, which I can convert only in plain srt. =(

2 Ai Haibara, about your question, what do you mean - to convert or anithing else?
    If convert - you can use Aegisub, brilliant soft for work with ass, it can convert ass to sub without any problems. But, as I know formats, which name is "sub" are so many, of any subrirle-progs, so I can't ensure you it will be yours "sub"...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's probably not an option in the converter because, as AlanHK mentioned, it's not standard, and I'm not even sure how many programs actually support it (that's part of the reason I didn't mention it).

As for my question, I meant the Vobsub (.sub/.idx bitmap format subs) format, not the .sub (plain text) format. Yes, you can convert it to plain-text .sub, but like converting to standard .srt, you tend to lose most of the formatting and effects.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by woodelf
    2 Ai Haibara, AlanHK,
    It can be done, assure you both.
    SRT vol.2 (AlanHK, exactly, with html tags) can do this operation,
    Most SRT renderers DO NOT SUPPORT HTML tags, It's a non-standard hack.
    If I use these in, for instance, GuiForDVDAuthor, it will just render the tags as text.

Subtitle Creator DOES support HTML styles, so I can use that to make a SUP file. But in general, if you want formatted subtitles, use ASS/SSA. That's why it was invented.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by demkd View Post
    DSRT
    Just drop a mkv-file (damaged MKV & ASS/SSA also accepted) into DSRT.
    Alt+Shift+I - Convert ASS to SRT
    Ctrl+F7 - remove overlaps and other errors
    or
    Alt+F11 - remove errors and... just try it. 8)
    Ctrl+S - save. Ctrl+Shift+S save as ASCII.
    F4 shift.
    Alt+V edit with video.
    See. "Script" menu & readme for other options.
    Hey this worked great for me!!!!!!!!! I used it to convert the ass to srt subtitle in Chocolate (the thai movie) and they look professional.. Very pleased, thank you! Two year old post but awesome still.
    Quote Quote  
  16. A good way to convert ASS subtitles to SRT is to use Aegisub (load the ASS file, then go to File > Export).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can save your .ass file into SRT like this:
    Load the *.ass file in Aegisub. Click the file menu and click Export Subtitles.
    Open [Text encoding] and choose US-ASCII. Then click [Export...] and name your desired file.
    That's all.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Genin View Post
    You can save your .ass file into SRT like this:
    Load the *.ass file in Aegisub. Click the file menu and click Export Subtitles.
    Open [Text encoding] and choose US-ASCII. Then click [Export...] and name your desired file.
    That's all.
    I just found a command line tool that seems to handle the .ass to .srt

http://sourceforge.net/projects/saconv/

I just tested on an .ass input and the .srt output looks good.

SubResynch works pretty quickly but if you have a folder full of .ass files it would be cool to convert in batch.

edit: even though it's a command line app, there seems to be some .NET code involved. I don't see anything on the site or in the downloaded files that specifies exactly what .NET version is required, if any. All I can say is run it on the command line. If it works it should spit out some help text.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 27th Nov 2010 at 16:36.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried SAConv - didn't work, just gave me an error - Error: The type initializer for 'SubtitleAPI.NET.Subtitles.Formats' threw an exception.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I suggest you post the error info with your system info on SourceForge.net bug report for the particular project.

Unless you post more info than you did above it's worthless though.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is the complete error that is returned.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all!

I am author of SAConv.

There was an issue with x64 systems which now is fixed.

Latest version can be downloaded here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/saconv/files/Releases/SAConv-1.2.0.0.7z/download
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by i2van View Post
    Hi all!

I am author of SAConv.

There was an issue with x64 systems which now is fixed.

Latest version can be downloaded here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/saconv/files/Releases/SAConv-1.2.0.0.7z/download
    Thanks for the program and the update.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello to all

I now it's late for this topic(only 3 years) but i have today the same problem with a ass. file(nice name)

OK to be short pen the mkv file with bs player pro ,press "pause"-->click right on the image-->subtitles

-->primary-->subtitle editor,click on "subtitle"(left corner up)-->save the subtitle ,name it and good luck.

It work for me ,but attention , don't try when the movie is playing , you'll get "error"

I hope somebody find this interesting

Sorry for the mistakes,I not speak very well english
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Forum,

with a "grep" and "awk" you already come a long way. I used the following code to convert my .ASS to .SRT :
    Code:
    grep Dialogue | \
    awk -F, 'BEGIN { TELLER="1"; }
             { printf("%s\n0%s,%s0 --> 0%s,%s0\n",TELLER,substr($2,0,7),substr($2,9,2),substr($3,0,7),substr($3,9,2));
               TELLER++;}
             { DIALOGUE=$10;
               for(i=11;i<=NF;i++)
               {
                   DIALOGUE=DIALOGUE","$i
               };
               printf ("%s\n\n",DIALOGUE)}'
    the blog entry gives some more information. I can't guarantee that it is flawless, but it did the job for the ASS's (*cough*) in my collection.

Besides that, I also found the code by "hungwei.hsu", but I haven't tested that yet.

Kind greetings,

Wim
    Quote Quote  
  26. http://sub-converter.hostei.com here u can convert online subtitles ass to srt.(works good and is free)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by l-a-d View Post
    http://sub-converter.hostei.com here u can convert online subtitles ass to srt.(works good and is free)
    ...and completely useless for batch conversion... Plus it adds google analytics script tags to the end of file.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I fixed script. There was a problem with acces to temporary directory
    Im not a profesional programmer actually im not programmer at all. ive learned php from web and made this as a practice so its not anything big but im sure some people can find this usefull and ill be very grateful for testing and reporting any problems
    Last edited by l-a-d; 17th Jul 2011 at 19:10.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Here is one more problem:

Sometimes some lines with the same time is generated from ass script, i.e.

00:00:10
    Text

Text

Text

Many ass to srt convertors does it.
    Quote Quote  
  30. It looks like that:
    Ass file
    00:00:10 {\option1}text
    00:00:10 {\anorher option}text

people do that to get better formated text but this output
    srt:
    00:00:10 text
    00:00:10 text
    is not anythink bad bcs player will ignore second line.
    Quote Quote