VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a 1280x720 avi file. If I play it on my computer the aspect ratio doesn't look ok. This is made to look good on a 16x9 tv I think

I want to resize the movie to ? x 720 so that it looks ok.

Anybody know which is the number to use for the width?
    thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    post a gspot image with info on your file
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what do you mean it doesn't look OK ?

it should be letter boxed , with blk bars top & bottom, so that round objects 'wheels' etc.. are round and the people look correct , NOT to thin

if it is filling your screen and the people look to thin, and tires look like tall ovals
    then use the menu of your player software and change the display VIEW / aspect to 'default OR 16:9' so that it displays correctly

if you want to fill a 4:3 screen with out distortion, either zoom in on the video "player menu' or re-code the video cropping off the sides of the picture to make it more sq

the first way gives you the same picture as the second way , but you don't have to do any work , or destroy the video file
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not trying to play it full screen, it is just that the avi file is a flat 1280 x 720 and I want to reduce the width so the faces don't look too wide.

To give you an example, if I make an avi file from a regular dvd I get a 720x480 avi that I resize to 640x480 so that the correct ratio is ok when played on a computer.

But with a 1280 x 720 what is the correct resolution to resize? Something like 1200x720 I guess? I would like to know the correct resolution to use.

If I had a hd dvd drive I would stick an hd dvd movie in it and look at which resolution PowerDvd shows it to me so that the faces aren't looking wide.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're confusiing 2 different but related things: Square vs. Nonsquare pixels, and Anamorphic vs. Letterboxed vs. Fullscreen display.

720x480 is Nonsquare. Going -> Square = 640x480. IF your 720x480 was 4:3 AR and NOT 16:9. If it was 16:9, you should convert to 853x480 for square pixels.

OTOH, 1280x720 is SUPPOSED to be square pixels already! AND 16:9.
    You --shouldn't-- need to do any converting, unless the bloak what converted/saved it 1st did it wrong.
    If it's wrong, there's NO way of knowing for sure what it was SUPPOSED to have been. We might be able to do a decent guess if you could post a screenshot, especially one with people and/or "circles" in it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks a lot! I'll guess then
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried using VLC player, it has more viewing aspect ratio settings than most players, including 16:10 and 5:4 wide screen 22?

there should be a setting there that will let you watch the video with out the peoples faces being to wide, is suspect you need to make the aspect taller by using 16:10 for watching them or perhaps 5:4

but try VLC and try all the different play aspect viewing/display ratios
    Quote Quote