VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to digital TV, so please be patient with me.

I just got a Samsung LCD TV. I've connected the analog audio output to my old stereo system, which works well in conjunction with the internal TV speakers when watching digital broadcasts. However, when watching analog broadcast channels, the audio going to the stereo system is slightly out of sync with the audio from the internal speakers, producing an echo effect. I get the same echo when using my DVD player, which is sending analog audio to inputs on the TV. There is no trace of this problem when watching digital channels using the built in tuner.

I called Samsung customer support, and was told that the problem is with my old stereo system, not the TV. This doesn't seem correct to me. It seems to me that if the TV is sending audio to its analog outputs that is out of sync with the audio going to its internal speakers, then there's an internal problem with the TV. The customer support folks told me that this behavior is typical of digital TVs connected to older sound systems, and that I'd just have to live with it or get a new home theater system that could adjust the sound delay to compensate. Is this really the case? Is this typical behavior from digital TVs, or is Samsung trying to avoid honoring my warranty? For what it's worth, I never had this problem with older (and MUCH cheaper) analog equipment.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Frank
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It isn't an issue with your Tv per se. The real problem arrises from using the TV speakers and the surround speakers together. The TV is receiving the audio signal, sending it to the speakers and to the audio outputs, which then go to your receiver, get processed, and sent out to your speakers. The signal obviously arrives at the TV internal speakers sooner than it can be output to the receiver, processed, and sent to the other speakers. Some TV's and DVD players have audio options (delay) to help compensate for such issues, others don't. But it technically isn't a problem with the TV.

You can either switch to all digital or not use the TV speakers for analog signals. If you have a 5.1 (or similar) surround system, your TV speakers are corrupting your sound field anyway.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a Samsung LCD HDTV receiver (LA26R7) and find myself extremely disapointed. Connecting a long standing audio video receiver with larger speakers to either the TV's digital or analogue outputs produced a "can't bear to listen to" out of sync sound (audio echo).

This problem did not occur on my other TV even when using it with either a set top box for digital TV or a DVD player. I mostly run both TV and AVR speakers together without a problem and very nice sound (in my opinion). There the set top box and DVD were both connected directly using analogue cabling to the TV, but they both were also "wired" digitally to the AVR (and no drama).

When using the same AVR with the Samsung LCD HDTV I get different responses from DVD input and internal digital TV when compared to its own speakers. Using an XBOX to an AVI input on the TV behaves the same as the DVD inputs. To check this futher I also tried a simple boost amplifier designed to plug into a computer or simple audio device and got the same results (echo when running with TV's own speakers).

When using DVD or AVI inputs the best response was to source the AVR from the TV's digital output (no echo)but this did not work (produced echos) when using the Samsung TV as a digital TV receiver.

The TV's speakers, analogue and digital outputs also seem to have 3 different delays. The input delays (TV verse DVD & AVI) also seem to vary. In other words the Samsung TV is all over the "shop". All this seem to suggest slow, inexpensive componetry.

This is just poor design/engineering resulting in a really poor quality product, in my opinion. I'll be taking it back if I can. I've got to say that this sort experience in the market does not benifit the market.
    Quote Quote