VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be using it mainly to make backups of my 360 games and also backing up movies to play in the 360 HD DVD player. I'm pretty sure all the 360 games are HD (I might be wrong?) so that's why I need an HD burner. I heard about something called "lightscribe" which on the regular DVD writers is only about $15 more and was wondering if they offer this on HD writers too. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are no high def recording DVD boxes yet.

Check out DVHS or wait.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-VHS

PS: Actually, I don't recall a D-VHS recorder that has high def analog component inputs. It would need to be a MPeg2 transport stream over IEEE-1394. The XBox360 only outputs YPbPr, VGA or HDMI (on the newer model only).

How much are you willing to pay for this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVHS wouldn't work anyway because the 360 plays discs not tapes. I'd be willing to pay about 400 max.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tk001
    DVHS wouldn't work anyway because the 360 plays discs not tapes. I'd be willing to pay about 400 max.
    You are stuck with 480i.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The TV is a 1080p so no way lol. How much would I be looking at for the burner I want?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TV is a 1080p so no way lol. How much would I be looking at for the burner I want?
    Are you ready for 75-750GB per hour files?

One possible way but not yet proven.
    See here. Investment in the $2000-3000 range depending what you already have.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic330011.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by tk001
    I'll be using it mainly to make backups of my 360 games and also backing up movies to play in the 360 HD DVD player. I'm pretty sure all the 360 games are HD (I might be wrong?) so that's why I need an HD burner. I heard about something called "lightscribe" which on the regular DVD writers is only about $15 more and was wondering if they offer this on HD writers too. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
    I'm not exactly sure I understand what you want to accomplish with a HD DVD burner. Toshiba started shipping the first desktop pc hd dvd burner in late Jan 2007. Link to info here:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=19413

Game backups wouldn't make sense as 360 games are dual-layer dvdrom format. Info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Storage

So I'm guessing you want to backup movies purchased in HD DVD format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a little common sense here: the HD-DVD player is an ADD-ON device for movie playback, it is not used to play games. 360 games are standard DVD discs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    HD DVD Writers:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters?writehddvdr=1

as you can see you can't choose from that many yet.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yeah I know the HD-DVD player is an add-on, for some reason I kept thinking the games were HD-DVD's but yeah that doesn't make sense. I do want to backup games AND movies though, so I would need a HD writer for the movies.

I know there's some cable I can hook up to my computer and then to the TV so I could play it on the computer and have it play on the TV, that would work too wouldn't it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yeah I know the HD-DVD player is an add-on, for some reason I kept thinking the games were HD-DVD's but yeah that doesn't make sense. I do want to backup games AND movies though, so I would need a HD writer for the movies.

I know there's some cable I can hook up to my computer and then to the TV so I could play it on the computer and have it play on the TV, that would work too wouldn't it?
    I misunderstood your need. I thought you wanted to record your game play.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Noooo, when I said "backup" I meant burn copies of the games I have onto blank DVD-R's. Same thing for movies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Noooo, when I said "backup" I meant burn copies of the games I have onto blank DVD-R's. Same thing for movies.
    Good luck on that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, looks like there's a couple Toshibas but they're relatively expensive, I might wait awhile.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lol...and the discs are $15 each. But then what did you expect, the technology is new and still has bugs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    lol...and the discs are $15 each. But then what did you expect, the technology is new and still has bugs.
    Yeah, seems like a waste, I could just buy a brand new movie for a few dollars more than burning it.
    Quote Quote