VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a good easy free software for this?
    also will it effect the quality?
    i have an mp3 1hr 51mins long and need to break it down into chapters/titles to play in the car on a cd player. i downloaded cd wave editor but need the file as a wav.
    suggestions?
    help.
    PS: could you explain the 'how to' in steps as i'm one rookie that finds computer lingo reely hard!
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to break up a MP3, use MP3DirectCut instead

Great little (FREE!) program to chop up MP3s in an instant with no quality loss.

You can set the chop points or you can have it find "silence" or you can set uniform cuts.

I use it to chop a weekly podcast into 9-minute chunks and then burn those to an audio CD that's set to "no gaps" between tracks.

Steps?

1) load program
    2) load audio file
    3) go to Special ->

For fixed size chunks
    4) choose Auto Cue
    5) set the size of the chunks

For "silence based" chunks
    4) choose Pause Detection
    5) set the options, don't forget the increase "after pause skip (sec)" or you can have tiny chunks

Either way...
    6 ) choose "start" and it will create the cuts
    7 ) Save them by going to File -> Save Split
    8 ) set your destination folder and file name template

TaDa! Done.

Burn them with your favorite program. I like CDR Tools Front End because it's free, portable, and can create "no gap" audio discs (click on the "Tracks" button, set it to "no pause" then make sure you clicked on "DAO" in the box in the middle of the screen)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hiya, i downloaded the mps direct cut... but dnt understand how to make the tracks... i tried the auto cue and understand that and how to do it but i would like to cut the audio into pieces/tracks myself as some are longer than others... plz help
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Load the file into Mp3DirectCut

Use the scroll bar to find the spot that you want to "cut" the track.

Click with the mouse in the space.

Push the "CUT" button (lower left). You will see a dotted line with a "0.0" on it.

Keep scrolling, clicking and cutting until you reach the end.

When you're done you'll have a bunch of cut points listed under the "List" menu.

Then just choose "File -> Save Split..." to create the cut up files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi this does work... i've tried it but when i come to play the tracks the ending cuts off 2 seconds before the actual track does... is this normal?? shall i cut it off two seconds after the track? so that it is going on to the 2ndd track?
    Quote Quote